CASA RAAus Ramp Checks

Hi All,

I have copied this directly from their website, I thought it may be of interest to new pilots just beginning their XC's

Sport pilot and have been selected by a CASA inspector for a ramp check

Printer-friendly version

I’m a Sport pilot and have been selected by a CASA inspector for a ramp check

What happens now?

I’m a Sport pilot and have been selected by a CASA inspector for a ramp check

The inspector will ask you for, or confirm, your pilot certificate and other relevant documentation

• You should carry your pilot certificate with you when you fly. However, some sport organisations may have different rules, so check your organisation’s operational manual or regulations. It is also suggested that you carry a copy of your log book page with last flight review.

• Current/valid RAAO membership

• Aeroplane operated in accordance with the privileges and limitations of your pilot’s certificate

• Correct endorsements for flight

• You must carry your current aviation medical certificate if applicable and you must be compliant with any restrictions or endorsements on your medical certificate or driver’s licence (e.g. the wearing of corrective lenses).

The inspector will then check your preparation for flight

Flight plan

• Have you maintained a navigation/fuel log?

• Have you made a careful study of forecast weather and applicable NOTAMs?

• ≥ 50nm from departure point ELT/PLB required for two-place aeroplane

• If carrying a passenger - passenger endorsement

• ≥ 25nm from departure point – cross country endorsement

• Are you carrying the appropriate, current charts and documents?

• Are they easily accessible?

• Are you carrying an EFB for your charts and documents? Back-ups considered?

Finally, the inspector will check your aircraft

The inspector will check:

• The aircraft’s registration is current

• Condition of the aircraft

• The daily inspection

• Pilot’s operating handbook (POH) or flight manual

• Emergency checklists

• Warning placard if applicable

• Copy of CofA if applicable

• Aircraft has a placarded maximum take-off weight in accordance with the flight manual

• Aircraft is operated within weight and balance limits

• Required emergency equipment on board is serviceable and accessible if applicable

• Personal locator beacon (PLB) has current registration with the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA)

David

What is "Current/valid RAAO membership" .RAA not good enough now, plus your flying club membership too.

spacesailor

RAAO = Recreational Aviation Administration Organisations, otherwise known as the Gliding Federation of Australia (GFA), Hang Gliding Federation of Australia (HGFA), or Recreational Aviation Australia (RA-Aus).

• Agree 2

Is that a NEW certificate we have to carry now, as I 've never heard of it before, and if legally required. Were do we get it.

And how much will it cost.

spacesailor

Emergency checklists? I would've thought these would be committed to memory. When the brown stuff hits the fan, I don't think you'd have time to fumble around with checklists. I think you'd be busy flying the plane, and looking for a safe place to put her down, if required. Extra weight in the plane I guess

• Agree 3

I don't understand why some people get their knickers in a knot over this. If you have done all your homework in accordance with normal regs and principles, there's nothing to get upset about.

I've been ramp checked once in 30 years of flying, and that was overseas by an FAA inspector.

I've been breathalysed god knows how many times. I've been pulled over in my car and licence checked, breathalysed, registration checked, and safety inspected several times (have always passed on every item). I've had an insurance representative inspect my shed when I was organising a farm insurance policy. I've had building inspectors, plumbing inspectors, electrical inspectors all come around and do their stuff at home. I've had the local Council come around twice in a row to check that my property complied with the correct usage and zoning for my rates, then they still weren't satisfied so they went to the neighbour to confirm what I'd told them!

Honestly, in day to day life, CASA are the absolute least of my compliance concerns!

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative 1

What is the problem. Those checks are there for your safety and if you can't comply, you shouldn't be flying.

The only thing I have an issue with is the placard for MTOW. What use is that without also having an empty weight on view. To make any sense of it you have to go to the POH to work out W & B.

• Informative 1

The placard has little practical value. It's not much use to the (sole) passenger either. You can't legally fly any plane unless you have ascertained its W & B. On some aircraft it's very simple as the load is near the Cof G. On others, where the fuel is located and luggage gives much or room for error, particularly fuel located fore and aft of the CofG by some distance where it's moment is considerable and the fuel situation has to cover the entire range from full to exhaustion and stay within limits. Nev

I've been ramp checked twice since I got my licence in 1979.. Once in Maitland and the other was coming back from Birdsville at Charleville. Casa blokes were friendly enough and I had everything in order so no probs.. Apart from the aircraft docs being correct, the biggy with both seemed to be current charts, flight plan and fuel log.. At Charleville I was also tested for drug and alcohol. CASA had a contracted drug and alcohol testing officer and he was very stern in his attitude towards me, probably thought flying back from Birdsville, I was obviously hung over and still over the limit only to be disappointed after all his paperwork and sample taking and testing.. he was very thorough..

Gotta admire CASA's efforts. The video produced recently and distributed via social media talks about serious issues like carrying paper charts and re-registering ELTs every 2 years. The video cuts to a Cessna 180/185? landing whilst a Jabiru is parked on the runway - surely this would be a safety issue?