Noise nuisance - what a g load of horse manure in most cases

DrZoos

Another poster posted a in a thread and mentioned "noise nuisance"

LOL there technically is no such thing unless its an airport where the airport was built, or the airport usage increased dramatically/unexpectedly after the area surrounding was developed...

It really grates me that idiots build near boat ramps and then complain about boats, build near airports and complain about aircraft or build near roads and complain about cars or trucks..

Whilst I think being considerate is definitely desirable and warranted where ever possible, at some point we need councils to harden up and say...sorry folks you knew that was the case when you built / purchased aka buyer beware...

If a new meat bomber operation or joy flight operation starts up and is flying 30 times a day sure, nuisance noise might be an issue...but lets get real and deflect some of this responsibility back on the morons buying their cheaper land because it is under flight paths...

I was amazed when I was at maitland recently and asked to avoid a certain area on take off with approximately 20 brand new homes right up against the airport... in this case they really ought to be told to sod off

• Agree 7

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Noise nuisance: Claytons bikies all decked out in black leathers giving their glossy Harleys full twist in residential areas.

Most of 'em wouldn't know a gudgeon pin from a hat pin. Ooo! Look at me! I'm dress up big and tough and make lots of noise because I'm phallically deficient.

OME

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Winner 1

Listen to a Queen Air with augmenter exhausts and it shreds you ears, even at 2,000 feet. A Rotax 582 winding its way down Pittwater at 200 feet in a trike on floats is like the Revenge of the Ninja Leaf-blowers. Alan (Bastard) Jones goes over my place quite frequently in his chartered Jet Ranger at 250 - 300 feet, shakes the windows and spooks the horses. When hazard reduction exercises are on, both fire-bombing helicopters and at least one Thrush Commander water-bomber take off from about 300 metres from my house and pass overhead with sound pressure that flattens your hat. When Elvis is grabbing water from a dam nearly 2K away, the furniture moves across the floors.

Every Sunday, a bikie club rides past my front gate with the typical Harley Thunder - which lasts about 10 minutes. Doesn't cause concern, but the wankers on MX-bikes riding up and down the fire trails all day at the back of my place most weekends reduce me to frothing exasperation with their constant wrapping of the throttle from WO to closed thirty times a minute.

By comparison, the often 5-10 times-a-day aircraft transits between the Mittagong strip and The Oaks on a typical decent weekend are less intrusive than one bogan doing a burn-out on the road at the front of the property.

But, as targets, we are low hanging fruit. Don't take it lightly, we will be squeezed out of access if we don't take our exposure seriously. This is pre-emptive action here: remove the cause for objection or lose access to decent airfields close to facilities.

• Agree 2

Just do what the Harley crew do and argue that its for safety...eg so morons walking across grass runways can hear us when we are coming in. and so golfers can hear us in emergency landings on golf courses, and so other aircraft can hear us...lol

It seems to work for those playing dressups no probs

Too right it's for safety.. I ride a NOISY Triumph. Before noise I was invisible. Not any more...It's so nice to be acknowledged ......And I thank the drivers that now can "see" me..

Back to the job on hand. Lets face it, people that buy a house in area with an Airfield are NOT going to move away again. Best get a "Fly Neighborly" plan going. Before the standoff starts...

• Agree 2

Gareth i ride a WR450 and agree a quick blat on the throttle and an otherwise blinkered driver straying into my lane soon knows I am there...it genuinely is a safety issue for bikes...

My point is it can be sold as a safety issue for aircraft as well....if we totally pander to the silent morons and dont develop a method to sell some noise to the masses we lose and simply get muzzled more and more each year...

I don't know what you guys with your "loud pipes save lives" are on.

I got knocked off some time back by the Coppers for having the radio up to loud on my Goldwing.

I think when he pulled me up and asked why the radio was so loud possibly I shouldn't have said, "you are going to have to speak up mate I am deaf".

No sense of humour some coppers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A few months ago I looked at a nice little 2 bedroom unit at Tweed Heads South simply out of curiosity, and could not believe the price when compare to Sydney prices. It backed onto the water with lovely water views, and my small boat could have been only 50mtrs away and it was going for a little over $200 grand. Someone pointed out that it was a bit noisy as its almost in line with the runway at Coolangatta. So what? The aircraft are up at least 1000ft by then and the price was right. I'd have known that beforehand if I decided to purchased it.

