STING TL 2000 DOWN IN ALPS

Today in Melbourne I saw a parked bike with a car tyre on the rear wheel. Square profile and automotive tread, about 8 inches wide. I reckon he would get part way around a curve then whoopsie! Might be ok on an outfit.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over this way, when many in the media say "tail spin" we know they have decided that the subject airplane was in either a spin or a spiral . . . or that at least was descending when it impacted terra firma. They also call Gulfstream 650s and Challengers "small airplanes." A "flat spin" would just create confusion. "How does an airplane descend if it is 'flat'?," they would ask. 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

Hi SR,

"Sandra" a close neighbour for some years, was cleaning up her house prior to selling, she told me she was in a "Flat Spin" . . .with so much to do !

Looks as if that term has entered the Non-flyers lexicon too ! ! !

Phil

Today in Melbourne I saw a parked bike with a car tyre on the rear wheel. Square profile and automotive tread, about 8 inches wide. I reckon he would get part way around a curve then whoopsie! Might be ok on an outfit.

Many Goldwing riders run them and swear by them. I have followed a few for miles and out on the open road they might be ok by in the twisties no thank you. The real issue though is not the cornering ability but the actual bead and the fitting to the rim. Most insurance companies will wipe you and I know of a couple who have come unstuck. One who actually asked his insurance company and was told so long as it is safe and the manufacturer approves. He had approval from the tyre manufacturer but not the bike manufacturer.

I have also seen a couple on the big Harley's and Triumph Rocket3's. Similar story. They all say they handle great but they are almost impossible to follow.

Google Riding the Dark Side.

Regarding misused aviation terms, here's a couple of others that amuse me: 'nose dive' & 'wing flaps'.

What other sort of dive is there - a 'tail dive', perhaps? And where else would one find flaps, besides attached to the wing?

Or perhaps it's just my crustiness showing in my dotage. . .

Bruce

Flap (as pilot getting into) seriously though there used to be drag devices on struts etc Puss Moth?? to aid descending so maybe the differentiation might have been needed .

You have a point I would think . Take spoilers... They are on the wing(s) but that's not usually mentioned . They can be Speed brakes, Flight or Ground spoilers or differential spoilers Nev

Regarding misused aviation terms, here's a couple of others that amuse me: 'nose dive' & 'wing flaps'.What other sort of dive is there - a 'tail dive', perhaps? And where else would one find flaps, besides attached to the wing?

Or perhaps it's just my crustiness showing in my dotage. . .Bruce

DOTAGE . . .I agree entirely Bruce, being rather dicrepit myself; my favourite website is www.Dot.age/confuddled.

And Nosedive, ? well it plainly came into being since the nose of an aircraft ( apart from a few notable examples like the Bristol Beaufighter ) is generally the bit which sticks out of the front more than any other bit, whereas in my case,. . . it would now have to be renamed . . .

"Belly Dive"

>

Top 10 Best

Position Make/Model

Reliability Rating

1 Mitsubishi Lancer 6.00

2 Honda Jazz 6.00

3 Vauxhall Agila 9.00

4 Toyota Yaris 13.00

5 Suzuki Alto 14.00

6 Chevrolet KALOS 15.00

7 Suzuki Liana 16.00

8 Hyundai Getz 16.00

9 Mazda MX-5 17.00

10 Citroen SAXO 18.00

The 10 Best & Worst Cars

Bottom 10 Worst

Position Make/Model

Reliability Rating

1 Audi RS6 1125.00

2 BMW M5 776.00

3 Nissan GT-R 658.00

4 Porsche 911 996 630.00

5 Bentley Continental GT 603.00

6 Mercedes-Benz CL 584.00

7 Mercedes-Benz V-Class 575.00

8 Citroen C6 512.00

9 Mercedes-Benz SL 502.00

10 Mercedes-Benz GL 489.00

Car Reliability News

States of Repair – Japanese and French brands top international league table of car reliability

Posted: 16/07/2014

Japanese and French brands produce Europe’s most reliable cars, according to new research by Warranty Direct’s Reliability Index.

As a major international football event comes to a close in South America, Warranty Direct has put together its own league table of which countries develop the most dependable vehicular exports. The vehicles analysed were an average of five years old with mileages of around 50,000.

Japanese brands dominated the top of the table with marques including Honda, Toyota, Mazda and Nissan producing some of the most reliable models on the market.

