The FAA frowns on unruly wooing by passengers (U.S.)

Guest SrPilot

Guest SrPilot

It’s not often that the day job gives me an opportunity to consider issues regarding events related to aviation. When I began reading Wallaesa v. FAA (D.C. Cir., June 10, 2016), a ruling from the District of Columbia Circuit Court - a federal appellate court - I knew I was in for a treat.

The opinion begins:

BROWN, Circuit Judge: In the catalog of human endeavors, few activities are as fragile as flight. The air offers no mercy for mistakes and no second chances. Flight is, as Winston Churchill observed, “an extremely dangerous, jealous and exacting mistress,” demanding unfettered attention and respect. WINSTON S. CHURCHILL, THOUGHTS AND ADVENTURES 128 (Leo Cooper pub., 1990). In that unforgiving environment, otherwise minor disruptions may threaten major damage.

In line with that reality, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA or Agency), charged with ‘promot[ing] safe flight of civil aircraft,’ has long prohibited conduct aboard commercial flights that interferes with crewmember duties. In the determination now on review, the FAA Administrator assessed a civil penalty against Brian Wallaesa for violating that rule aboard a Southwest Airlines flight in 2009.”

The facts are worth reading.

The opinion is available at:

https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/opinions.nsf/B6E502C91060629D85257FCE005254B7/$file/13-1222-1618604.pdf

In sum, let it be know that before attempting to woo a young lass on a commercial flight being operated under the jurisdiction of the Federal Aviation Administration, you should thoroughly understand the limits imposed on your endeavors (or endeavours?).

They fined the stoner $3300, haha good luck with retrieving that. Three bucks might be OK. Wonder if he got to see her on the video in court.

BTW crazy how these waste of oxygen lawyers will argue over minutiae for hours about a trivial event that barely needed to go to court in the first place. Charging by time no doubt.

• Agree 1

Guest SrPilot
I have a problem. The document seems to be incomplete at the end of page 7. It had been an interesting read up until then. Let me know when the final draft is released.

The document has 24 pages. When I clicked on the link I got the full document. Not sure why you got only 7 pages. Here's the link again:

https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/opinions.nsf/B6E502C91060629D85257FCE005254B7/$file/13-1222-1618604.pdf

page 7? anyone got TL:DR down to say... three pargraphs?

Wait - Kiwi, you think we can say something in only 3 paragraphs?! Amazing. 064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif

page 7? anyone got TL:DR down to say... three pargraphs?

Asshill annoys hot Babe and hot Babe moves seats.

Asshill pursues despite 2 attendants and seatbelt sign.

Traveling FBI Agent bounces Asshill and secures him till landing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Winner 1

I have a problem. The document seems to be incomplete at the end of page 7. It had been an interesting read up until then. Let me know when the final draft is released.

I think your problem is that (page 7) is where the big footnote starts and then continues on the BOTTOM HALF of page 8 meanwhile the saga continues from before the footnote starts (half way down page 7) to the start of page 8.

Did anyone make sense of that?

I made it to page 24 (via footnotes).

There are some strange people in this world!