Small plane take off mishap NT

I was there at the time bull, went looking for it after I heard the news. I was at the Cappi roadhouse at the time but couldn't find the plane.

but yes it actually happened as others claimed to have seen it.

Another event I heard about was a light airplane landed or attempted to land on Ayers Rock. The news broadcast the incident showing the black

marks made by the tyres. It seemed that most of the focus was cleaning the rubber. I never heard of any follow up.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

,I also have heard about the rock landing whilst I was working building the road from the rock to the olgas so it might have happened.This was in the early nineties

I was there at the time bull, went looking for it after I heard the news. I was at the Cappi roadhouse at the time but couldn't find the plane.but yes it actually happened as others claimed to have seen it.

Another event I heard about was a light airplane landed or attempted to land on Ayers Rock. The news broadcast the incident showing the black

marks made by the tyres. It seemed that most of the focus was cleaning the rubber. I never heard of any follow up.

The Uluru landing was a hoax; some guys having a great laugh

• Agree 1

Tell that to the millions of dirt bike riders who ride on public land and beaches etc lol and also on private property ie the servo forcourt and those dirt roads to the side are private property,and I,m sure he would have only taxied up to the edge of the forecourt and pushed it to the pumps anyway all legal..............

How are you sure? You saw it?

I was there at the time bull, went looking for it after I heard the news. I was at the Cappi roadhouse at the time but couldn't find the plane.but yes it actually happened as others claimed to have seen it.

From memory this one was reported on the 1st of April, I can't remember the year.

,I also have heard about the rock landing whilst I was working building the road from the rock to the olgas so it might have happened.This was in the early nineties

umm.....so..... do you think it's possible? 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Tell that to the millions of dirt bike riders who ride on public land and beaches etc lol and also on private property ie the servo forcourt and those dirt roads to the side are private property,and I,m sure he would have only taxied up to the edge of the forecourt and pushed it to the pumps anyway all legal..............

The answer's in the posts above.

Road Laws are different in various jurisdictions.

In Victoria, all Crown Land is a road for the purposes of the Road Safety Act which means licence, registration and roadworthy and I used to prosecute Department cases against trail bike and 4WD operators charged with relevant offences.There is a Recreational Vehicle registration but it's a joke because it can only be used in a couple of small designated areas.

By contrast, my then 10 year old son and Aboriginal stockmen could drive my unregistered and decidedly un-roadworthy mustering vehicles anywhere on my station (Crown Land lease) in WA without a licence.

So the best advice is find out what legislation applies before you drive.

Kaz

umm.....so..... do you think it's possible? 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Not in the slightest really ,I,ve walked all over the topof the rock and there is only really enough flat spots to land a chopper, so no.

• 1 month later...

I was just up that way and learned the real story behind this incident.

It seems that a Cessna 206 had hit a couple of cattle when landing and was blocking the middle of the actual strip. The Jabiru was able to land on the remaining portion of the strip, but was doubting takeoff with full fuel, so elected to try the road verge. Didn't work out, but there was a valid reason he tried it....

• Informative 4
  • Winner 1