Flight Design goes into receivership !

Guest asmol

Really interesting reading the posts on that forum - appears Flight Design USA are blameless, so just who did FD Germany allowed to run up a seven-figure debt? On the other hand that could just be a smokescreen. You have to feel sorry for the Europeans in particular who paid over all their money (107,000 Euros no less) for an aircraft some 3 years ago and are still waiting!

• Agree 1

Common sense says don't hand over your hard earned cash until you have the product in front of you.

When buying an airplane, that's easier said than done. In my experience, the manufacturer requires a deposit of about a third, to start production. Then another third is payable somewhere near the middle of production. The final third is payable upon shipment.

I don't know what happened to the buyer that paid all of the money and three years later still has no airplane. If I were in his shoes, I'd be pretty p***ed too and be willing to sue someone.

• Agree 3

I'm thinking it could be the Chinese or Taiwanese companies that have licencing agreements and built plants last year that have not paid.

For those that have not looked at the C4 aircraft under development/certification please do so.

Very Very impressive 4 seater. 600kg empty, 1200MTOW.

http://flightdesign.com/wordpress/?page_id=36

• Caution 1

Wow, just read the whole CT forum mentioned earlier;

http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/3621-flight-design-insolvency/

It's 9 pages worth, took me an hour or so (with interruptions) to read, with some answers starting to appear about page 7.

It does tend to show that the old adage of how to make a small fortune in aviation, holds true, only this time it could appear to be a whole heap of little things catching up with them.

Currently, if you wanted a CT, you would probably have to order it through the USA, as they are finish building them from Taiwanese supplied hulls.

As an aside, there was a very good comparison done between the CTLS, and the Pipistrel Virus SW (my choice), but only to show that there is always small differences that can't always be compared.

The CT forum is like any other including it's lurking protagonists, just like our Favorite Thing....

Hopefully the German administration team can smooth the financial problems at Flight Design (FD) Germany, and keep the type available.

• Informative 1

If you read the forum you will see its a company in Taiwan but they are actually doing most of the building in China, I dont understand this.

If you read the forum you will see its a company in Taiwan but they are actually doing most of the building in China, I dont understand this.

Yeah, it's a bit blurry to me too. I thought the one in Taiwan was gearing up for the C4 production and the CTLS plant was in China.

Then there's the Ukrainian plant and Germany itself......

Something seriously wrong with customers waiting years.

Obviously lost focus on where their income was actually coming from and perhaps too much focus on the development of the C4.

I know someone who had dealings with FD Germany about his aircraft and his impression was that they just "didn't care".

If I was in the business of building aircraft, I would build it in China. Its the quickest way to gain access to what will one day be the world's largest market for LSAs. Other benefits would be the massive amount of manufacturing experience the Chinese have now.

If I was in the business of building aircraft, I would build it in China. Its the quickest way to gain access to what will one day be the world's largest market for LSAs. Other benefits would be the massive amount of manufacturing experience the Chinese have now.

And maybe you can move over there to oversee the process. 065_evil_grin.gif.2006e9f40863555e5894f7036698fb5d.gif

As Phil would say I'll get me 'at shall I.

When buying an airplane, that's easier said than done. In my experience, the manufacturer requires a deposit of about a third, to start production. Then another third is payable somewhere near the middle of production. The final third is payable upon shipment.

Sure but the business should be using escrow or similar to hold the money and ledge against it keeping the client's money safe. If you hand your money straight over to the company you're a trusting idiot and if the company needs that money (your cash) to build, well they shouldn't be in business.

bahahaha!

No, just no. Unless you are willing to be here and run the business yourself with a structure of only Western management and not a Chinaman in sight, then forget it.

Taiwan is a generally safe country to produce in. I don't see the point of Taiwan company doing their manufacturing in China, the whole point has been missed and just another set of hands, or 36, to be paid.

I see where you are going with this Geoff, but they have the internet as well...013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

Damn

Hey, we are already a bit fraught with China re their Islands developments - do you want to completely turn them to enemies?

and Bugga LOL