Irish security, beware the dangerous Minions

Gnarly Gnu

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GraemeM
I wonder if GG saw the "humour" in that. If not, is he one of the "protected species" he mentioned?

Your just a tad slow mate and have a bad memory.

I am very sure GG saw the humour in his post and that was ME that made the comment and used the term "protected species".

Graeme.

Guest GraemeM
I wonder if GG saw the "humour" in that. If not, is he one of the "protected species" he mentioned?

Your just a tad slow mate and have a bad memory.

I am very sure GG saw the humour in his post and that was ME that made the comment and used the term "protected species".

Graeme.

Reminds me on a joke I heard some years back.

A travelling salesman was in a new town, not knowing the town he decided to pop into the pub a few doors down from his hotel for a beer.

Inside the pub the lighting was dim and the inhabitants filling a certain stereotype, lots of leather, studs, men dancing together.

Deciding that what the hell, beer is beer, wherever it is served, he proceeds to the bar and orders.

Two bearded types standing next to him wearing what cowboys would wear if cowboys wore leather straps were next to him at the bar. Suddenly one farted. *Phut* Shortly afterwards the other farted as well. *Phut*

Feeling a bit tight from the gas inside the salesman decided it must be an accepted thing in this town to fart in public. So he let out his load of gas *PPPFFFRRrrreeetttttt*

The psuedo-cowboys chimed up together, "Ah, a Virgin!"

• Haha 1

Reminds me on a joke I heard some years back.

A travelling salesman was in a new town, not knowing the town he decided to pop into the pub a few doors down from his hotel for a beer.

Inside the pub the lighting was dim and the inhabitants filling a certain stereotype, lots of leather, studs, men dancing together.

Deciding that what the hell, beer is beer, wherever it is served, he proceeds to the bar and orders.

Two bearded types standing next to him wearing what cowboys would wear if cowboys wore leather straps were next to him at the bar. Suddenly one farted. *Phut* Shortly afterwards the other farted as well. *Phut*

Feeling a bit tight from the gas inside the salesman decided it must be an accepted thing in this town to fart in public. So he let out his load of gas *PPPFFFRRrrreeetttttt*

The psuedo-cowboys chimed up together, "Ah, a Virgin!"

Okay! Okay! Okay.

I don't like the way this thread has gone off the rails. The very first post drew our attention to the robotic application of aviation security rules. GG was unwise to link two events in Ireland together and attempt to draw humour from our long standing use of the Irish as the butt of jokes, and then the fight started.

Please cease references to an act that a minority of humans engage in, and return to the initial point - robotic application of aviation security rules.

As for the Fart Gun - I love being woken by a blast from one in my ear and my 3 year-old grandson's cry of "Wake up, Poppy! Wake up!" I also love his giggles when I sneak up on him while he's engrossed in something on the TV and let the gun rip.

OME

• Like 2

Okay! Okay! Okay.

I don't like the way this thread has gone off the rails. The very first post drew our attention to the robotic application of aviation security rules. GG was unwise to link two events in Ireland together and attempt to draw humour from our long standing use of the Irish as the butt of jokes, and then the fight started.

Please cease references to an act that a minority of humans engage in, and return to the initial point - robotic application of aviation security rules.

As for the Fart Gun - I love being woken by a blast from one in my ear and my 3 year-old grandson's cry of "Wake up, Poppy! Wake up!" I also love his giggles when I sneak up on him while he's engrossed in something on the TV and let the gun rip.

OME

It’s officially called a "Fart Blaster". But to the security crew at Dublin Airport it may as well have been a loaded AR-15. Security labeled the toy a possible threat and confiscated it from a small boy. The toy, similar to the ones used by the “Minions” in the animated movie, “Despicable Me,” makes a fart sound when the trigger is pulled.

CMhMDb_XAAAd7BV.jpg

Seem to have gotten real soft after embracing the homo marriage thing. Even imitating their mating calls is offensive. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Our airfield Manager Pete Davis bought one of these in Florida,. . .and it sits on his wall amongst all the other signs and trophies from that country,. . . ASK DAVID ( DGL Fox ) to post a picture of a seriously GOOD hangar ! ! ! ! ( Must be nice to be a millionaire I often think. . . .)

It’s officially called a "Fart Blaster". But to the security crew at Dublin Airport it may as well have been a loaded AR-15. Security labeled the toy a possible threat and confiscated it from a small boy. The toy, similar to the ones used by the “Minions” in the animated movie, “Despicable Me,” makes a fart sound when the trigger is pulled.