I don't know what you guys with your "loud pipes save lives" are on.I got knocked off some time back by the Coppers for having the radio up to loud on my Goldwing.

I think when he pulled me up and asked why the radio was so loud possibly I shouldn't have said, "you are going to have to speak up mate I am deaf".

Maybe they were too young for 2CH

• Haha 1

A few months ago I looked at a nice little 2 bedroom unit at Tweed Heads South simply out of curiosity, and could not believe the price when compare to Sydney prices. It backed onto the water with lovely water views, and my small boat could have been only 50mtrs away and it was going for a little over $200 grand. Someone pointed out that it was a bit noisy as its almost in line with the runway at Coolangatta. So what? The aircraft are up at least 1000ft by then and the price was right. I'd have known that beforehand if I decided to purchased it.

The silly thing is people have purchased these properties and will complain and the GC airport will be required to make the travelling public absorb huge costs and inneficiencies to resolve the issue at some point down the track...where as they just ought to say...sorry mate we allow cheap housing under flight paths for people who love planes and people who hate planes but where to stupid to realise...your category B

The silly thing is people have purchased these properties and will complain and the GC airport will be required to make the travelling public absorb huge costs and inneficiencies to resolve the issue at some point down the track...where as they just ought to say...sorry mate we allow cheap housing under flight paths for people who love planes and people who hate planes but where to stupid to realise...your category B

When I moved in there were no North South Runways and only a plane every half hour. Now I have all the west bound planes using my driveway as a waypoint as they climb out at low altitude The scout hall in Leichhardt is used as a final waymarker for low level inbound traffic. Wasn't like that 80 years ago when they built the original scout hall.

Certainly, people who have bought recently should take their own advice but bullying the others when gross intensification of volume and noise occurs is not fair because it is not their fault.

While it might seem quite novel, one alternative is to actually study the Planning Zone conditions for your City/Municipality.

Where people are building houses, if the zoning is "Residential" they are lawfully building them there.

If there is an Environmental Overlay for aircraft noise, and that would take into account climb out and both left and right circuits, the Council Zoning is likely to be Industrial, Public Use, or some other zoning where noise is not an issue, so you can't build houses there.

If an airfield has been in use for the requisite number of years, it has "Existing Use Rights", and these cannot be taken away by complaining people who built their houses under the flight paths. Despite this, as we've seen on this forum, airfield owners have been silly enough to engage with residents and freely give away their rights to the extent that the airfield becomes useless.

Similarly some Councils have taken notice of complaining residents and called for mediation meetings, or proposed new zoning "which will be more equitable. These effectively are illegal for an airfield which has existing use rights, but instead of simply saying "We have Existing Use Rights, so will not be participating and will not accept any decision to water down our rights", some owners have been silly enough to participate, and have signed off on impractical solutions which helps kill the airfield, or gone along with rezoning, not realising they have no existing rights once the rezoning occurs, and then must accept the decision of Council and will get no more sympathetic view from QCAT, NCAT, VCAT etc.

So it's simple enough:

If you have an existing airfield with existing rights - stay out of the discussions, hire a Planning Consultant and let him do his job.

If you are buying land to build an airfield, remember that these things can fly as well as taxy, and apply for an Environmental Overlay to cover the full circuit for noise production.

Having said all that, the motor vehicle driveby noise limits have been coming progressively down to the point where motor cycles, aircraft and Jetskis are starting to stand out as offensive, so expect the Federal Government to eventually move in with Design Rules.

• Informative 2
  • Winner 1

My old rugby club was subject to constant noise complaints by local residents (very nice and expensive area). The club was founded in 1875 and had played at the same ground since then, so similar to idiots complaining about noise after buying a home next to an airport.

Sadly it had to relocate during 2001 after the former director sold the land to a building company and took his shares out of the club. Amusingly, affordable housing was built with the council buying up a fair bit to stick the local dossers in 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

We had the absurd situation in Melbourne recently where the government released new land under the flight path at Melbourne Airport. Melbourne doesn't have the curfew that plagues Sydney and introducing one because of stupid government dealings will adversely affect the whole state.

• Agree 1

I don't know what you guys with your "loud pipes save lives" are on.I got knocked off some time back by the Coppers for having the radio up to loud on my Goldwing.

