Oil filter cutter

tillmanr

I am interested in checking the innards of my oil filter. Does anyone on the forum know where to buy an oil filter cutter in Aus. They can be purchased online from the USA but that seems quite expensive.

You might have opened at can of worms there.

A tool capable of doing this job well would be not cheap. You try to not disturb the filter element when removing the outer casing. If you cut very close to the rolled edge you might get away with it, but it's a bit thicker than most cans. Nev

I have been chasing the the correct item when in the USA but they appear to be a mythical tool. I have been to maybe a dozen auto supplies and once we overcome my accent they are then unable to find one in their catalogues. I see them referred to by high performance auto engine types but no easy retail source in USA or Aus.

I am interested in checking the innards of my oil filter. Does anyone on the forum know where to buy an oil filter cutter in Aus. They can be purchased online from the USA but that seems quite expensive.

Send Oscar a PM. I believe he made one for his Jab.

I use an old fashioned wooden handled can opener. Years ago there was a comparison done in Kitplanes, of several oil filter cutters and the general opinion was tyhat they are not very good, but they are expensive. I have to start my can opener with a sharp, old wood chisel, but once the case has a slit in it the can opener works well.

• Like 1

I have only ever used a screwwdriver and hammer followed by a pair of tinsnips, or a hacksaw.

Hacksaw, yes puts shards everywhere, but is not a problem when you know what you're looking for and there is little chance of confusing the fresh shards with iron and aluminium gunk and bearing material.

You get what you pay for. If it's not a good quality you get cutting swarf inside the filter as you cut and you are left wondering if the bits of metal are from the engine or the tool.

It's all very well to say " if you know what you're looking for" but not everyone does and when I find stuff I never feel happy saying "I think I'll ignore because I think I know it's probably not significant".

I tried a cheaper type and then bit the bullet and paid the money and got one from aircraft spruce in the US. Jeez I paid near on a hundred thousand for my aircraft am I gonna buy cheap sH$t to service it with??

I've had it for years it works brilliantly and I cut & examine every filter I change every 25 hours. Having a good cutter means I don't hesitate when it comes to opening every filter.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

you are left wondering if the bits of metal are from the engine or the tool.

No you're not, the differences are night and day, the new shiny chunks of tin swarf are blatant, look nothing like aluminium, iron sludge or bearing material, and generally don't get down between the paper layers (other than where you cut) anyway.

To be honest if you can't tell the difference then it's not an area you should be dealing with, send it off to an expert and leave it to the spectrograph.

• Helpful 1

Use a decent pair of snips and just cut under the rolled edge. Be careful enough not to stab yourself with the jagged bit. Never had any contamination dramas using that method on B206 txmn oil filters ( normal cartridge filter). Actually started using snips because they made a cleaner cut than the purpose built filter cutter..

• Like 1

An exhaust tubing cutter will do the job, clean (no chips). Looks like a chain with a dozen little wheels on it. $30 odd on E-bay