Question about the big C

My favourite hobby is on hold at present because I have a medical issue. Fortunately I have friends who can take me up in my plane regularly.

I had surgery for bowel cancer in March and am now doing a 6 month course of chemo. Then there will be surgery (I hope) for reversal of a stoma. I know others on this forum have been down this road. How long should I expect to be grounded before I can satisfy the requirements for my Class 2 medical? Or should I be shopping for an RAA aircraft?

Sorry to hear that. Individual cases vary so I don't think there's a one answer to this question. The issue should be are you fit to fly?. Some treatments would preclude that as the side effects are considerable at that time. Just having cancer somewhere is not uncommon and can be symptom free. I wouldn't have a lot of confidence in the Avmed path . You don't need stress at this time either. Check out the drivers licence equivalent situation thoroughly. Have you a good GP? They should be central to case management. If you don't have one get one. Best wishes. , get the best advice.. Nev

My favourite hobby is on hold at present because I have a medical issue. Fortunately I have friends who can take me up in my plane regularly.I had surgery for bowel cancer in March and am now doing a 6 month course of chemo. Then there will be surgery (I hope) for reversal of a stoma. I know others on this forum have been down this road. How long should I expect to be grounded before I can satisfy the requirements for my Class 2 medical? Or should I be shopping for an RAA aircraft?

Stomach cancer seems to be more predictable than a lot of others, with a lot of permanent recoveries. Every case is different though, and you're probably well down the track of the psychological ups and downs before and after each visit.

I would wait until a few weeks after the chemo to see off any side effects from that treatment, and also around that time you might get a scan to say you are clear, in which case you have a simpler story.

In the meantime an instructor as PIC will work for those times you feel good and need a reward and the others where you need a change of experience

My cancer was bladder cancer. I assume as you are on chemo, you are seeing an oncologist. He/she should be able to give you some guidance. Be aware of chemotherapy-related cognitive impairment, often called chemobrain, affecting memory or clear thinking. I also have impairment of balance - sometimes I stagger like I'm drunk, but I am a non-drinker. I always use a shopping trolley in a shopping centre, even if only buying one item. It works like a walking frame but is less conspicuous.

• Like 1

My favourite hobby is on hold at present because I have a medical issue. Fortunately I have friends who can take me up in my plane regularly.I had surgery for bowel cancer in March and am now doing a 6 month course of chemo. Then there will be surgery (I hope) for reversal of a stoma. I know others on this forum have been down this road. How long should I expect to be grounded before I can satisfy the requirements for my Class 2 medical? Or should I be shopping for an RAA aircraft?

I know someone who had bowel cancer cut out, did not need any chemo and had his class two back in about a year but needed annual medical for the next four years.

Stomach cancer seems to be more predictable than a lot of others, with a lot of permanent recoveries. Every case is different though, and you're probably well down the track of the psychological ups and downs before and after each visit.I would wait until a few weeks after the chemo to see off any side effects from that treatment, and also around that time you might get a scan to say you are clear, in which case you have a simpler story.

In the meantime an instructor as PIC will work for those times you feel good and need a reward and the others where you need a change of experience

Thank goodness its bowel cancer and NOT stomach cancer. (Unless I misread)

I have a friend, a member of my Men's Shed, who had bladder cancer like me, and had the same operation, about 8 months before I did. Unfortunately he developed another tumor which pressed against his bowel. He had radiation therapy, and chemo, but developed other problems which meant they could no longer treat the tumor. He has been released home in palliative care, can recognise visitors, but cannot carry on a conversation. We are just waiting for the word.

Sorry to hear of your plight.

Speaking as a doctor, the biggest problem you have is that "cancer" is not a single disease.

Cancers of different organs are all different diseases.

And even cancers of the same organ are not the same disease - they are often completely different depending on the cells involved, the category at diagnosis and whether there is any spread.

And even cancers of the same cells in the same organ are not the same disease depending on a lot of factors at the time of diagnosis.

