Dick Smith's proposed changes to Civil Aviation Act

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cost of a boundary fence is shared equally between the neighbors usually.

We’re talking about rural boundary fences rather than expensive suburban fences. What is important to a grazier? Safely housing $500,000 worth of stock. Against that risk you don’t screw around waiting for someone else to throw in petty cash.

The cost of a boundary fence is shared equally between the neighbors usually.

What are the rules about boundaries to roads, lanes, travelling stock routes and the like?

What are the rules about boundaries to roads, lanes, travelling stock routes and the like?

My experience is if the road authority or council wants to straighten a section of road they will replace fencing, and a road authority will build new fencing if they widen a road.In one case, they replaced my boundary fence with internal standard fencing, so I just rebuilt it. We are not talking 2 metre high walls with concrete lions each side of the gateway.

If people didn't do stupid things the recue people would be unemployed . I thought that was their job rescuing people not complaining having to it .Bernie .

I fear that adventure had been outlawed.

By 'adventure' I mean the concept of dreaming up and undertaking an unconventional, perhaps unlikely activity/location/journey/whatever. In the old days one started with the dream (even if others considered it stupid), then assessed all risks, then minimised them and got on with it. If it went pear shaped, one accepted their fate without expecting the world to jump to one's rescue. It seems that in our brave new world, we are now expected to take on responsibility for the safety of our potential, perhaps unasked for, rescuers as well as our own risk.

If I want a rescue team to be a part of my personal risk control strategy, I think I should have the option to opt in (or opt out) to the rescue process before undertaking my adventures.

I fear that adventure had been outlawed.By 'adventure' I mean the concept of dreaming up and undertaking an unconventional, perhaps unlikely activity/location/journey/whatever. In the old days one started with the dream (even if others considered it stupid), then assessed all risks, then minimised them and got on with it. If it went pear shaped, one accepted their fate without expecting the world to jump to one's rescue. It seems that in our brave new world, we are now expected to take on responsibility for the safety of our potential, perhaps unasked for, rescuers as well as our own risk.If I want a rescue team to be a part of my personal risk control strategy, I think I should have the option to opt in (or opt out) to the rescue process before undertaking my adventures.

If you define yourself as doing stupid things, that might be right, but from my experience over the years on this site, I don't see you as doing that. Most of the people here undertake a high risk sport with good preparation and professional execution day after day, month after month, year after year, without injuring or killing themselves, or needing to be rescued.In the case of the small minority, the statistics say they did something wrong to get into the situation, but it's mostly human factors. Getting a grasp on human factors, starting with understanding what that term means, will make the biggest difference.

That high risk sport of which you speak is considered by many to be 'stupid'.

Part of our risk management includes providing for rescue if needed, by carrying PLB, notifying flight plans, etc.

However there are times when an unusual adventure should only be undertaken at one's own risk entirely. I support the idea of signing a 'DNR' equivalent. (Do Not Rescue.)

That high risk sport of which you speak is considered by many to be 'stupid'.

Consider this; The sport may be high risk, but almost all the risk is coming from HF or stupidity, so the vast majority are engaged in a safe activity; it's just the bottom end that needs addressing.I haven't ever heard a suggestion from the general public that flying was stupid, but plenty identify low flying show offs as stupid.

Part of our risk management includes providing for rescue if needed, by carrying PLB, notifying flight plans, etc.However there are times when an unusual adventure should only be undertaken at one's own risk entirely. I support the idea of signing a 'DNR' equivalent. (Do Not Rescue.)

Flying has guidelines with idiot marks so it's a lot easier to know where the boundaries are than with some other adventurous activities.

While a DNR sounds like a good idea there are two things I can think of that would cause it to not work.

1. Family of said person will want body to bury. So it still needs to be retrieved/rescued

2: locals where said person killed themselves won't want body left there to rot so body will need to be retrieved/rescued.

There are no doubt more points but at the end of day no matter how many pieces of paper you sign saying you accept all responsibility at times our actions will affect others. It is just the way it is.

Well, you have raised a point. Next of kin are always a problem. Often troublemakers, especially in-laws.

Point 2,

It's rather rare that adventurers find themselves dead in anyone's back yard, so I'll discount that point. Also, most (useful) rescues are focussed on retrieval of living adventurers. In many cases, money is wasted on rescue where the 'victim' would have made their way home eventually anyway. I realise that might not always be he case. But, from experience I've been force rescued twice even though I told the rescuers that "I'm fine I'll just be home a bit late for dinner." In neither case did I call them out, or indicate there was an emergency, they had heard where I was and came after me anyway. Although it was convenient to have my boat towed home, it was a totally unnecessary expense on their part.

That sound similar to the plight of 70 schoolkids in Qld recently. After being flood bound for about 3 days they were rescued by helicopter and then fixed wing. If they had sat tight for two days they could have driven out,

Main reason was to make the Qld Premier look good.

Of course the nanny state has got it all wrong. You are in far more danger from being overweight and inactive than from more adventurous activities like flying. The difference is at least 4 times, probably 6 times.

So if you see an overweight casa guy who looks like he doesn't go to exercise classes, please make fun of him. And complain to your MP. I hope turbs is not in this category of overweight and unfit.

The problem is that over the new year period ( I think it was) in the space of about a week 5 or 6 people died when despite warnings they drove through flood waters and were washed away.

It's not only flooded roads that are dangerous. It's just as bad to drive over water-filled potholes on a road, or road shoulder. You never know how deep the pothole is, and it's the far side of the hole that does the damage.

here:Nocookies

it says:

"Mr Joyce, then the Coalition transport minister, had agreed with Mr Albanese, his Labor counterpart, about removing a key part of the act that requires CASA to “regard safety as the most important consideration” in regulating the industry. Under the changes, CASA would instead be required to prioritise the “highest level of safety in air navigation” with the need for “an efficient and sustainable Australian aviation industry”."

I've written to my MP commending the changes to him, and I suggest we all think about that.

Done.... Letter written to the new minister.

That sound similar to the plight of 70 schoolkids in Qld recently. After being flood bound for about 3 days they were rescued by helicopter and then fixed wing. If they had sat tight for two days they could have driven out,Main reason was to make the Qld Premier look good.

I read that article and had a chuckle....... There was probably MORE risk and danger flying them out than waiting a couple of days, as you say.

They had food, water and communication so really, what was the problem? Nervious parents?

Where is the resilience and fortitude we Australians should have. People seem to panic at the drop of a hat these days....

If people didn't do stupid things the recue people would be unemployed . I thought that was their job rescuing people not complaining having to it .Bernie .

Except that they usually have plenty of other things that need doing as well AND it’s not their job to be put in danger while being the Good Samaritan.

Some years ago, the Darling was dry, the Murray nearly so and Qld rain came. Were they going to let a drop go to SA if they could stop it? No way, they and NSW filled the Menindie lakes instead of letting SA irrigators get any.

So now when they ask for flood relief I say no. What a long and nasty memory huh.