iPad reception vs iPhone

ajbate

I’ve noticed that my iPad has terrible reception for mobile data compared to my iPhone. My dad seems to have the same experience.

It’s annoying because things like weather data or traffic often does not function on OzRunways on my iPad, but is fine on my iPhone.

My iPad is about a year or so older than my iPhone, so maybe that makes a difference, but does anyone else have comment on this?

Thanks,

Andrew

My iPad about that age (5 years) has a serious comms issue on wifi. Shows one bar when the phone shows four. And very slow to load anything. I would give it to the grandkids but they wouldn’t want it.

Good point, PM. Not many kids today tolerate hand-me-downs. As grandparents we have inherited a used computer, phone and a car. Hand-me-ups.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I’ve noticed that my iPad has terrible reception for mobile data compared to my iPhone. My dad seems to have the same experience.It’s annoying because things like weather data or traffic often does not function on OzRunways on my iPad, but is fine on my iPhone.

My iPad is about a year or so older than my iPhone, so maybe that makes a difference, but does anyone else have comment on this?

Thanks,

Andrew

I think you'll find it is to do with what frequencies your phone/tablet accepts and what system your on (telstra or optus/vodaphone).

Telstra shut down the 2G network and some older phones failed to work when out of the 4G/3G areas.

They bring in new frequencies for the latest, fastest speeds and slowly make old systems redundant. One of the main reasons people upgrade.

Also different countries use different frequencies, so you need to be careful with internet/overseas purchases.

Google your device and find out what frequencies in receives and google your provider to see what they transmit on.

Your device, at that age (5yrs), may not be 4G/4GLTE capable?

So if a 3G/2G tablet you will only get 3G.... Your phone maybe picking up 4G.

5 years is a long time unfortunately.

• Agree 2

Placing my head into the lions mouth here.

But shouldnt you be getting your weather whilst on the ground. During your flight planning ? If i were flying to somplace and using for example the weather radar overlay to dodge around thunderstorms then seems to me that the conditions are getting close to IMC.

Oz runways is a electronic planning tool and paperless maps etc .

Anyway i use a mini 2 in a ram mount in front of a air vent , being on power helps to keep it cool as well and a Aldi sim card seems to work fine . i know this ony because the tracking features work reliably via the Cellular connection .

Placing my head into the lions mouth here.But shouldnt you be getting your weather whilst on the ground. During your flight planning ? ...

I would agree that Wx info should always be part of any flight plan prior to departure. EFB apps like OzRunways or AvPlan make that easy to do. However in a cross country trip of 3 hours or more, much can change. For example, getting an updated METAR for my destination aerodrome (or an alternate) is a big help to knowing which runway is into wind, QNH, temps etc.

As for differing reception with iPad and iPhone, I have made sure I’ve only bought both devices in Oz, keep them current (less than 3 years old) and have Telstra SIM cards in each. I tend to get identical (and quite consistent) reception on each device this way.

Telco Antennas sell a little gadget called the RFI TLA4100 - it is a sharkfin mobile cellular band antenna that they have fitted to the underside of RFDS aircraft with some success

I'm thinking of getting one for the Drifter and hooking it up to a Netgear Nighthawk M1 modem/router...wotcha think ????? oh yeah, only $189 AUD - bargain !!!

and if you're interested in a tiny Wi-Fi pod that is self powered and includes AHRS, A of A, ADS-B IN, GPS, and Data Recording, take a peek at a Levil Aviation product called The BOM....unbelievable

(I'm in the process of writing an article on it for Sport Pilot magazine - hey, did you like my article on the Lisa Akoya - it was on the cover of the latest edition of SP)

BP

and stop calling me Inspector Gadget !!!!!

• Informative 1

Telco Antennas sell a little gadget called the RFI TLA4100 - it is a sharkfin mobile cellular band antenna that they have fitted to the underside of RFDS aircraft with some successI'm thinking of getting one for the Drifter and hooking it up to a Netgear Nighthawk M1 modem/router...wotcha think ????? oh yeah, only $189 AUD - bargain !!!

