My extraordinary plane build ...

Bex - not to be pedantic, mate, but aren't extrusions produced from a die, not a mould?

It's the same word in Chinese and I've used it so many times in the past for fiberglass work that I'm used to translating it back from Chinese in my head.

Roughly said as "more jwee".

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting phone screenshots... Reminds me of my time in Chongqing...

It's also quite common when teaching to have the head teacher tell you something, the class manager tell the class something else and finally a third thing happens...

One time I had a class from the School of Foreign Languages of CQJTU, (I worked for the International College of Chongqing Jiaotong University, different department) having been loaned over to cover a short English refresher class for some engineers whose company had just won a contract to do work in Singapore. The ICCJU manager I reported to told me that the last class time I would normally have them for would be an exam so no need to show up the final period. So on the second to last class I told them farewell and good luck with their exam. They were puzzled, Their class coordinator at the SoFL had told them there was no exam, the last class was just cancelled. I texted the ICCJU manager, the class rep texted the SoFL class co-ordinator, and someone must have organized something, we both got told to show up at the classroom that last class.

Next day, showed up, everyone waiting around joking and playing up while we wonder what happens, and the SoFL co-ordinator shows up and hustles us upstairs to a meeting room set up with a big table... Speech time. Deans talking, head of departments talking, class rep talking, me talking, lots of speechifying at short notice. Photos, diplomas/certificates handed out, photos taken, and all done.

That sort of organisation skills was pretty standard for China.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

That sort of organisation skills was pretty standard for China.

Welcome to my life. Some of my Chinese friends get a bit offended when I tell them to sod off. My Chinese is ordinary, I can't read any at all yet iI get around and buy stuff and get things made all by myself before they have booked and finished their typical meeting required to get something done.

The conclusion of that meeting is usually to set another meeting after further independent discussions have been made in the interim. That meeting will ensure that without doubt, another meeting is set.

In the meantime I usually have finished that next step which you would think would make the meeting moot, it however turns into a "was that really the right result?" type meeting.

If those meetings involve lunch or dinner, then the next day the "I was drunk" clause comes into effect nullifying any decisions which means another meeting is required to replace that one.

Of course we are presuming here that all key Parties attended the meeting, often they don't, guess where they might be otherwise? Yup, in a meeting.

People think I'm joking, I'm not, it's surreal and you have to be a solid Monty Python fan to mentally survive here because it's just like living through a Python sketch daily.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 4
  • Informative 1

China is not unique in this Bex. Rather similar here in Brazil. If there is a simple solution to a problem, a multitude of meetings need to be held to to complicate the aforementioned simple solution with accompanied regulation changes and a mountain of paperwork. It's amazing that anything actually happens sometimes, but in the end, it seems to work.

I teach English to engineers and directors in Brazil's largest car manufacturing plant. The plant is the size of a small city and appears to be utter chaos but somehow it all comes together and in peak times, a car every comes off the production line every 20 seconds. Not just one model, but three or four.

Amazing to witness!

If there is a simple solution to a problem, a multitude of meetings need to be held to to complicate the aforementioned simple solution with accompanied regulation changes and a mountain of paperwork. It's amazing that anything actually happens sometimes,

Exactly, you have no idea just how much I relate to the sentiment in that post except for one major difference ...

but in the end, it seems to work.

.... it rarely works out in the end here. There is always something.

On that, and relative to this thread, this project is 100% Western management.

In other words... "Do it this way, at this time, in this place."

Without change, you do not know better, your 30 years making cast iron hinges in a State Factory does not make you an expert and no, it does not take 3 people to have a meeting and operate a drill press to drill 2 x 8mm holes, and no, one 6mm hole and one 10mm hole is not the same as 2 x 8mm holes .... and you will leave your mobile phone with the receptionist as you enter the workplace.

and you will leave your mobile phone with the receptionist as you enter the workplace.

Better to simply install cellular jammers every few meters throughout... cheap on aliexpress and dealextreme, so should be around on taobao.

• Informative 1

How DID they manage to build that big fence???

It wasn't a Peoples Republic then... No People to sit around talking...

You didn't talk, Peasants worked, or died, sometimes both if the boss was in a bad mood.

The Enunches might have talked, but they scurried to deliver orders if a noble said something, for fear of losing something more than just balls.

Just like Japan at the time, only difference was rather than two swords and being born Samurai, you were born Mandarin and had red coral buttons.

Japan didn't have anything like the efficient public service bureaucracy and merit based examinations to pass the orders from the nobles to the peasants tho. They just used low-rank Samurai to pass orders and oversee projects, any big FUBAR, or small one for that matter, and they got to open their bellies with their short sword to apologise. Examination by results I guess... the good overseers survived, the bad ones died.

You should post more threads Bex. Over 5000 views and 109 replies in less than three weeks keeps the forum going.

Well lets hope people are viewing due to being genuinely interested in seeing more options being made available to their sport. Nice thought and I would like to believe that's the reason.

More choice is not only good because obviously you have more to choose from, it also puts more bargaining power in the hand of the consumer.

I'm going nuts waiting for my stuff to be ready, better be this week or I might blow a fuse! insane.gif.b56be3c4390e84bce5e5e6bf4f69a458.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well lets hope people are viewing due to being genuinely interested in seeing more options being made available to their sport. Nice thought and I would like to believe that's the reason.More choice is not only good because obviously you have more to choose from, it also puts more bargaining power in the hand of the consumer.

I'm going nuts waiting for my stuff to be ready, better be this week or I might blow a fuse! insane.gif.b56be3c4390e84bce5e5e6bf4f69a458.gif

Good on you Bex, like seeing you having a go and like your updates, good luck with all your projects. Looking forward to some success stories !

• Agree 2
  • Helpful 1

[ATTACH=full]42600[/ATTACH] 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Despite Tony Abbott's sudden removal as Australia's Prime Minister, it seems that you want to perpetuate his memory by making a poor cartoon of Tony your avatar? Is he your hero?

It's also quite common when teaching to have the head teacher tell you something, the class manager tell the class something else and finally a third thing happens...

This would be the definition of 'Chinese whispers' wouldn't it?

• Like 1

Well just got the news that my extrusions are ready, I need to get to the factory in the morning to appraise them before wrapping and delivery.

By the end of the week should be in my factory, got a young Chinese bloke hired and a New Zealand bloke arrives this week. Hmm better get a translator ... so I can understand the Kiwi.

I also purchased a number engines to evaluate for the purpose, or not (that's why it's called evaluation). I need engines in the interim until I can get back into my own engine project.

• Like 4

Wednesday organised Thursday pickup, driver rang late Thursday to tell me factory recommend all deliveries are better to be picked up early morning so could he go Friday (today) morning.

Sure, driver gets there at 10am and long line of trucks waiting so goes back home without telling me or the factory who had moved my order to front of load bay.

So he promised he will get there at 7am tomorrow to be at front of line.

Very indifferent attitudes to things here.

• Like 1