You ride a goldwing? Then we don't expect you to understand anything about bikes. Goldwinds are like the bike you get when you want it to handle like a Truck 082_scooter.gif.e6a62d295b0b59b8276038871473d864.gif

or perhaps when you want the only bike thats so uncool you need a radio blaring as you ride..022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

When guys in here talk about us wanting every gadget till our plane weighs 1.5 tons I always think about guys who buy bikes like goldwings and how it kind of defeats the purpose of having a nimble free riding moto.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 3

I gave you a funny DZ but only because you just proved your lack of understanding about real motorcycles. But life in general is good when we canlaugh at ourselves first.

I understand about you other bike riders need to stop every hour or two for lattes etc whilst we wing rider just continue on making miles.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Geoff - chacun à son goût. I always rode for the buzz, not the destination. Have no problem with riding with the kitchen sink and the Home Theatre aboard, but it's not my personal thing. That sometimes meant that I and my mates ended up changing our underwear and telling each other huge lies at some country pub out the back of buggery over a serious glass or two... but being competitive with the conditions is a damn good form of cardiac fitness.

It's why Ducatis aren't Leadwings, Viffers aren't Road Glides, R1s aren't V-Maxs. If it doesn't change dynamics under throttle/braking input, it's dead in the water as far as I'm concerned. But, I'm not so hidebound as to believe my view is correct - it's just mine. Ride happily.

• Agree 1

Till I went off road, the second time, I didn't learn much about riding, though I started riding essentially road bikes along bush tracks and alongside railway lines from the age of 10, mostly on a 101 Indian 750 till I got my licence at 16.. Did about 10 years of fairly serious off road riding with no on road stuff. I didn't miss it, and learned to ride a bike out of shape, (to a point. ALL my man children (3) are good riders and still ride competitively.)

Riding in the City is dangerous. Riding on the highway is boring and you get buffeted and hit by rocks, and ride in some atrocious weather at times..There are some great rides. The Thunderbolt way, Most of the Snowy and Victorian Highlands. Most of Tasmania, but I'm not interested in just wearing out the centre of an expensive rear tyre, or meeting Skippy at speed. and I like to ride a bike that will allow me to stay on a road even if it a hundred Kms or more of dirt. Most of them are too tall in the saddle for me. I've ridden a few outfits (sidecars) trials, grass track and on road and can tolerate (or even like) them. You need to think a fair way ahead with a "chair". With well over 80 bikes in my past I would have to qualify as a bike NUT, and I've always done all the work on them myself, and do work for others. Mixture of Brit US and Jap owned and work on anything, if there's some point to doing it. The perfect motorcycle hasn't been made yet so I don't get too worked up about what someone else rides.. You could get around Australia on a Honda postie bike. There's a few do it from time to time. Nev

The Ducati riders tend to get upset though when a Goldwing undertakes them on a corner going up Mt Glorious.

Apparently according to my mate it isn't the fact that I corner inside him. Nor is it the fact that apparently my taste in music upsets his concentration. It is that the sparks coming from my centre stand go down the back of his race suit and singe the hairs on his back.

But seriously I love riding and most bikes are enjoyable when ridden to there potential. It is just with my knees I can no longer crouch over the crouch rockets so I sit in my armchair and tease them into thinking that they can keep up.

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

Nev the WR450 with YZ cams is pretty damn close to perfect bike...that thing will sit on 130 plus easy , turns on a 20c coin, handles like a dream..and if you put super motard tyres on them they become insane...you can go round corners on your front wheel... you can put in a shorter suspension linkage and spring for short asses...or do what i do park bsied rocks, bumps etc, or put left foot on and throw right leg over as you start to move ...works a treat....I have this years model and its a seriously nice bike and so versatile...I could easily sit on the freeway, go racing moto cross, tour or cruise to the local pie shop and it does it all incredibly well.

I have owned so many bikes I am beginning to lose count and they all suck at certain things..but by far my favouites are the RGV250 for tight hilly roads like the Oxley Highway, blue mountains etc,,,the 2015 WR450 for offroad and most things, the 2013 KX450 for motocross and my 2010 R1 for fast touring on windy but open roads that ya wont get booked on... WR250 for tight bush tracks and enduro racing...

Worst bikes ever 2 x KTM 525 2012 2010 lots of torque but too slow to rev and twitch front ends...

Coolest bike to ride that was the shittiest in most aspects Harley I hired in Hawaii

Dream bike a sick looking custom chopper (not harley) with 350+ back tyre , lots of rake and a sick custom paint job.... (maybe when i sell the plane)