My extraordinary plane build ...

After all my supportive posts you go and say that you are interested in nose diggers:no no no:

Of course it's my intention to only make taildraggers and call those who fly nose diggers "Wussy Girls". I'm also adding oil leaks to the mis-firing radial to cover your goggles (open cockpit, duh!) to get that romantic nostalgic feeling going ... can I be part of the "Cool" club now?

In other news just in, my extrusions will be done "in less than 15 days", darn it, I was under the impression of 7 to 10 days. 052_no_way.gif.ab8ffebe253e71283aa356aade003836.gif .... Still, a lot better than getting them from the East Coast with shipping delays and what to do if material spec is wrong (imagine I am in Alice and had to purchase from Sydney).

• Like 1

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bex, I wish it was me instead of the wife going to China in a fortnight so I could meet up and see your workshop. All the best with it. Whether or not you get a good plane together in 6 months, at least you're having a damn good crack at it. Jeez, with a fraction of your enthusiasm (or an even smaller amount of Tim's) I'd be flying by now.

• Like 1

You may joke, but I HAVE seen design specs and photos in a draft document he showed me on his last visit. .

Damn, I forgot to kill you.

Not keeping it close to my chest so much as when I draw up something and go to get it made or make it myself as I would in Oz, I find it becomes impossible, so would prefer to wait til I have something substantial before I mention it. You have seen some of my stuff but I assure you a lot of it has changed since due to that exact reason, but now all the main structure components are locked in and under, or on their way, I don't mind mentioning it.

If run right I think 6months would be reasonable time with a team of at least 4, that should give you time to build a plane,

Clever man. 3.5 actually; 3 and a Gopher - or maybe 7 x 12 year olds, you know, it's China.

Bex, I wish it was me instead of the wife going to China in a fortnight so I could meet up and see your workshop. Whether or not you get a good plane together in 6 months, at least you're having a damn good crack at it.

I have said repeatedly, anyone can come on over anytime and drop in for a bowl of rice.

I would refer you to the OP where I mention the main purpose is to develop a build system, not a plane per say - by right though, the system will dramatically cut build time for the first 90% so I might just get a result with in the time frame, but it's the second 90% that gets you.

So don't forget, system first, plane second.

Of course it's my intention to only make taildraggers and call those who fly nose diggers "Wussy Girls". I'm also adding oil leaks to the mis-firing radial to cover your goggles (open cockpit, duh!) to get that romantic nostalgic feeling going ... can I be part of the "Cool" club now?In other news just in, my extrusions will be done "in less than 15 days", darn it, I was under the impression of 7 to 10 days. 052_no_way.gif.ab8ffebe253e71283aa356aade003836.gif .... Still, a lot better than getting them from the East Coast with shipping delays and what to do if material spec is wrong (imagine I am in Alice and had to purchase from Sydney).

Remember the castor oil!

Hi Bex: I wholeheartedly agree with Litespeed who wrote:

Forget the naysayers Bex.Good on you for having a go and I look forward to your progress.

Remember my tagline- It is hard to soar like a eagle, when you are surrounded by turkeys.

I hope that all goes well for you in the weeks/months ahead. There have always been naysayers (Thomas Edison was told that he was wasting his time in finding the right material for a long-lasting electric light bulb but that did not deter him) so take courage and focus on the task at hand.

• Like 2

So as mentioned, I got my sample extrusion so as I can check the extrusion mold. I picked up some scraps today after cutting and mucking around with it more and noted that the material was very soft and could bend it between my fingers, anyone who knows 6061 knows also you cant do that (like the difference between mild sheet steel and spring steel).

I wasn't concerned at all, logically near the end of a normal extrusion run, the techs would have thrown my molds in and run through whatever they had left in the press to create my sample, they are not going to melt down 6061 ingots to form a slug, heat the slug just for a 500mm sample. It is just to check the mold dimensions after all.

But I need to be careful, so rang the sales girl and mentioned this to which she replied "oh it's 6061, we send the samples out to your full spec". Now I know it wasn't so that had me concerned, so straight into the car with a pair of tin snips, straight to the factory to check my other 2/3rds of the order with the girl to find all is good, most certainly 6061. But my heart was beating when I snipped that sample with "what will I do" thoughts running through my mind! Pieces of the extrusions will be sent to Oz for material confirmation testing as well.

So anyway, was nice to see my extrusions sitting there, even if it is the minimum 500kgs (better than 5 tonnes for most factories!), not much I can do til the next lot is finished (another 500kgs!) in "less than 15 days", hope it's closer to a week so I can get into it.

1666754226_extrusions1box.jpg.c9b93c2d30f3f5cb1e73198f67b34d30.jpg

911716149_extrusions2Langle.jpg.b97d75872685d05908a52cedea00c581.jpg

• Like 4

Just tell all the boohoo idiots pi&s off....they dont get to play with too many toys or actually lay there at night while in bed thinking about what your doing. There are not too many negative people on here thank god. Just do it and post plenty of pics and stuff the rest of them

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Winner 1

Just hanging around waiting for my extrusions to be done so I made these wall hangers to store the extrusions off the ground. Will chuck a few dyna bolts in this afternoon.

I did get a bit unlucky with aluminium spot market prices, 1 day delay paying cost me a 40% hike - still relatively cheap though so not a deal breaker. Apparently Alcoa is saying there's no way they can keep up with supply in 2016 so expect the prices will be high throughout the year.

1163424624_wallhangers.jpg.046dc59f6032b3d84e5eeb51ea424b12.jpg

• Like 1

Well sorry to say haven't got much to show except more boring pictures of the factory with it's new lights.

New windows get fitted tomorrow and I'll get onto a dividing wall for the build area so I can throw in an airconditioner for the very humid Summer days we have here.

Of course I would like to start building but until I get the main extrusions I can't, news today is early next week - to be honest I was expecting them 2 weeks ago immediately after I approved the mold based on the sample. I did a bit more tool shopping today but nothing special worth mentioning.

So a few more days yet til it all begins ....

• Like 1

I would like to start building but until I get the main extrusions I can't, news today is early next week - to be honest I was expecting them 2 weeks ago immediately after I approved the mold based on the sample.

I share your pain Bex. It is SO frustrating when someone promises you something and then fails to meet their commitment. It happens a lot here to so don't feel left out.

• Agree 2

I share your pain Bex. It is SO frustrating when someone promises you something and then fails to meet their commitment. It happens a lot here to so don't feel left out.

Been dealing with it for 10 years here, it's a lot worse than Oz, them getting drunk at lunchtime is one of the biggest delays equaled only by the bizarre amount of meetings they have.

Notice the "Monday or Friday" quip, getting detailed info here is like pulling teeth.

sukey.jpg.637e5562d30fdf6bce3e2063cdbc5df4.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

Well sorry to say haven't got much to show except more boring pictures of the factory with it's new lights.New windows get fitted tomorrow and I'll get onto a dividing wall for the build area so I can throw in an airconditioner for the very humid Summer days we have here.

Of course I would like to start building but until I get the main extrusions I can't, news today is early next week - to be honest I was expecting them 2 weeks ago immediately after I approved the mold based on the sample. I did a bit more tool shopping today but nothing special worth mentioning.

So a few more days yet til it all begins ....

Bex - not to be pedantic, mate, but aren't extrusions produced from a die, not a mould? Are you SURE your supplier has the cow by the correct teat??? ( Assuming that they aren't going to supply noodles, that is!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

• Haha 1