Noise nuisance - what a g load of horse manure in most cases

DrZoos

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would've done all of them over the years . Clunes Daylesford Hepburn Springs, Avoca. All of the Adelaide hills Peterborough Broken hill etc. Best to do it with Old or classic Clubs where they have a week long rally at a central point . Back roads and go to places only the locals know about, and if you just ride through, you miss. Nev

Nev. I had a couple of good bikes: 1937 Empire Star BSA 250cc, and a great big Norvin with the Black Prince motor.

spacesailor

ps just back from looking at Philip Island & watching the bikes races.

• Like 1

Bike wise- noise is our best friend.

I find a rumbling V twin and a small blue led in the headlight makes the traffic split, like I am moses and the red sea.

My nieghbours have complained of the 3am rides though.

They must be upset as I changed from 2am.

Can't please anybody these days.

All too modern for me. I bought a new Kawasaki Mach III in 1970 & did it go. 0 to 100 in 4 seconds was unheard of then & this was only a 500cc 2 stroke. It did have a rubber frame so handling was something to master. My mate had a Norton Commando 750 at the time & I could still beat him on winding mountain roads. Mind you when we swapped bikes the Commando felt like heaven to ride & I could easily clean him up when he was on my bike. The smoke & induction noise from the old Kwacker H1 was legendary. Too bad so many who bought them & failed to master them came to an ignominious end. The 70s were IMHO the real good old days of biking.

BTW we have just gained control of our Aerodrome (South Grafton) from the Council. Being right on the edge of town we are going to have to maintain a good relationship with the residents on the hill. Most are good but there is the odd serial complainer. One pain in the proverbial was brought on side when a few of us called in after flying with a few beers & some quality wine. We've been on best terms ever since. Communication & alcohol, the best medicine.

• Agree 1

We are in the middle of some excellent rides around Mount Alexander, Golden Point, Castlemaine, Daylesford and our clubhouse at Llanelly. I ride the Beamer or an ariel and the wife traded her bike for a highway scooter because she has a robotic hip.We are off on a run Sunday morning.

Bike wise- noise is our best friend.I find a rumbling V twin and a small blue led in the headlight makes the traffic split, like I am moses and the red sea.

My nieghbours have complained of the 3am rides though.

They must be upset as I changed from 2am.

Can't please anybody these days.

Not in QLD, as soon as the ignorant pricks see you here, it's like they will go out of their way to stop you getting anywhere.

I keep low vis and my GSXR1100 is quiet and seem to have less trouble than when I had hi-vis and loud.

For what it's worth I ride a very noisy quick (relatively) Thruxton. The handling is quirky at best. But it's fun. But for shopping and everything else. I have just finished a custom K75..... with K1100 'box ,diff , s/arm and forks, cut down frame, GS1150 spoke wheels shod with radials. It's the best thing I have ever owned. Smooth as silk , comfortable, reasonably fast and I scrub the edges of the tyres with ease. Only trouble it's as noisy as a sewing machine! Oh well you can't have everything

• Like 1

Now that is a seriously interesting machine! I once tried to create a 'Baja' special: Cr250 frame, forks and swing-arm with modded XL350 engine stuffed in - as per the machine de rigeur for the day - but domestics got in the way of finishing it. Was a fun exercise, though.

Thruxton - now there's a real bike. Fishtail exhausts?

Years ago, I was rebuilding a 15-metre trawler down at Paynesville. One morning there was an incoming noise of approximately the same dimensions as a volcanic incident. Two Vincent Rapides and one Black Shadow rolled into town, and the noise can only be called 'massaging' - not intrusive, as a Harley with open pipes on the throttle, just a pulsation that moved everything. Like a biggish radial.

Hurried downtown to see what it was; managed to NOT slip on my own drool. Two years later, I found that one of the owners was a fellow boat-owner with an 1890's Lakes motor yacht, we had some good red between us. His car was a Jensen FF. One of the nicest true gentlemen I have ever encountered.

Geoff: cruel, unkind, uneducated people like me call them Leadwings. I KNOW you know this.

