Is this considered a Serviceable or Unserviceable aircraft condition?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also a Australian Wirraway, Left at the Stokes-valley railway museum, Very low hours,CAC.Wirraway_.jpg.97ce78df053c62aaa69c4bd8c17edb5d.jpg required new stringers due to being used as a crop-duster.

Very cheap aircraft, the price was a Large bottle of Scotch whiskey for the farmer owner, & he sat two of us in the hopper burning up the fuel doing fast taxi runs.

spacesailor

Obviously your LAME friend is prejudiced against Raa aircraft. I think he/she needs to realise what RAA is all about.

It wasn't the quality of his work I was noting, I dont know the person, it was the prejudice I had problem with. That being said, I used a good LAME when I built and had extra inspections done to make sure I was doing it right and it was safe...

go to any GA airport in the world and you will find abandoned aircraft, whats so special about this one?

So tell us FT, it's time to be honest mate, Your avatar has changed. Do you have a have a new love in your life. Nudge Nudge Wink Wink?

So tell us FT, it's time to be honest mate, Your avatar has changed. Do you have a have a new love in your life. Nudge Nudge Wink Wink?

Big improvement on the old one, and I notice the number of posts seem to have dropped off too. Probably just a coincidence.

rgmwa

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like Flying and Grange and greyhounds can bring you down. What seemed like a good idea wasn't. Small fry caught only. Big crims carry on. Moral.... If you are going to be a criminal, do it big, and have more influence. Nev

As has been mentioned in this thread,this aircraft IS still being used!

At the time of the OP photos it was the main trainer at a school down at Donnington airfield Woodstock (Google " flight training schools Townsville Facebook" for a video of it flying and an admission of taking the young girl for a fly ) don't be fooled by the J160 in the photo,word has it that it will sit for 4 months at a time and has about 60 hours on it since 2009.

Why they don't use that J160 which is a perfectly good aircraft is anyone's guess.

I first saw this Gazelle when it showed up at a fly in at Ingham in around August 2016

As the CFI drives to fly ins there was some banter as to who was going to be silly enough to "play the student" and get in this particular Gazelle and fly the CFI's wife up ,whom apparently claims on her Facebook page, to be a pilot at the school but nobody has seen her fly solo.

This aircraft is an absolute disgrace and an insult to RAA members who are trying to do the right thing.

I am lead to believe,after having no luck in getting through to the CFI, a number of official complaints had been made to the Tech manager by people trying to give him a heads up on what is actually happening,only for the Tech manager to say a thorough investigation has been carried out and it has been sorted.

Any wonder the OP had gone public !

In my opinion a crash involving this aircraft is imminent.

I saw with my own eyes the severe corrosion on the torque tube and where the torque tube enters the aileron.The bush in the hanger supporting the torque tube where it enters the aileron is missing so there is excessive play and just asking for a flutter event !

Here is an AN warning of these very symptoms (in case link does not work have attached photos of an)

https://members.raa.asn.au/storage/an-2-2000.pdf

The leading edge of the left hand end of the port aileron is corroded paper thin !

Roofing screws in the doors,poor lock wiring,kinked brake lines,cracked non standard tyres,filiform and exfoliation corrosion etc etc ...

The CFI has been heard to boast the aircraft is also illegally fitted with a 100hp Rotax and not the 80

this is a 24 rego aircraft used as a trainer and should be used as an example of what's required of good airmanship to new members .At the moment it's an embarrassing insult to us all

Image-1-4.jpg.a4e3bd756111591d225da610191f1f2f.jpg

Image-1-1.jpg.67a8fd56575e1eec534fb4b9a4300637.jpg

Image-1-2.jpg.5d6706af322af0757b292d6a9854746e.jpg

Image-1-3.jpg.525ccf6182338ca352b567e168c0ec99.jpg

• Informative 5

As has been mentioned in this thread,this aircraft IS still being used!At the time of the OP photos it was the main trainer at a school down at Donnington airfield Woodstock (Google " flight training schools Townsville Facebook" for a video of it flying and an admission of taking the young girl for a fly ) don't be fooled by the J160 in the photo,word has it that it will sit for 4 months at a time and has about 60 hours on it since 2009.

Why they don't use that J160 which is a perfectly good aircraft is anyone's guess.

I first saw this Gazelle when it showed up at a fly in at Ingham in around August 2016

As the CFI drives to fly ins there was some banter as to who was going to be silly enough to "play the student" and get in this particular Gazelle and fly the CFI's wife up ,whom apparently claims on her Facebook page, to be a pilot at the school but nobody has seen her fly solo.

This aircraft is an absolute disgrace and an insult to RAA members who are trying to do the right thing.

I am lead to believe,after having no luck in getting through to the CFI, a number of official complaints had been made to the Tech manager by people trying to give him a heads up on what is actually happening,only for the Tech manager to say a thorough investigation has been carried out and it has been sorted.

I saw with my own eyes the severe corrosion on the torque tube and where the torque tube enters the aileron.The bush in the hanger supporting the torque tube where it enters the aileron is missing so there is excessive play and just asking for a flutter event !

Here is an AN warning of these very symptoms (in case link does not work have attached photos of an)

The leading edge of the left hand end of the port aileron is corroded paper thin !

Roofing screws in the doors,poor lock wiring,kinked brake lines,cracked non standard tyres,filiform and exfoliation corrosion etc etc ...

