Rex aircraft losses a prop mid-flight

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting the photo's jabiru. Looks like the shaft has sheered off due to metal fatigue. Flying on after a precautionary landing with propeller tip missing as on one recent flight after a bird-strike won't help a lot in the balance dept.. Not sure whether this was the same aircraft.

This particular aircraft did have an issue at Lismore in the last week or so, I read, but can't find the reference at the moment.

Everyone is safe, that's the main thing.

• Agree 1

Needless to say a propeller shouldn't come off in flight due to metal fatigue or any other cause. We used to operate 40 year old C130s with high hours in the RAAF and a prop never came off.

They'll obviously be casting a pretty critical eye over maintenance records and that propeller's history.

• Agree 2

We used to operate 40 year old C130s with high hours in the RAAF and a prop never came off.

That only suggests that it's extremely unlikely, not impossible. As usually happens in these events there will be a sequence of very low probability problems that happen to combine to an extremely low probability event which actually occurs.

Who would be an ATC? 2 x PAN simultaneously! 18.40 on the recording, very cool operators.

Like most incidents, it seems that there is always an alignment of minor things causing a major thing - I suppose the lesson for us is, DON"T ignore the minor points, and train your mind to cope with the "Oh Dear" episodes.

That only suggests that it's extremely unlikely, not impossible. As usually happens in these events there will be a sequence of very low probability problems that happen to combine to an extremely low probability event which actually occurs.

My implication is that these things (wings coming off, propellers coming off, engines coming off) are almost always traced back to human error, not a one-in-a-billion material failure.

Can anyone of you bring up the radar track for this aircraft? According to the news report, the loss occurred 16 kms from ASSY which is about 8.5 NM. I reckon the prop is in the Holdsworthy Army Firing Range.

Damned lucky that the prop spun towards the wingtip, otherwise it would have severed the forward fuselage right off.

OME

Educated guess is it's around half way between Narellan and Min'o but they were grounding about 4 miles a min at the time so 30 sec here or there could change that a bit.

Just a thought!.

Does Rex have a property damage insurance, What does happen when an aircraft part hits your car/ house/ Skull. Or do the police come & confiscate the assultant (spelling assailant) evidence away,

Often see damage months after a car hits a house or its retaining wall!.

spacesailor

It is a bit of a crude mix from a scanner going through multiple frequencies by the sounds of it. I hear both frequencies of Sydney Tower. The female ATC is clearing Lan Chile to lineup 16L and instructing others to taxi via Tango and Lima which means it's Sydney Tower West 124.7 (16L/34R).

The first male ATC is working Sydney Tower East 120.5 (16R/34L).

There's another male ATC later which is Sydney Approach. The initial Rex call you hear on this tape is to Sydney Approach. he then talks about handing over to Sydney Director.

You've got a swag of frequencies for Sydney - normally divided into the eastern (main) runway which is 16R/34L and the western ("third") runway which is 16L/34R. Though if things are quiet they sometimes combine certain frequencies. The arrival sequence is:

1) Melbourne Centre on descent

2) Handoff to Sydney Approach from around 15000ft or so (never paid much attention to exactly when actually!) up to initial turn on downwind (different frequencies for east & west runways)

3) Handoff to Sydney Director for vectors for downwind, base and final intercept (different frequencies for east & west runways)

4) Handoff to Sydney Tower on final approach (different frequencies for east & west runways)

5) Sydney Ground vacating (different frequencies for domestic & international)

• Informative 5

008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

If an aviation enthusiast finds it, there will be little chance that REX or CASA will ever see it again.

Would look nice on the pool room wall with aviation photos around it 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Luckily it wasn't the prop on the alternative engine as rotation would see a slightly different direction of travel roughly through seat 7A..

Ok, quickie.

It was pointed out that about 18:00 there are TWO PAN flights inbound.

One the REXX and one was ...... Air Ambulance?

So, given the REXX flight was unexpected, listening to the file/playback, I couldn't discern that the other flight had problems.

They were just a "medical emergency" flight.

Granted they need to be helped, but I would have thought that the medical flight would be IFR (or what ever) and it was IN THE SYSTEM, so the people at Sydney would already know of its impending arrival.

Yeah, ok. I'm dumb.

It is a bit of a crude mix from a scanner going through multiple frequencies by the sounds of it. I hear both frequencies of Sydney Tower. The female ATC is clearing Lan Chile to lineup 16L and instructing others to taxi via Tango and Lima which means it's Sydney Tower West 124.7 (16L/34R).The first male ATC is working Sydney Tower East 120.5 (16R/34L)...

You've got a swag of frequencies for Sydney - normally divided into the eastern (main) runway which is 16R/34L and the western ("third") runway which is 16L/34R...

Dutch are sure you haven't got your east and west befuddled?

The other aircraft was QLink something delta (Q400). They were confused in regards to who approach were talking about as they had also declared a PAN. They were requesting 16R until they realised there was another pan who were OEI and accepted 16L.