The treatments can have the same highly varied effect on your medical as well.

So unfortunately how the disease will affect your medical is so variable that comparing or using how someone else fared is somewhat meaningless.

So unfortunately the reality is you just have to step into the tunnel and just take it as it happens. Be flexible.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

So unfortunately how the disease will affect your medical is so variable that comparing or using how someone else fared is somewhat meaningless.

I understand that Jaba, I am a member of an American Bladder Cancer forum, and have read dozens of people's stories.

In my first oncology consultation after my operation, the oncologist said our job is to try and stop the cancer from returning for as long as possible. When in remission, you are not cured, just waiting for the other shoe to drop.The first critical milestone is 2 years, as 80% of relapses apparently occur in the first two years. I am now almost at three and a half years post op, and still all clear, so the prognosis for a lengthy remission is looking good.

• Like 2

I guess that is what the oncologist is telling me too. Just deal with things as they come along. It is difficult to make decisions though. Do I sell my plane and buy another in a couple of years? Do I move to RA again from GA? If I am considered unfit for a Class 2 am I really safe flying RA? and so on.

Thanks everyone for the useful advice so far.

PM,

Although this forum is great for getting advice on Tips 'n' Tricks, in your case, I suggest that you go straight to the horse's mouth. Contact CASA directly and ask for their advice. It is an important question, so they should not stuff you around, although I don't know how they would respond to the query if you made it anonymously.

"If I am considered unfit for a Class 2 am I really safe flying RA? "

Isn't that stupid? One is either fully fit to fly, or one is not. If you were using my home airport (Camden), you could fly from it GA Day VFR anytime between sunrise and last light. Or you could fly RAA between sunrise and 0800 and from 1600 to last light. Either way you would have the same fitness level. You could conk out under either regime and come down on my house. At least if you were flying RA there would be less aircraft mess to clean up.

OME

PM,Although this forum is great for getting advice on Tips 'n' Tricks, in your case, I suggest that you go straight to the horse's mouth. Contact CASA directly and ask for their advice. It is an important question, so they should not stuff you around, although I don't know how they would respond to the query if you made it anonymously.

"If I am considered unfit for a Class 2 am I really safe flying RA? "

Isn't that stupid? One is either fully fit to fly, or one is not. If you were using my home airport (Camden), you could fly from it GA Day VFR anytime between sunrise and last light. Or you could fly RAA between sunrise and 0800 and from 1600 to last light. Either way you would have the same fitness level. You could conk out under either regime and come down on my house. At least if you were flying RA there would be less aircraft mess to clean up.

OME

I would never ever suggest contacting CASA pre-emptively unless you are required to by law. CASA has by their history proven themselves over and over again to be singularly interested in only stopping pilots flying not in helping them to get flying.

Read the rules and interpret them allowably your advantage and do what you you feel you can get away with.

This sounds somewhat cynical and perhaps even bordering on rule breaking/bending.

But you have to remember this is a game not a physical earthly law and you play by the rules of a game.

The vast bulk of the evidence is that with the exception of a very few real medical conditions there is both no evidence to support medical restriction of pilot licences and significant evidence to support the safety of flying with many medical conditions. Unlike the biological facts ( like we must have a minimum 200 mls a minute of oxygen or we die) the medical limitations put out by CASA are proved not a problem for large numbers of the population every day who do similar or more bodily stressful tasks and pass the test of life quite successfully.

Similarly pilots all over the world fly their RAAus -equivalent aircraft with medical conditions (and no medical licence beyond "safe to drive a car",) and don't drop out of the sky. Proof specific that "If I am considered unfit for a Class 2 am I really safe flying RA? " is a factually pointless question, unless you have some very specific medical conditions that would preclude you driving a car.

CASA is involved in a "game" whose rules they have made up (absolutely MADE UP - not determined by evidence) so you are at complete liberty to play their game by their rules.

