Jabiru down at Manilla NSW

Guest SrPilot
I am not a betting man but I bet it's repairable. I've seen a lot worse that flew again. Nev

"Again", Nev? I've seen worse licensed for flight the very first time (i.e., before any damage). They should never have been licensed for flight yet they flew (or on a couple of occasions, tried to fly). One that I remember particularly was an all-metal unique design that looked like the metal had been cut from sheets using a chainsaw. th?id=OIP.M8ce2b67e3154de5497b1c56c7e9052e2o0&pid=15.1&rs=1&c=1&qlt=95&w=159&h=106#inline

I saw a Volksplane taxi out once for its maiden flight. It turned at a 90 degree intersection and its wooden landing gear assembly folded. It did a belly flop on the pavement and the wooden prop shattered. It too had been signed off for flight. (A group of us picked it up and carried it into the hangar when the pilot said he was going to rethink the landing gear design.) 063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Again", Nev? I've seen worse licensed for flight the very first time (i.e., before any damage). They should never have been licensed for flight yet they flew (or on a couple of occasions, tried to fly). One that I remember particularly was an all-metal unique design that looked like the metal had been cut from sheets using a chainsaw. th?id=OIP.M8ce2b67e3154de5497b1c56c7e9052e2o0&pid=15.1&rs=1&c=1&qlt=95&w=159&h=106#inlineI saw a Volksplane taxi out once for its maiden flight. It turned at a 90 degree intersection and its wooden landing gear assembly folded. It did a belly flop on the pavement and the wooden prop shattered. It too had been signed off for flight. (A group of us picked it up and carried it into the hangar when the pilot said he was going to rethink the landing gear design.) 063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif

I think they call that "natural selection", they're trying to outlaw it here, but people aren't complying.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

Guest SrPilot
Aircraft carriers pilots have been doing this for yonks.

But not with the nose gear. 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

Oh, wait, what is "yonks"?

Sr, years ago I worked for a significant Australian organisation that had representatives in both Washington and London. Both were mates of mine; the Washington appointee returned for a de-briefing, and over a beer, I asked him what he'd learned about US culture.

He was a smoker - like me. He explained that using the Aussie term for asking if one could beg the gift of a cigarette in Aussie: 'can I bum a fag off you?" was absolutely NOT a good approach in the USA.

• Haha 1

Guest SrPilot
Sr, years ago I worked for a significant Australian organisation that had representatives in both Washington and London. Both were mates of mine; the Washington appointee returned for a de-briefing, and over a beer, I asked him what he'd learned about US culture. He was a smoker - like me. He explained that using the Aussie term for asking if one could beg the gift of a cigarette in Aussie: 'can I bum a fag off you?" was absolutely NOT a good approach in the USA.

True. But they'll bum a cigarette. That's why when I was in the USAF (and a smoker way back then) I carried an open pack on Spanish cigarettes in my pocket. When someone "bummed a smoke," I would give them one of those while keeping my U.S. cigarettes concealed in another pocket. After getting one or two of those things, they'd bum off someone else. They tasted like - and left the flavor in one's mouth - of what I always imagined the way smoking a cow plop would taste. 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

Guest SrPilot
Sr. you might need Frank Povah's help with Strine. He lives in Minnesota, but writes this column: Aussie lingo: Blockie

Thanks. I'll take a look. My multiple trips to Australia hasn't provided me enough opportunity learn the language. My first language is Southern U.S. English. 063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif

Thanks. I'll take a look. My multiple trips to Australia hasn't provided me enough opportunity learn the language. My first language is Southern U.S. English. 063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif

You can have only one first language, so is yours Southern U.S. Or is it English. Sorry but you can't have both.

Guest SrPilot
You can have only one first language, so is yours Southern U.S. Or is it English. Sorry but you can't have both.

English is the root language, U.S. version is the principal dialect, Southern is the Empyreal Tongue.

But we don’t know a swagman from a Billabong or a Coolabah tree from a-waltzing Matilda. Can’t say for sure that we’ve ever seen a jumbuck or a tucker-bag, but we do know that the Jabiru under discussion was one tough airframe and I do have 2-3 Akubras to wear when I choose to do so.

But we don’t know a swagman from a Billabong or a Coolabah tree from a-waltzing Matilda. Can’t say for sure that we’ve ever seen a jumbuck or a tucker-bag, but we do know that the Jabiru under discussion was one tough airframe and I do have 2-3 Akubras to wear when I choose to do so.

Waltzing Matilda Territory style (Ali Mills) will save you the effort of translating "jumbuck";

• Like 2
  • Winner 2

Guest SrPilot
Akubra's are now made from FRENCH bunny fur. We have plenty of rabbits but no organisation of the harvesting. Pretty good hat anyhow. Nev

My first one is circa 1991. Bought it in Alice Springs.

English is the root language, U.S. version is the principal dialect, Southern is the Empyreal Tongue.But we don’t know a swagman from a Billabong or a Coolabah tree from a-waltzing Matilda. Can’t say for sure that we’ve ever seen a jumbuck or a tucker-bag, but we do know that the Jabiru under discussion was one tough airframe and I do have 2-3 Akubras to wear when I choose to do so.

Sr, you have to be Tasmanian to wear more than one Akubra at a time... ( it's a Mainland joke..)

• Agree 1
  • Haha 5