Speaking on the radio

I still seem to get tongue/brain-tied a bit on the radio. There seems to be this odd side-effect of depressing the transmit button that significantly decreases your nervous system's ability to function.

I'm OK with Class D procedures, but I guess being based at YBAF, it's not overly surprising. It's some CTAF calls in which the thinking occurs, but the speaking doesn't. Calls like inbound with intentions and departing/joining the circuit. Position reports in the circuit I find OK.

So I've started just blurting out CTAF calls whilst I'm driving the car (which has made for some odd stares when my wife is with me). I find that I really do have to speak and not just think about it, in order to make it effective.

So I'm up to about 50-60 hours total experience, but ~10 hours solo. So I'd still be classed as being rather "low time".

How long was it for others before the words started to flow naturally after pressing the button?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people have too much flow when they press the button! But that is a whole nuther argument.

I only have around 300 hours and I still find myself saying things wrong. I find the best thing to do is to say aloud the call to yourself before transmitting it, I find that way I often pick up on missing things or incorrect terms but it does have to be out loud. Obviously wasting time on urgent replies is not advisable but for your standard inbound/departure calls it is well worth the extra ten seconds to get it right.

The main thing to remember is you are only talking to other pilots, you are not doing a public speech so don't wind yourself up too much about it. At the end of the day all you are doing is letting likeminded people know where you are and where you are heading.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 2

I still seem to get tongue/brain-tied a bit on the radio. There seems to be this odd side-effect of depressing the transmit button that significantly decreases your nervous system's ability to function.How long was it for others before the words started to flow naturally after pressing the button?

Thank God - I thought it was just me! Got absolutely tongue tied when my instructor asked me to give the taxiing call on my 4th lesson last week! Knew exactly what to say and immediately had a complete brain-fade as soon as I pressed the button ...Mike

• Helpful 2

The main thing to remember is you are only talking to other pilots, you are not doing a public speech so don't wind yourself up too much about it. At the end of the day all you are doing is letting likeminded people know where you are and where you are heading.

Maybe I've spent too much time listening in on YBBN ATC via the internet. So fast, so precise ... Just takes practice I guess. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

... Mike

Think about not only what you are saying but WHY and I suggest it will fall into place.

Some just broadcast what they have been told to say without any reasonable appreciation of "situational awareness". (Can be annoying).

Although the phrases might be foreign to start with, thinking about the purpose may help it all fall into place.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Maybe I've spent too much time listening in on YBBN ATC via the internet. So fast, so precise ... Just takes practice I guess. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif... Mike

As SDQDI said, you are just talking to other pilots for the purpose of maintaining separation. Try to relax and just say calmly what you need to say.... Yes, practice what you need to say, like the mandatory calls, but when a pilot or ATC talks back to you, just talk to them as if you're in the same room ... without tying up the radio for an unnecessary amount of time that is. As you know, the format for your broadcasts are:

[Location] traffic

[Your callsign]

[Location] [Altitude]

[intentions/message]

[Location]

Be slow but precise, with time and practice it will get easier and faster, but not too fast, people need to understand your message.

What helped me in the early days was, I would do simulation flights in my head, and I would verbalize all the radio calls I would make in order, from the startup radio check call, to the runway exit call and every call in between. I made so many mistakes, and froze as I had the occasional brain freeze, but better to make them there, than in the air.

I still seem to get tongue/brain-tied a bit on the radio. There seems to be this odd side-effect of depressing the transmit button that significantly decreases your nervous system's ability to function.

I heard it said once that pressing the transmit button sometimes has the secondary effect of disengaging the brain from the mouth

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 2
  • Helpful 1

I had problems speaking on the radio. I purchased a scanner to listen to my ctaf frequency and realised many calls were not perfect but got the basics across to varying degrees of accuracy.

My instructor said just concentrate on 2 important things:

1. Where you are.

2. Where you are going.

• Agree 3
  • Winner 1

Trying talking in dot points:

• Who

• Where

• What

Who - who you're talking to and who you are.

Where - where you are

What - what you're intending to do

Other bits - like repeating the name of the CTAF or received ATIS

eg 1:

• Cowra traffic, Pitts thirty one, forty two

• Turning base three zero

• Touch and go

• Cowra

eg 2:

• Bankstown tower, Pitts thirty one, forty two

• 2RN, one thousand five hundred

• Inbound

• Received Charlie

The AIP has a section listing the standard phraseology, for both pilot (and in CTA the controller). You can access AIP online free of charge.