CMhMDb_XAAAd7BV.jpg

Seem to have gotten real soft after embracing the homo marriage thing. Even imitating their mating calls is offensive. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Our airfield Manager Pete Davis bought one of these in Florida,. . .and it sits on his wall amongst all the other signs and trophies from that country,. . . ASK DAVID ( DGL Fox ) to post a picture of a seriously GOOD hangar ! ! ! ! ( Must be nice to be a millionaire I often think. . . .)

OK - I know this started with a fart joke linked to an absurd application of airport security and it has been pointed out that it was just the last line that went, in some peoples opinion, too far - I'm one of those people.

But factually GG, the marriage referendum in Ireland was not couched in terms of Gay, Lesbian or any other sexual activity but with reference to removal of distinction as to sex when contracting marriage - it was an anti-discrimination position as is clear in the text of the referendum. The English translation of which is:

"Marriage may be contracted in accordance with law by two persons without distinction as to their sex"

The second part of the 'joke' about farts being mating calls of homos again focused on you perceived/projected association of gay men with a particular sex act.

Given that I have a few decades of experience as a gay man I'll just point out that factually many gay men do not partake of the sex act you project the association to but I'm fairly confident that effectively reducing all gay men to animal status by attaching the 'mating call' comment to is going to be pretty much universally seen to be dehumanizing and offensive. . . I'd LOVE to see you defend today an equivalent racist reduction of people with dark skin to animal status as was common in jokes 40-50 years ago ...

GG you may not be in the same league as Rev Nile and as such are unlikely to be parodied in the Sydney Mardi Gras as he regularly is BUT if the Australasian Gay and Lesbian Pilots Network (AGLPN) do decide to wander up Oxford street again please forward an accurate head shot of you so we may accurately portray you - wouldn't want to broad brush offend innocent actual Gnus (antelope of the genus Connochaetes)

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

OK - I know this started with a fart joke linked to an absurd application of airport security and it has been pointed out that it was just the last line that went, in some peoples opinion, too far - I'm one of those people.

But factually GG, the marriage referendum in Ireland was not couched in terms of Gay, Lesbian or any other sexual activity but with reference to removal of distinction as to sex when contracting marriage - it was an anti-discrimination position as is clear in the text of the referendum. The English translation of which is:

"Marriage may be contracted in accordance with law by two persons without distinction as to their sex"

The second part of the 'joke' about farts being mating calls of homos again focused on you perceived/projected association of gay men with a particular sex act.

Given that I have a few decades of experience as a gay man I'll just point out that factually many gay men do not partake of the sex act you project the association to but I'm fairly confident that effectively reducing all gay men to animal status by attaching the 'mating call' comment to is going to be pretty much universally seen to be dehumanizing and offensive. . . I'd LOVE to see you defend today an equivalent racist reduction of people with dark skin to animal status as was common in jokes 40-50 years ago ...

GG you may not be in the same league as Rev Nile and as such are unlikely to be parodied in the Sydney Mardi Gras as he regularly is BUT if the Australasian Gay and Lesbian Pilots Network (AGLPN) do decide to wander up Oxford street again please forward an accurate head shot of you so we may accurately portray you - wouldn't want to broad brush offend innocent actual Gnus (antelope of the genus Connochaetes)

Fortunately, generational change will consign attitudes like GG's to the dustbin of history where they belong. The people of Ireland should be applauded for proving their country, once bound by the intolerant views of the church, is one that recognises that all people should have the same rights.

If our politicians had the courage to do their job, we'd have the same equality here. Not sure why we need a plebiscite/referendum on this issue when we didn't get one on offshore refugee processing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Fortunately, generational change will consign attitudes like GG's to the dustbin of history where they belong. The people of Ireland should be applauded for proving their country, once bound by the intolerant views of the church, is one that recognises that all people should have the same rights.

If our politicians had the courage to do their job, we'd have the same equality here. Not sure why we need a plebiscite/referendum on this issue when we didn't get one on offshore refugee processing.

I did laugh out loud when I read that.Why is that some groups of people are a protected species? Are we unable to laugh at ourselves any more, the poor old Irish have been coping it for some time and nobody objects.

Graeme.

You raise an interesting point, Graeme. Plenty of downtrodden minorities have developed their own humour (eg Jewish comedians' jokes about avoiding washing because the Nazis boiled down their relatives to make soap).

There are plenty of blacks who can tell jokes against their own kind, but for us (lucky members of the dominant group which has for so long victimised these underdogs) to make these jokes is a whole different thing.

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

I did laugh out loud when I read that.Why is that some groups of people are a protected species? Are we unable to laugh at ourselves any more, the poor old Irish have been coping it for some time and nobody objects.

Graeme.