The CFI has been heard to boast the aircraft is also illegally fitted with a 100hp Rotax and not the 80

this is a 24 rego aircraft used as a trainer and should be used as an example of what's required of good airmanship to new members .At the moment it's an embarrassing insult to us all

[ATTACH]47958[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]47959[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]47960[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]47961[/ATTACH]

I will ask again then.......has anyone actually approached the owner/operator and voiced their concerns????

Once the owner is aware, then if no satisfactory response, then I agree, document your concerns and forward them to RAAus.

If you go public before any of that, then I think you are going about it the wrong way.

The previous one was giving me nightmares. I kept waking up screaming as in the dream he said he's coming back to finish the good work he started so ably. Nev

Never mind Nev. it was actually a greater likeness to FT than Tony anyway.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Some think it's sissy to fuss over planes and love the rough and tough look and they will fly forever if you leave them alone is popular as a concept. When those planes were made they weren't well corrosion prepared. I NEVER fly one without examining the elevator bell crank for cracks. There's no structural redundancy whatever in elevator function. Same with the aileron support struts and nylon bush set up through the sides. It's a bad advertisement for the movement and probably dangerous. These planes are not new anymore and a plane is not a tractor or lawnmower to just leave to rust and kick it in the guts and go use it/ fly it.. "Been flying for years like that" doesn't cut it. What you can't see, would be concerning too. It's obviously been operating in a corrosive environment Nev

• Agree 2
  • More 1

Thanks for the advice Kaz. RAA have been aware of this aircraft for over 12 months. There have been a number of reports as I understand it.

I am lead to believe,after having no luck in getting through to the CFI, a number of official complaints had been made to the Tech manager by people trying to give him a heads up on what is actually happening,only for the Tech manager to say a thorough investigation has been carried out and it has been sorted

QUOTE="M61A1, post: 597411, member: 5376"]I will ask again then.......has anyone actually approached the owner/operator and voiced their concerns????

Once the owner is aware, then if no satisfactory response, then I agree, document your concerns and forward them to RAAus.

If you go public before any of that, then I think you are going about it the wrong way.

As above RAA have been aware of this aircraft for over 12 months

From students to L2's have approached the CFI and RAA and have been fobbed off

• Winner 1

As has been mentioned in this thread,this aircraft IS still being used!At the time of the OP photos it was the main trainer at a school down at Donnington airfield Woodstock (Google " flight training schools Townsville Facebook" for a video of it flying and an admission of taking the young girl for a fly ) don't be fooled by the J160 in the photo,word has it that it will sit for 4 months at a time and has about 60 hours on it since 2009.

[ATTACH]47958[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]47959[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]47960[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]47961[/ATTACH]

If RAAus won't do it, report it to their masters, CASA.

Reporting unsafe behaviour | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

• Caution 1

What intrigues me about this whole thread is the OP has made 2 posts.

Then 2 different people who joined only after the OP come on and bag the school involved.

Smells like a witch hunt to me.

• Agree 1

What intrigues me about this whole thread is the OP has made 2 posts. Then 2 different people who joined only after the OP come on and bag the school involved.

Possibly, but they are offering photo evidence and eye witness statement. If it is false info they leave themselves open to legal action. Perhaps they just don't know where else to turn.

• Like 1

Possibly, but they are offering photo evidence and eye witness statement. If it is false info they leave themselves open to legal action. Perhaps they just don't know where else to turn.

Then it should go through the correct channels.

RAA and if no satisfaction, then CASA.

A public forum is not the right place and this is not the right way to do it.

I have seen businesses and people destroyed by people slandering them on social media.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

What do you suggest Geoff?

Just Let it go till it drops out of the sky, preferably with a student in it?

Sounds like people have tried the correct channels and are now curious to see what the RAA standards really are.

Time to pull your head out Geoff and stop defending the dodgy operator

• Agree 1

Then it should go through the correct channels.RAA and if no satisfaction, then CASA.

A public forum is not the right place and this is not the right way to do it.

I have seen businesses and people destroyed by people slandering them on social media.

I agree.. Although, to qualify, it may be the public forum is a place to come to for people with concerns and ask advice on what to do next (but beware the responses)

To which the responses for what to do next have been eloquently summed up in the above post. Of course, if it the a/c is unairworthy, the operator is intentionally operating it as such and the [edit] collective [/edit] regulators turn a blind eye, the next point of escalation would be the press and they would have a field day with it.

• Caution 1

What do you suggest Geoff?Just Let it go till it drops out of the sky, preferably with a student in it?

Sounds like people have tried the correct channels and are now curious to see what the RAA standards really are.

Time to pull your head out Geoff and stop defending the dodgy operator

What do I suggest? Simple put a formal complaint through the correct channels. "bt50flyer" stated that he is led to believe that it has been reported to RAAus and the CFI has been approach which sounds to me as if he is not sure. So be sure report it, follow it through and if you get no satisfaction go to the next level in the chain. (If the evidence is there then there should be and almost immediate response).

Hinting and innuendo will do nothing to fix the problem.

My comment is as valid as either of the complainants here my feeling is that if there were a legitimate complaint submitted correctly then it could not possibly be ignored if the evidence as shown here holds up.

I am not trying to defend anyone other than a fair go.The fact that I have not been further North than Bundaberg since starting my flying means I have no axe in this particular fire other than my own sense of right and wrong and at the moment my BS alarm is going of in a big way.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

the next point of escalation would be the press and they would have a field day with it.

Probably not great for the sport as a whole. I'd be more inclined to agree with the poster who recommended reporting it to CASA. If they got those pics and the stories that've been told here, I can't see them ignoring it.

• Agree 1