Rotax 915IS Turbo, fuel injected 912IS

fly_tornado

Rotax just caused a stir in the AirVenture media center with the announcement of the turbocharged 915is. Essentially a turbo version of the popular 912iS, the new 915iS should be available in the second half of 2017.

Rotax says take off power is available to 15,000 ft, and that’s 135 hp at 5800 rpm using 98 RON gasoline (95 RON is the minimum required; 100LL is acceptable). Torque is also increased, as Rotax said a new PSRU gearbox is used, but a torque rating was not immediately announced.

• Like 2

Turbo as well as electronic ignition, the potential is certainly there for great results. Hopefully it doesn't have too many bugs.

Couple it with a constant speed prop and you have the potential for a very economical cruiser, albeit, as FH alluded to, with a few more things that could go wrong.

• Like 1

seen this blog yesterday

ROTAX 915 IS: BRP UNVEILS A NEW TURBOCHARGED ROTAX AIRCRAFT ENGINE

Written by Rotax-Owner

BRP introduces a more powerful 135-hp Rotax aircraft engine at the EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh, Wisconsin – the Rotax 915 iS.

Oshkosh / Wisconsin, U.S.A., July 21, 2015 BRP introduces a more powerful 135-hp Rotax aircraft engine at the EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh, Wisconsin – the Rotax 915 iS.

Based on the proven concept of the Rotax 912 / 914 engine series, the Rotax 915 iS engine offers more power, the best power-to-weight ratio in its class and full take-off power up to at least 15,000 feet (4,570 m) with a service ceiling of 23,000 feet (7,010 m).

“This more powerful aircraft engine – the Rotax 915 iS – was specifically requested by our customers. It opens the market to larger, heavier aircraft, larger gyrocopters and even small helicopters, or simply more performance for current applications,” said Thomas Uhr, vice president BRP-Powertrain and general manager BRP-Powertrain GmbH & Co KG. “BRP’s Rotax 4-stroke aircraft engines are already industry leaders; opening other markets represents a good growth opportunity.”

The introduction of the Rotax 915 iS engine, a 4-stroke, 4-cylinder turbocharged aircraft engine with intercooler and a redundant fuel injection system, is in response to market demand for a modern, more powerful engine allowing higher payload and shorter take-offs. It delivers the most advanced aircraft engine technology resulting in low operating cost and ease of use. The serial production of the Rotax 915 iS engine is scheduled for second half of 2017.

TECHNICAL DESCRIPTION

• 4-cylinder

• 4-stroke liquid/air-cooled engine with opposed cylinders

• Dry sump forced lubrication with separate oil tank,

automatic adjustment by hydraulic, valve tappet

• Redundant electronic fuel injection, ignition, ECU

• Engine management system

• Electric starter

• Propeller speed reduction gearbox

• Air intake system

• Turbocharger and intercooler

• Target TBO (Time between overhauls) 2,000 hours

• Efficiency: 280 - 310 g/kWh BFSC at 5,500 rpm

• Service Ceiling of 23,000 feet

• BEST POWER TO WEIGHT RATIO!

• FULL TAKE OFF POWER UP TO AT LEAST 15,000 FEET!

• EXTENSION OF 912/914 ENGINE FAMILY - PROVEN RELIABILITY!

WITH MORE THAN 50 MILLION FLIGHT HOURS

The 915iS will be available second half of 2017

But if you are looking for something in the J230 airframe how about a turbo direct drive flat four aero engine already available at 74kg? not quite the fun factor of fuel injection and its about 20g/Kwh more on fuel burn at cruise ... but its got even less to go wrong, its lighter and available now. And consider that at around 100hp cruise that's 2kg of fuel more per hour ... so the R915 does not make back the extra 10kg of engine until hour 5 ... and those 5 hours have cost you 14L of extra petrol.

1036169229_DatenblattS2100ULT.gif.9318a27af969c77ea5f472a4c146d1ac.gif

that engine, in a J230 airframe, will be a bulletproof reliable, fast and well performing aircraft.....

Absoulutely agree.......

But do you think it will ever happen? Not under the current ownership.

Getting a fair bit away from a simple motor that you can diagnose yourself. The 80 HP 912.version will remain the most reliable of them all. Nev

I wonder how successful a 6 cyl with the small capacity 80hp cylinders but 100hp comp ratio would have been.

May have reved to 6000 continuous or more.

I can't help think Rotax are over complicating these newer engines.

I like the sds type injection....pretty simple.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

after flying behind rotax now for 1000's of hours, i dont think they are overly complicated, once you know what your looking at, they are surprisingly simple. and the proof of the overly complicated engines being reliable is in the hours they have flown.

That'd make a really nice engine in the RV-9. A little tail heavy, but not overly so, and 120HP in the low teens on Mogas makes a cheap cross country cruiser!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm betting the price will be approaching the cost of the rest of the aircraft, but EFI and intercooled turbo are mature technologies. Despite the much higher parts count, modern turbo efi engines are more reliable and efficient than the old carburetted engines in ground based vehicles. More to go wrong does not necessarily translate into less reliable (and rarely does these days). More parts are often needed to increase reliability.

Great engines no doubt but cost and weight are a big issue, suggest this one might push past $40K inc prop, thats double a similar spec conventional offering.

Then your into discussing value and risk, and the debate isnt crystal clear.

Whilst complexity may not necessarily mean unreliability it sure adds to repair cost and greatly raises risk IF something does go wrong.

• Agree 3

Who ever is at Oshkosh... Keep your eyes pealed for a D-Motor.. The six should be out.

It is high torque slow revving just perfect for direct drive to prop.

Fluid cooled hence no snap cooling after a slow hard climb.

Regards

KP

• Like 1

Good on Rotax moving forward, with both the turbo (in the 914) and the EFI (in the 912iS) already flying it may not even have too many glitches to start off with.

I guess it would make nice combo with a Sling 4 or perhaps another modern 4 seater (or maybe even in a C172, would the turbo and CS prop make up for the 25hp it has less than a standard 172?).

I remember reading about a six cilinder Rotax a long time ago, I guess that didn't get anywhere?

Rotax are continuing to develop the original concept engine obviously for cost reasons. This could eventually cause unreliability as it's still much the same engine in there doing the work.

Comment on the SIX cylinder v/s Four. Smoothness is much better with the sixes as there is NO time where all pistons are stationary at once, in a six and it happens TWICE each revolution in a four. (in line or flat) Nev

turbo charging the 912IS is an obvious step. adding a new gearbox with a new vibration dampening system will also fix some issues. I wonder if the 915 gearbox will end up replacing the 912 one?

• 3 weeks later...

Missed this thread somehow, but came upon the 915 via write-ups from Oshkosh.

The best comment I saw was "Rotax have taken all the most expensive bits of all their engines, and combined them into one engine!"

I think that will pretty much sum up the price when we get it....

Was a shame the Rotax V-6 never went anywhere, and I've always thought they made an engineering error by not making the 912 with full crossflow heads.

The move from a flat four to a flat six would have been a non event.

Imagine, 1.8 litre, turbo'ed, 150/160hp, and turbine smooth......

Would it be a 918, or a 924?

A flat 6 would have more compatable parts with the 4 than a v6 and gain favourable marketing leverage off the flat four cylinder I think.

Building on a brilliant design etc......

Rotax are laughing all the way to the bank and are just lucky one of the "big four" Japnese manufacturers have'nt ventured into the field.

The data the japs must have gained on engines over the past 30 years must be staggering.