Low Level Flying and RAA Pilot Certs. Random Thoughts of the Day

SSCBD

While I agree that's it's good to understand your systems, it really should not necessary to pass exams to say that you understand how to use a CS prop, or operate a turbine (assuming that's what SS is getting at) to drive your Thruster around the block. I have met plenty of professional pilots with only a vague idea of how all the mechanical and electrical bits work, and I think that the comment about scant regard for safety is unfounded, and as for the feelings of other pilots...why does it matter?

• Agree 1

I don't disagree really Yenn but people who fly CS props often don't know enough about them and THAT matters. If you know the material that relates to your section of flying that is the minimum. How a jet engine works doesn't matter much as long as you know not to go near the back of them when they are running above idle (or even then) IF you only fly one plane for a long time, you really don't like getting in anything much else, because you have become very much a creature of habit, and often only do wheeler landings in a taildragger. You can look as though you doing a good job of it, but the level of input you are doing is the bare minimum. If something unusual happens , you might be behind and not with it.

When you work in an airline or such converting to a new plane shakes a bit of dust out of your brain proving you need some changes now and then.. Getting out of a B727 and flying a thruster next day does it too.. You need extra challenges to stay alert and we need lerts..Nev

The amount of training we do now for a RAA cert, could put us in a VH plane,To fly circuits around your home base in a single-seater low powered plane, Thruster or drifter shouldn't entail the same cert/licence to Passenger, cargo, CS prop and or turbine motor, that is on the basic exams at the moment.

spacesailor

I don't recall turbines in the RAA course material. Nor in the PPL basic syllabus.

• Agree 1

To know how it "works",

How many of our member's, Know how to change the brushes in their alternators.

Many would say there's no carbon brushes in an alternator!.

As for "Turbine engines" there's very few piston engine passenger airlines flying now., & if they talk of "icing" at X miles high, it wouldn't be a "thuster" they mean.

Of course I didn't include rocket power!.

spacesailor

I don't recall turbines in the RAA course material. Nor in the PPL basic syllabus.

But the truly devilish homebuilder with single seat ambitions and deep pockets can build a single seat jet or turbo prop with as many jets and turbines as he/she can afford and still fit within 300kg MTOW and 30kg/m^2 ...

Shhhhh don't tell CASA or RAAus that 95.10 allows jets, it might give them concerns 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

And if anyone is interested a full self contained jet pack with battery, starter controllers and fuel tanks for hang gliders can be had for just over $10k ... if your interested let me know ... 023_drool.gif.742e7c8f1a60ca8d1ec089530a9d81db.gif

• Informative 1

But the truly devilish homebuilder with single seat ambitions and deep pockets can build a single seat jet or turbo prop with as many jets and turbines as he/she can afford and still fit within 300kg MTOW and 30kg/m^2 ...Shhhhh don't tell CASA or RAAus that 95.10 allows jets, it might give them concerns 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

And if anyone is interested a full self contained jet pack with battery, starter controllers and fuel tanks for hang gliders can be had for just over $10k ... if your interested let me know ... 023_drool.gif.742e7c8f1a60ca8d1ec089530a9d81db.gif

I was talking to a guy at Narromine with a little gas turbine heli. It was a Solar APU, and according to him, was lighter than a 912, made about 160 shp and was about half the price of a 912. Picture that in a Savannah.

I was talking to a guy at Narromine with a little gas turbine heli. It was a Solar APU, and according to him, was lighter than a 912, made about 160 shp and was about half the price of a 912. Picture that in a Savannah.

Two words.... "fuel economy"...

Except that a Savannah would never fit within 95.10 and the Solar APU does not come with a recovery turbine and gearing to suit our prop speeds ... it at the final drive speed is around the ungeared speed of our two strokes - it was a starter motor for the main engine on military jets - even in the BD5T it gets significantly geared down with the drive shaft - and as noted you best leave the passenger behind to carry the fuel to make the aircraft flyable.

• Agree 1

I guess it would get off and climb even better...what other improvements would you imagine?

Except that a Savannah would never fit within 95.10 and the Solar APU does not come with a recovery turbine and gearing to suit our prop speeds ... it at the final drive speed is around the ungeared speed of our two strokes - it was a starter motor for the main engine on military jets - even in the BD5T it gets significantly geared down with the drive shaft - and as noted you best leave the passenger behind to carry the fuel to make the aircraft flyable.

You can fit a turbine into 95:55, you're just limited to one engine. Yes I'm aware that they need a PSRU, but they still come in very light. Probably not light enough to compensate for the fuel consumption, which is roughly 50lph at 60HP and 60lph at 75 HP, but c'mon doesn't anyone do things because it's fun anymore?

Wait, don't answer that....I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

You can fit a turbine into 95:55, you're just limited to one engine. Yes I'm aware that they need a PSRU, but they still come in very light. Probably not light enough to compensate for the fuel consumption, which is roughly 50lph at 60HP and 60lph at 75 HP, but c'mon doesn't anyone do things because it's fun anymore?Wait, don't answer that....I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

Don't be daft......we're all too Growd Up an' busy practisin' The Roolz to be bothered with fun!!!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting discussion on early flight training.

I am the guilty one who started the recreational pilots licence in NZ 25years ago.

Well its great but not how we started. The plan was to get new blood into aviation, and to keep our senior members flying..

LSA has come along now its all check book operators who now longer fly their 180,s etc.

Luckily we still have builders.

My aircraft a 1588 lb Jodel costs $nz15.00 per hour to fly. Stall 35 mph. Vne 174 mph.

Wood is good.

Chas

I don't want controlled airspace endorsements under RAAus, I just think it is going to bring more rules and regulations and costs along with it, all I really want is a 750 kg MTOW so that our LSA's can be made a bit tougher for our outback airstrips etc and be able to carry 2 people and some luggage and full fuel safely so that it keeps us well under the MTOW, I think at the moment there are quite a few LSA's that would struggle to do that and stay under 600kg.

David

• Agree 1

I would really like to see some rag and tube pylon racing. I've seen video of it with X-Airs in Portugal. I reckon it would go well with Drifters too.

We used to do pylon racing at our airfield back in those good old days, however, the only pylons was the windsock and a tree. We could only do the course circuit three times as it took

45 minutes to complete one circuit. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif'

Alan.

• Haha 1

We used to do pylon racing at our airfield back in those good old days, however, the only pylons was the windsock and a tree. We could only do the course circuit three times as it took45 minutes to complete one circuit. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif'

Alan.

Bet it was still fun though...

airdancer.jpg.10912eb46af0a5de6c579f9fe5f4f61c.jpg Just get a couple of these....all good