I have to admit, the Goldwing engine is a seriously impressive bit of kit. I did some fast clicks on a CBX1000 - the six - and that engine was vastly impressive - no sensation of engine at all, just a very, very tightly stretched and extremely strong rubber band attached to the horizon, controlled by the throttle. The only other engine I have ever experienced that was as smooth yet resolutely powerful, was the v12 diesel in a T34 tank - I kid you not - and that includes the XJ12 I used to own once.

However, bikes to me have always been something you swung a leg over, not something you signed a lease on and got the keys to after paying the bond. To me, Goldwings are the Airstream Caravans of the bike world: technically fascinating, superbly comfortable, all the comforts of home around you, and quite capable of going from A to B in quite jig time. But you don't - I believe - get the same buzz as trail-braking into an off-camber entry onto a slightly wet wooden bridge and managing to come out the other end alive, where you don't Thank God but silently accept that you owe the Devil one for not calling in your cards. That's Sports Bike territory.

• Winner 1

Look lets not pick on Geoff, he rides a B Double, thats enough handicap for 3 lifetimes...

But if you seriously want sex on wheels get yourself a modern fuel injected 450 F dirt bike , harden up the suspension and shove some road wheels and tyres on the thing.....

Seriously nothing on two wheels in this world is as much fun as pulling a wheelie out of every corner and an endo into and thru every breaking corner....

If your into serious bike riding you will NEVER find anything that compares to a 450 with a motard setup on a windy mountain area...

Im a dirt bike fanatic, but love all bikes and these things will seriously BLOW your socks off

I gave you a funny DZ but only because you just proved your lack of understanding about real motorcycles. But life in general is good when we canlaugh at ourselves first.I understand about you other bike riders need to stop every hour or two for lattes etc whilst we wing rider just continue on making miles.

Yeah DZ, stop picking on his choice of bike. If he wants to ride 300kg plus of bad taste which doubles as a mobile chicane that's Geoffs choice !

• Like 3

Did you ever ssee the advertisements for the American Way of Life. One of them had a bloke on a Goldwing in front of a rugged landscape. made me laugh that Honda was more american than Harley. If you really want to be pissed off by noise, just live near a helicopter.

Having suffered the damn noise of bloody terrorist training by the RAAF and assorted armed honchos, over my house at 2-3am for two nights a week for 6 bloody months.

I know about noise, how they thought hovering around Kings Langley at 200ft in a Blackhawk was a good idea , I do not know.

They are damn loud and very annoying. How that helped do anything but just annoy the shit outta me and neighbours- I do not know. Oh and the bloody bright search light through the window everytime- really gets beyond pissed off.

What they were training for I do not know, but must have been a waste of time and money.

But hey as long as it keeps us peeps scared and alarmed- It is all OK.

Enough grumbles- back to bikes.

And you blokes stop picking on poor old Geoff. Yes he rides a two wheeled truck, yes it is heavy, yes it sounds like a sewing machine.

But.......................It makes the rest of us riders Look good.

For what it's worth I ride a very noisy quick (relatively) Thruxton. The handling is quirky at best. But it's fun. But for shopping and everything else. I have just finished a custom K75..... with K1100 'box ,diff , s/arm and forks, cut down frame, GS1150 spoke wheels shod with radials. It's the best thing I have ever owned. Smooth as silk , comfortable, reasonably fast and I scrub the edges of the tyres with ease. Only trouble it's as noisy as a sewing machine! Oh well you can't have everything

Now, that sounds like a good combo.

For more sound add some hot cams- easy job, some 3-1-3 pipes (real short) and polish the tank (its alloy).

The plan for the K100rs in the man cave is

1200rs motor

GSXR 1000 front end

rear paralever suspension from a R1150 s

Wide wheels and radials

Cut down frame and alloy guards and ducktail seat unit (I will make the alloy bits)

Some tiny instruments and a small headlight.

A loud home made under frame exhaust.

Will go much harder and be a lot lighter- up by 50hp and down by 30-40 kg.

• Winner 1