Mark Skidmore email address please

Just started to update AIP..aeronautical information publication. I would like to write to mr skidmire and ask for plain English writing to return to the AIP.

Example gen 3.2 -9 page replaced. Why was it replaced. Because the powers that be have turned the words Aerodrome Reference Point into ARP for pities sake! Doesn't take up anymore space to write it out in full. Another completely useless acronym ... And a completely useless replacement page reprint.

Anyone have his direct email ..thought I saw it on here on a previous post when he first started work.

ARP takes up a lot less space then Aerodrome Reference Point and as Nev has pointed out been an acronym for some time. Anything to reduce the size of AIP is a good thing in my books. (tackle ERSA next)

The principle is.....the source documents should be in plain English. Abbreviate to your hearts content after that.

My all time favourite is CIvil Aviation Orders 48 Flight Time Limitations. Here is an example..."after an FCMs assigned FDP commences, the AOC holder may assign to the FCM a modified FDP ..."

• Agree 3

I agree with you Chocolate, there's no excuse for acronyms in the digital age, and worse, it seems they create enough confusion and reluctance to learn that it's affecting safety.

When thousands of pilots were flying every day in WW2 and there were no word processors, acronyms made sense, and in daily use were easily remembered along with morse code.

In the 1950 - 1980 period it was fashionable to fling the acronyms around the bars and tables to impress students and families, some people being able to concoct almost complete sentences of acronyms. Their flying of course usually didn't reflect this superior knowledge.

This habit has carried over to today where people boast about a flying trip to YSMI when even they had to look it up, and virtually no one reading the story has a clue where it is.

Today a commercial pilot flying every day would know them, but starts to get dangerous to expect recreational pilots, flying 20 - 50 hours a week to remember them.

• Agree 7

The use of the abbreviations is infuriating. While it saves paper the voice effort is not much reduced Same as aerodrome abbreviations YTIF etc. I went from YNOP to YGEE and the diverted to Y kill a moo cow. Y confuse everyone, I ask U? ADF was a radio compass receiver . Not Australian Defence Forces. CONFUSION is a bad thing in aviation.. SAB... Secret Aviation Business? Nev

• Agree 1

I doubt that you will get his personal address, but you could go to tha CASA internet page and use "contact us"

You will get read by someone and you may even get your message across.

Last time I looked there were about 16 pages of acronyms, so I doubt anyone knows them all.

I doubt that you will get his personal address, but you could go to tha CASA internet page and use "contact us"You will get read by someone and you may even get your message across.

Last time I looked there were about 16 pages of acronyms, so I doubt anyone knows them all.

Try playing with something like a 737. In the maintenance manuals, the same acronym is often used for different things, depending on which system you're working on. There are several CPUs, some are hydraulic, some are electrical.

Do you mean CSD's. Nev

No, I can recall having to pull the CPU out of the vertical stab (Csomething Power Unit), essentially just a rudder servo, but when searching CPU in the maintenance manual, the number of CPUs was disturbing.

On topic, I think, generally speaking, having ex-military (especially higher ranking) in leadership roles for civilian tasks, will never work out.

1. They are used to a virtually bottomless pit of other people's money

2. They are used to getting their own way

3.They are very good at using knee-jerk reactions to fix perceived problems.

Just look at the defence procurement system, they never buy "off the shelf", it's never "under budget", usually "unique",and it's usually superseded by the time it sees service.

EDIT; that may have been a PCU, unless it was changed to reduce confusion.

I am in furious agreement with many of your characterisations. Military people are trained as they are for specific reasons. Your#3 is a result of the concept.

"Make a decision Man, even if it's the wrong one. Don't be indecisive." Nev

I am in furious agreement with many of your characterisations. Military people are trained as they are for specific reasons. Your#3 is a result of the concept."Make a decision Man, even if it's the wrong one. Don't be indecisive." Nev

Mark Skidmore was one of our pilots when I was at 1SQN inn the 80's. I have no recollection of his personality, but I am pretty sure that he was the pilot that I had my one and only short F111 jolly with when I was posted out. Should have been memorable, but was very boring, had a translating cowl warning/caution on takeoff, so we were restricted to less than 450 kts and no abrupt manoeuvring.

• Like 1

Hi "NEV"

Your name is quite normal, Had a friend of a friend stay with me, his name JOHN

can you guess his surname. DOE , and his sister of cause had to be JANE.

Yes I did check his passport.

PS. can anyone tell me what the Y in airport address stands for

spacesailor