But don't forfeit the game without giving yourself a chance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Winner 1

I would never ever suggest contacting CASA pre-emptively unless you are required to by law. CASA has by their history proven themselves over and over again to be singularly interested in only stopping pilots flying not in helping them to get flying.Read the rules and interpret them allowably your advantage and do what you you feel you can get away with.

This sounds somewhat cynical and perhaps even bordering on rule breaking/bending.

But you have to remember this is a game not a physical earthly law and you play by the rules of a game.

The vast bulk of the evidence is that with the exception of a very few real medical conditions there is both no evidence to support medical restriction of pilot licences and significant evidence to support the safety of flying with many medical conditions. Unlike the biological facts ( like we must have a minimum 200 mls a minute of oxygen or we die) the medical limitations put out by CASA are proved not a problem for large numbers of the population every day who do similar or more bodily stressful tasks and pass the test of life quite successfully.

Similarly pilots all over the world fly their RAAus -equivalent aircraft with medical conditions (and no medical licence beyond "safe to drive a car",) and don't drop out of the sky. Proof specific that "If I am considered unfit for a Class 2 am I really safe flying RA? " is a factually pointless question, unless you have some very specific medical conditions that would preclude you driving a car.

CASA is involved in a "game" whose rules they have made up (absolutely MADE UP - not determined by evidence) so you are at complete liberty to play their game by their rules.

But don't forfeit the game without giving yourself a chance.

While there may be merit in this age old argument, early fights dating back to the history of the original flying doctor Clyde Fenton, who operated out of Batchelor, NT but apears to have been in the gun almost monthly of DCA who operated out of Melbourne, we are required to comply with the law as it exists, not as we would like it to be.

Confusing the issue, are many people who work, drive or fly by concealing their condition. Just bear in mind that's culpable negligence.

While there may be merit in this age old argument, early fights dating back to the history of the original flying doctor Clyde Fenton, who operated out of Batchelor, NT but apears to have been in the gun almost monthly of DCA who operated out of Melbourne, we are required to comply with the law as it exists, not as we would like it to be.Confusing the issue, are many people who work, drive or fly by concealing their condition. Just bear in mind that's culpable negligence.

Mmm. I could offer a cynical response but will refrain.

Have no idea what Clive Fenton has do with anything. I've read his book. So what?

As I said, do what you have to, and do just that. Do nothing more.

Don't give ammunition to your enemy. (And make no mistake CASA is not your friend.)

Nothing culpable or negligent about that.

• Agree 1

....... and do what you you feel you can get away with.This sounds somewhat cynical and perhaps even bordering on rule breaking/bending.

Really?

I'm very sorry to hear that Pete,. . . if it's any consolation, my flying friend Johnnie Brown was diagnosed with rectal cancer 18 months ago almost to the day. He had chemo, fed from a small bottle worn on his person. . AND radiotherapy at certain intervals, which reduced the size of the thing and it was then surgically removed.

He has been declared clear for a few months now, and is considering corrective 'Plumbing' surgery to re-route the waste output from his colostomy bag to it's original exit. .

I hope and pray that everything works out for you. Johnnie says that the upside has been that he lost 42 Lb in bodyweight during the treatment period, and is now svelte enough to fly his Rans S6 Microlight WITH a passenger and not be overloaded. . . .

Other than feeling a little sick occasionally during chemo, he was not legally nor medically prevented from excercising his pilot licence. lthough I realise that OZ rules could be vastly different to ours.

Phil that is interesting. There is a list of reportable things on the Avmed website and this thing is not listed. Anyway, I have not flown since the op. And the weight loss, 25 kg so far, has been great! Nearly another 2 hours endurance if weight limited in a Rotax powered beast.

• Like 1

Got word this morning that the friend I mentioned on post #7 this thread passed away on Saturday morning.

Gotta grit the teeth and look forward when this happens Red, it's a very tough thing.