French carmakers – Citroën, Peugeot and Renault – come second in the reliability rankings with South Korea completing the top three – Hyundai and Kia amongst the country’s more dependable exports.

Japanese brands are most susceptible to axle and suspension problems, responsible for an average 25% of faults. French and South Korean vehicles however are more likely to develop electrical faults, at 29% and 22% of cases respectively.

MOST RELIABLE COUNTRIES

Japan-1

France-2

S Korea-3

USA-4

Sweden-5

Germany-6

Italy-7

UK-8

The Honda Jazz (or Fit) is what underlies the Viking engines. The Fit/Jazz engine is transformed into a Viking aircraft engine with some necessary modifications. It is good to know that this is a reliable model.

being rather dicrepit myself; my favourite website is www.Dot.age/confuddled.

Thanks for your commiserations, Phil. But I think you must have been a bit confuddled when you copied that link. It doesn't work. Or more likely, I'm confuddled. Or probably my ancient computer? Oh sod it, sun's over the yardarm, I'm off for a beer.

Bruce

• Informative 1

Thanks for your commiserations, Phil. But I think you must have been a bit confuddled when you copied that link. It doesn't work. Or more likely, I'm confuddled. Or probably my ancient computer? Oh sod it, sun's over the yardarm, I'm off for a beer.Bruce

If you stick "New lightweight engine from Nissan" in your search "engine" mate,. . there are a couple of entries about it. Tehy're going to stuff it in some race car thingy I believe. I wonder what RPM it needs to produce the 400 HP,. . .. that would be interesting.

Apologies for the crap link. . . .

Phil

473723249_Nissanengne2.jpg.d5bfa1744e5fa9aab28491140f13d99c.jpg

1703143643_Nissanengine.jpg.22f233964e97f0dc142cea06ddae07b8.jpg

Somewhere in Nissan, an engineer is bashing his head against the table saying "Bloody advertising department... I said FORTY hp you idiots..."

Er,. . . don't you actually mean " IRIOTS " Marty . . . .?

(Or is that too WAAAAAAAYCIST to be classified as humour ? ) ( I apologise genuinely and wholeheartedly from the heart of my bottom, should any Japanese Person now, or in the future, find my comment on this redoubtable blogsite, in any way offensive. Given under my hand the day and year first hereinbefore written.

ごめんなさい

( I also wonder if that is Indicated Horsepower, Calibrated Horsepower, Shafted Horsepower, True Horsepower, Environmental Horsepower, or Micro Horsepower. . . . . ? )

With a big blower you get any power if you can get the heat out. With an aeroplane engine you use it to work at height. The Liberator had basically 4 DC3 (1830) engines with turbochargers and operated at 32,000 feet. Nev

Er,. . . don't you actually mean " IRIOTS " Marty . . . .? (Or is that too WAAAAAAAYCIST to be classified as humour ? ) ( I apologise genuinely and wholeheartedly from the heart of my bottom, should any Japanese Person now, or in the future, find my comment on this redoubtable blogsite, in any way offensive. Given under my hand the day and year first hereinbefore written.

ごめんなさい

( I also wonder if that is Indicated Horsepower, Calibrated Horsepower, Shafted Horsepower, True Horsepower, Environmental Horsepower, or Micro Horsepower. . . . . ? )

They may not be offended, but they might think you're a plick...

• Haha 1

Er,. . . don't you actually mean " IRIOTS " Marty . . . .? (Or is that too WAAAAAAAYCIST to be classified as humour ? ) ( I apologise genuinely and wholeheartedly from the heart of my bottom, should any Japanese Person now, or in the future, find my comment on this redoubtable blogsite, in any way offensive. Given under my hand the day and year first hereinbefore written.

ごめんなさい

Shafted is probably the operative word here.

I asked for Flied Lice at Kowloon and no one batted an eyelid. Nev

That is what communication is all about. The buyer and the seller exactly agree as to what is wanted.

I have done what you did a number of times in Australian based Chinese Restaurants. It is all perfectly understandable to them.

If you are in another country, try you worst fake accent and you will be understood perfectly. In the USA put on a fake Yankee drawl and they will get it way better than an Aussie accent, and they will not know you are taking the p$ss.

• Haha 1

If you stay there long enough you will pick it up whether you want to or not, and when you come back "Home" everyone here thinks you are putting on dog. Nev

Yup after spending nearly 5 months in the mother country doing the Tornado Jet course. I came back with a british accent but it naturally went away after about a month or two.

• Like 1