• Agree 2

As a complete novice, approx 15 hrs and no sign of a solo! I am glad to hear its not just me. My biggest problem is understanding others in French over the headsets, it really is a test of your hearing.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

All great advice above. The thing to remember is that the format is specified so that what is said is predictable to other pilots who also have a lot on their mind. The radio calls follow a cadence that you get used to in time and are able to filter out the important ones from those which don't concern you. Case in point is 126.7 . When you're operating into an airfield that uses that frequency, there WILL be other airfields that use the same frequency within the range of your radio and you will hear pilots doing calls at those fields but you can ignore them within a couple of words of the start of the transmission.

For example, if I'm overflying Kilcoy, and I hear "Gympie traffic..." my brain switches that call off straight away.

In any case, don't get too heavy on yourself, it will come with practice and time.

• Agree 3

You must remember the primary reason for any form of oral communication. It is to clearly pass information to others.

Therefore the first rule of speaking over the radio is to speak clearly. This means avoiding trying to chatter off like a machine gun, and to enunciate.

Slow down. It's better to speak slowly and clearly for ten seconds than rattle off unintelligibly for six and then have some one reply, "Station calling, say again"

What happens if you mix up the order of things you should say? Nothing much. As long as you say all the things you have to say, people listening will get the message. That's because they are listening for the information they want. Do they think that halfway through your broadcast a listener will remember your call-sign and aircraft type? They just what to know where you are, and what you are doing. If they need to confirm aircraft type, they'll ask.

As a student pilot, you should rehearse what you are going to say a while before you are going to speak; take a deep breath; press the button and talk At half your normal conversational speed, y'all.

If you are a student doing circuits, include your radio calls in the sequence of activities you carry out to fly the plane. If you are out in the training area, you know that you'll always head back to the airport over the same reporting points. As you approach those know points think about your call as you a cruising along.

OME

• Agree 3

Rule No. 1 for using a radio is: "Engage brain before operating mouth", that is to think about what you want to say - before pressing the PTT. Repeat that each time before you initiate a transmission and with practice it will all fall into place.

Having been a professional user for many years, after a long break I found myself tripping over my tongue when I started using the radio again, even though I'm also a practicing radio amateur. Simply because I was no longer in my comfort zone. Reminding myself of Rule No. 1 helped a lot.

Rule No. 2 is to keep transmissions to the minimum required. I noted on my return that there is far too much waffle these days, particularly in GA.

• Agree 1

How long was it for others before the words started to flow naturally after pressing the button?

I manage to get it right usually but still once in a blue moon the brain and mouth disconnect. Part of being human unfortunately.

Called joining for the wrong runway in the CTAF a few months back and my "downwind" was actually an "upwind" for the other runway. I knew where I was going geographically, ie, I wasn't actually joining for the wrong runway as far as wind etc goes, but the brain completely mistranslated it resulting in a hasty correction a few seconds later. Fortunately no-one was in the circuit, so only myself and the 300 odd people at last count from around Australia viewing this thread will ever know.

(Pro-tip: if you stuff it up, get over it, re-gather your thoughts, and correct it).

We were always taught from the early military days to be disciplined in our phraseology, and adhere to standard terms as per the AIP. I remember a number of occasions after the flight skulking off quietly to a corner at the suggestion of the PIC to re-read what I was actually supposed to say, versus the slightly out-of-order version which came out. This was a good habit to get into, as you'll be surprised what you pick up. Even today with R/T calls containing many "variables", like inbound calls, I find myself silently rehearsing in my head before transmitting.

I personally find it easiest to break down what I'm supposed to say into manageable chunks of thought:

1) Who am I talking to and what is my callsign?

2) Where am I?

3) What am I proposing to do, or where am I going?

Sorry....just realised roundsounds beat me to exactly the same advice!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Some people are very self conscious. Public speaking and making PA's in flight are not things I relish. When I did my first prac teaching experience I was 17 years old and pretty shy (still am believe it or not) and the kids I was in front of were only a few years younger. I was so self conscious I went out of the room appearing to be getting something, and re entered with a bit more composure.

If you going to announce something have a fairly good idea of what you want to talk about, (if not the precise words). If you have nothing to say you will talk rubbish, and it will be obviously so.