You raise an interesting point, Graeme. Plenty of downtrodden minorities have developed their own humour (eg Jewish comedians' jokes about avoiding washing because the Nazis boiled down their relatives to make soap).

There are plenty of blacks who can tell jokes against their own kind, but for us (lucky members of the dominant group which has for so long victimised these underdogs) to make these jokes is a whole different thing.

Have any of you actually read the Marriage Act that is Australian law? The only reference to the gender of the participants comes in the Section that deals with definition of terms used in the Act. Here is the definition of "marriage" as it appears in the Act: marriage means the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life. For the rest of the Act, the term used to describe any or both parties is "person/s".

The definition of "marriage" was only added to the Act in 2004 (Act No 126 of 2004). All that has to be done to include "same sex" unions under this Act is to replace the words "a man and a woman" with the words "two persons".

I also find it interesting that a law of the Commonwealth made using the powers granted to the Commonwealth by the Australian Constitution says that marriage is "for life", but another Act, the Family Law Act allows the breaking of this law by permitting divorce.

Old Man Emu

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Have any of you actually read the Marriage Act that is Australian law? The only reference to the gender of the participants comes in the Section that deals with definition of terms used in the Act. Here is the definition of "marriage" as it appears in the Act: marriage means the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life. For the rest of the Act, the term used to describe any or both parties is "person/s".

The definition of "marriage" was only added to the Act in 2004 (Act No 126 of 2004). All that has to be done to include "same sex" unions under this Act is to replace the words "a man and a woman" with the words "two persons".

I also find it interesting that a law of the Commonwealth made using the powers granted to the Commonwealth by the Australian Constitution says that marriage is "for life", but another Act, the Family Law Act allows the breaking of this law by permitting divorce.

Old Man Emu

That's right OME - and it was Little Johnny who put the words "a man and a woman" in there. Probably because of pressure from the same conservative elements that Abbott is so obviously appeasing by trying to delay the whole thing until after the election. As for Morrison's ridiculous call for a referendum, he's only doing it because he wants it to fail.

I'm hoping it backfires on them and brings out the young voters who aren't currently registered on the electoral rolls.

• Agree 4
  • Caution 1

That's right OME - and it was Little Johnny who put the words "a man and a woman" in there. Probably because of pressure from the same conservative elements that Abbott is so obviously appeasing by trying to delay the whole thing until after the election. As for Morrison's ridiculous call for a referendum, he's only doing it because he wants it to fail.

I'm hoping it backfires on them and brings out the young voters who aren't currently registered on the electoral rolls.

There is no need for a Referendum because there is no change to the Constitution involved, merely an amendment to an existing Act - as was made in 2004.

I would love to see the results of an opinion poll in Abbott's electorate. If it came back overwhelmingly in favour of altering the Act to remove the words relating to gender of participants, then would Abbott have the budgies to accept that is the will of the people he represents, or would he continue to enforce his personal opinion on that electorate.

I think the the majority of Australians fall into one of three groups: Anti-change; Pro-change and "For fu*k's sake, let's get onto something that affects each and every one of us, like taxation, or keeping ownership of our country and resources.

OME

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

There is no need for a Referendum because there is no change to the Constitution involved, merely an amendment to an existing Act - as was made in 2004.

I would love to see the results of an opinion poll in Abbott's electorate. If it came back overwhelmingly in favour of altering the Act to remove the words relating to gender of participants, then would Abbott have the budgies to accept that is the will of the people he represents, or would he continue to enforce his personal opinion on that electorate.

I think the the majority of Australians fall into one of three groups: Anti-change; Pro-change and "For fu*k's sake, let's get onto something that affects each and every one of us, like taxation, or keeping ownership of our country and resources.

OME

I still havn't seen what this is all about. I could see nothing offensive in the first post. It has certainly drawn out the whingeing minority to blather on about how badly treated they are.

As for gay marriage. there is nothing that a couple of same sex people cannot have that a married couple have, except to be married you have to be man and woman. it is all about changing the meaning of man and woman and half of that has already been done by such stupid ideas as changing chairman to chairperson.

At least it is giving the media something easy to waffle on about and our pollies will not be stuffing up anything important while they are worrying about gay marriage.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

I still havn't seen what this is all about. I could see nothing offensive in the first post. It has certainly drawn out the whingeing minority to blather on about how badly treated they are.

As for gay marriage. there is nothing that a couple of same sex people cannot have that a married couple have, except to be married you have to be man and woman. it is all about changing the meaning of man and woman and half of that has already been done by such stupid ideas as changing chairman to chairperson.

At least it is giving the media something easy to waffle on about and our pollies will not be stuffing up anything important while they are worrying about gay marriage.