RFI TLA4100 Looks good. I was wondering if anyone had fitted an antenna. Never seen a thread or topic on it....

well I spoke to a antenna guru at Telco and he said that the only problem was that the antenna would not work over 10,000 feet or through cloud...

I told him that neither of those factors would be a problem for a Drifter !

btw they also have a GPS equipped antenna but I got the impression that would need to be TOP mounted to access satellites...makes sense to me - the 'phone' version is intended for ground vehicles (like light rail) so it would work quite well when mounted on the roof of one of those at ground level - interesting to hear they work quite well mounted on the bottom of RFDS aircraft - gain is apparently maximised by a one square metre (minimum) ground plane but I can't see why a mounting on the bottom of the metal airframe of a Drifter would not work quite well

BP

• Like 1

Getting back to the original question.

I've noticed that my iPhone and iPad seem to vary in their reception. Sometimes they are solidly the same number of bars etc. and not only when they are both full signal. Sometimes with just two or three bars.

then other times the iPad does drop back to being a bar or even two lower than the iPhone.

Never noticed the iPad better than the iPhone though.

My iPad Air is about 3 years old now and since I downloaded the 11.2.1 update it runs like crap!. its slow and most times when searching

it will go from 4-5 bars to no service at all. My Nokia N95 at the same time doesn't loose a bar, both are on the same Telstra plan. Makes one

wonder if Apple are able to slow the older iPads to prompt customers to buy new. BTW the old Nokia which is about 15 years old now

outperforms any smart phones that are in the vicinity and I do travel to some of the most remote parts of OZ.

• 1 month later...
Guest flyaus

Does anyone use an iphone 7+ or 8+ for ozrunways?

How do you find the screen size? I hate having clutter or multiple “gadgets” in the cockpit and don’t want to buy an ipad if the phone will do the job.

Mainly in a 172 and PA28R

Telstra have a protocol that makers must drop connection once coverage goes above 100db. Customer must have high quality call......or none.

In the air reception varies alot and you hop towers. As there are usually 2 or 3 nearby your devices may be on different ones.

Even the $900 in car booster modules have to do the same

Recieving better signal just needs an antenna but getting that to handset is the difficult bit now none have antenna port

I'm going through the process of finding a "mobile wifi hotspot device". Looking at the Netgear 810s or 815s and the antenna in post #14.

This will give a direct antenna connection and wifi to all devices onboard.

If looking for something with dual sims so you can run say telstra and optus sims there are a couple of industrial modems available. (heavy and expensive without batteries)

I hate "locked" devices and am looking for something that will run on all frequencies/bands. That is the hard part.

Between telstra/optus/vodafone and various international devices and frequencies, it seems that most are made for a particular carrier and their frequencies.

Even then, some devices don't cover the full spectrum of a carriers frequencies. I get the impression the latest telstra "Nighthawk" modem severely lacks in it's 3G capability....

There seems to be an obsession with 4G Wifi and download speed (noting the online reviews) and not much emphasis on actual connections.

Download speeds are obviously irrelevant without a connection..... and not everyone lives in a city CBD 053_no.gif.471a1a133d1078b9f8a26de480216467.gif

From here.. Australian Mobile Network Frequencies

For full compatibility in Australia with all carriers, it is recommended that you use a phone with the following bands:

3G: 850 / 900 / 2100

4G: Bands 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 28, 40.

For 4G, Band 3 and 28 are the most commonly used.

If a phone has band 28 available, it is likely to have all the bands you need.

More info on frequencies and bands here... OzTowers.com.au, Mobile phone bands used in Australia. Telstra, Optus, Vodafone, NBN. 2G, 3G, 4G.

It's starting to get confusing.....

Cell fi units have two models, one handles being mobile better

Faster youre travelling the more problems with multiple cell hopping and confusion of devices

Not many consumer wifi hotspots are made to work on the move I would guess

Does anyone use an iphone 7+ or 8+ for ozrunways?How do you find the screen size? I hate having clutter or multiple “gadgets” in the cockpit and don’t want to buy an ipad if the phone will do the job.

Mainly in a 172 and PA28R

The problem is with an iPhone/Samsung S9+ Etc is that you would still have to have full paper copies as they do not statisfy the 200mm minimum requirement for EFB.Only and iPad mini and above do