The shorter the message the better. Use words like you are paying big money for them.. Speak slow... lower your voice... Don't go shrill.... (sounds like you are panicking)... Know your procedures ..Don't try to sound like an ace in a war film. If you don't understand something say . XYZ,... This is ABC, SAY AGAIN ALL after (some word) or just ALL.. Don't guess at what was said.. If your radio is $#1T get it looked at. Do a radio check before flight if you can arrange it with someone.. Listen before you press the transmit button so you don't transmit over them. Be aware that if your PTT button jambs you mute all close range conversation or more. VHF is line of sight.. Nev

• Like 1

Practice talking to a post, talking to the dog, talking to thin air, talking to the missus (oh hang on I already said thin air)Seriously though practice practice practice.

Absolutely correct! My dog thinks I'm even crazier than before, the post ignores me and my missus left me (although that was 40 years ago, so there might have been some other reason). Fortunately no one can hear me when I make circuit and landing calls as I drive the last couple of kms home and up the driveway

Mike .drive.gif.1181dd90fe7c8032bdf2550324f37d56.gif

As a complete novice, approx 15 hrs and no sign of a solo! I am glad to hear its not just me. My biggest problem is understanding others in French over the headsets, it really is a test of your hearing.

Damn Frenchies! Don't they know English is the language of the air? Must be a real challenge for you on top of everything else! Listening to the commercial aircraft calls on YBBN ATC, I'm impressed at how clear the calls from foreign pilots are, even with slight accents.

Mike 056_headset.gif.8e2503279a37389023f4d903d46b667a.gif

• Like 1

All great advice above. The thing to remember is that the format is specified so that what is said is predictable to other pilots who also have a lot on their mind. The radio calls follow a cadence that you get used to in time and are able to filter out the important ones from those which don't concern you. Case in point is 126.7 . When you're operating into an airfield that uses that frequency, there WILL be other airfields that use the same frequency within the range of your radio and you will hear pilots doing calls at those fields but you can ignore them within a couple of words of the start of the transmission.For example, if I'm overflying Kilcoy, and I hear "Gympie traffic..." my brain switches that call off straight away.

In any case, don't get too heavy on yourself, it will come with practice and time.

I second that and am grateful for the advice. Have taken all these helpful comments on board and actually made the taxiing and take off calls perfectly this morning. Even comfortably separated the Caboolture and Caloundra calls as we circled Moreton Island.

... Mike

• Like 2

Most of the above is good advice.

Think about and rehearse what your are going to say BEFORE you press the button.

I have a 'cheat sheet' of the common local calls I get students to use for the first few flights.

They generally read from them religiously for the first few flights but fairly soon become familiar and comfortable with the calls and the 'cheat sheet' is rarely consulted.

Here is an example of the example calls - just amend the numbers to suit the situation.

Radio Calls Ravensthorpe 2.pdf

Most of the above is good advice.Think about and rehearse what your are going to say BEFORE you press the button.

I have a 'cheat sheet' of the common local calls I get students to use for the first few flights.

They generally read from them religiously for the first few flights but fairly soon become familiar and comfortable with the calls and the 'cheat sheet' is rarely consulted.

Here is an example of the example calls - just amend the numbers to suit the situation.

Thanks DWF. My CFI also gave me a similar cheat sheet, which, as a one-time actor, I immediately attempted to memorise. Always had difficulty learning lines, but find that just as with theatrical lines, the standard calls are becoming easier to speak after practice and repetition in context. Fully expect to be on top of them by Opening Night!

... Mike

...As you know, the format for your broadcasts are:

[Location] traffic

[Your callsign]

[Location] [Altitude]

[intentions/message]

[Location]

One small improvement to this list: the very first word of your transmission may be missed by other pilots, so it shouldn't be a critical item. Therefore, call "Traffic Bullamakanka...".

If they didn't hear "traffic" it doesn't really matter.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

One small improvement to this list: the very first word of your transmission may be missed by other pilots, so it shouldn't be a critical item. Therefore, call "Traffic Bullamakanka...".If they didn't hear "traffic" it doesn't really matter.

Yes that makes sense, but the format taught now is "Bullamakanka Traffic" with "Bullamankanka" the last word at the end of the message, just in case, as you said, you miss the first part.... That is how I was taught throughout my entire flight training and supported by all the study material, which was within the last year and a half .... I hear the traffic first format a lot. I don't think it matters much, as long as the message is out there and being understood by everyone.