Spitfire damaged in motorway incident

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

boleropilot I love your attitude persons that are incapable of taking advice offered by persons that have taken the trouble to point persons in the direction the rules and regulations into a statement made by personsfor over forty years I piloted heavy transports over every state of aust vic tas nsw qld nt sa wa and had to know road rules and regulations off every state for road trains b double triples wide load long load over height

well princess chill out neil

hey Neil - just thinking of a fitting reply - hang on - oh yeah - how about: FUCK OFF NEIL !

I AM SO SICK OF THIS BULL SCHNITZEL - ARE YOU SERIOUSLY TELLING ME (LIKE SOME OTHER TOSSER ON THIS FORUM) THAT I WAS AT FAULT WITH MY TRAILER ACCIDENT BECAUSE I SHOULD HAVE GONE TO THE TRANSPORT DEPARTMENT AND GOT A COPY OF THE REGULATIONS BEFORE I BOUGHT THE TRAILER (LIKE EVERYONE ELSE ON THE PLANET) SO THAT I WOULD KNOW IF SOME MORON WHO SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER LOADED MY TRAILER INCORRECTLY??????AND BECAUSE I DIDN'T DO THAT I WAS ENTIRELY AT FAULT AND MY IGNORANCE OF THE REGULATIONS (AND ALL THE INFORMATION CONTAINED WITHIN) IS NO EXCUSE???????????????????????

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FAR KING MIND????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

In a word "Yes"

Glad to see you are finally getting it.

Bolero's "I AM OUT OF HERE AND WILL NOT BE BACK".lasted less than 2 hours

about as long as Ravel's boring and repetitive orchestral piece

Boring and repetitive?

Bolero?

surely not !!!!!

Hang on....I like Ravel's Bolero

• Haha 1

well - seeing you're all going to start being nice to me (who wooda thunk) I'll stay......btw, I prefer Puccini - Turandot in particular

in respect of boring and repetitive, that concept (of course) could not be attached to those who live by the creed "ignorance is no excuse" - hmm?

hey, here's a thought - shame about the Spitfire......

Just returned from a trip into that vehicular cesspit that is Toowoomba.

Aside from the usual slow moving insipid excuses for what passes as "driving" in Toowoomba, I encountered a pair of geriatrics towing a busted arxe Mitsubishi, using a rope on the highway at 60-70 kph, with traffic backed up behind them. Got past them finally and see traffic ahead on both sides of the road. Some clot lost half his load of old corrugated iron. Luckily for him, it looks like he didn't do much damage to anyone other than their cars. I wouldn't have like to have been on a motorcycle when it happened.

It's effectively a stinger pivot at the towing vehicle, extreme stinger pivot at the caravan, and probably a trailer with wheels close to the centre of load - unstable to the point of trying to twist, pitch and yaw itself apart.

Any hitches would need to be well over normal capacity.

If the last trailer A frame went under the rear of the caravan to a hitch just behind thecaravan axle, and the trailer axles are set back for correct down-force (and there was enough clearance under the caravan), the combination would be reasonably stable.

Multiple small dog trailers work well on farms, and are often found on road maintainers plant.

Stinger pivots (hitch or turntable behind the axle) are best suited to dedicated stinger drivers, because the corrective reaction required when the towing vehicle gewts out of line is reversed.

That's why it's a lot more relaxing to driver a semi trailer than a car and caravan.

With the turntable ahead of the rear axle, when the towing vehicle accelerates, part of the moment force goes on to the rear axle, increasing traction, but the rear moment leg reduces the chances of hopping or the front axle losing traction.

In unextected hard cornering, the G force on the Centre of gravity of the pivot load in pushing sideways between the axle, gives it neutral or slight understeer handling - like a car, so it's instinctive to tighten up the steering wheel to correct the outward path of the towing vehicle, and there's less movement at the rear end to start a pendulum action with the trailer.

In a stinger situation, with unexpected hard cornering, the G force of the pivot load is levering from behind the rear axle in a cantilever, so the sideways force is greater than the load and acts to force the steer axle tighter into the corner in an oversteer action, so corrective steering action has top be to turn the steering wheel towards the outside of the corner - a very unnatural action for someone who hasn't towed trailers, or who has always driven semis with conventional turntable positions.

A few years ago there were a number of Ford LTL fatalities on the Pacific Highway at night. The typical accident involved the Ford crossing the centreline and hitting an oncoming vehicle. The owner operators were trying to sue Ford for faulty trucks.

I did an analysis and found the owner operators had been buying standard wheelbase prime movers, and then fitting long, US style, Sleeper Cabs instead of the normal sleepers Ford had set the wheelbase for.

Nobody had done any weight distribution calculations, just placed the turntables behind the non standard sleeper cabs.

So instead of the turntables having a lead of maybe 150 mm ahead of the tandem centreline, they were about 300 mm behind the centreline.

Not only did that lift weight off an already light front axle, but the handling characteristics shifted from conventional (steer into the corner) to stinger (steer out of the corner).

What was happening was the drivers were dozing off, the truck would drift across the road, and when they woke up they would instinctively pull the wheel to the left.

• Informative 1

turbs gave you informative for this one because I personally know what you have written about ltl fords is fact been there done itget driving lessons I was told 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

others read and digest it neil

Probably told that by a non driving manager?

There are a few stinger applications around - car carriers are one and they are usually managed one driver/one truck, so the driver can build his reactive experience.

Meanwhile back at the ranch- speaking of aviation items falling off trucks/trailers etc............

Some dipshite moving a very large 7 ton jet engine used a tiedown suitable for a motorbike lashing. The result was predictable..........

Aircraft engine falls off truck in Sydney, driver charged

One hopes when he gets to court the book is rammed into a orifice. If a car or bike was next to it at the time it would have been tragic.

Meanwhile back at the ranch- speaking of aviation items falling off trucks/trailers etc............Some dipshite moving a very large 7 ton jet engine used a tiedown suitable for a motorbike lashing. The result was predictable..........

Aircraft engine falls off truck in Sydney, driver charged

One hopes when he gets to court the book is rammed into a orifice. If a car or bike was next to it at the time it would have been tragic.

A few things are unexplained here....your average gas turbine doesn't weigh 7 tonnes, it's transit or storage container must be bloody heavy. It shouldn't be oversize, unless they loaded it sideways.

One would hope that it was go TO overhaul, not coming FROM overhaul, in any case those engines are very expensive. I wonder if he has a job any more.

1. Arrange to move $10M jet engine.

2. Organise the cheapest haulier at $100.

3. Watch haulier secure engine with a couple of $15 ratchet straps.

4. See haulier speed through shortcut roads, to avoid $10 toll road fee.

5. Pictures of jet engine spread over the road after it falls off truck - PRICELESS!