Great Barrier Reef destroyed by climate... or not.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Reef damage, what happened with that starfish infestation that was doing all the damage a few years back, is that still going on?

That's the Crown of Thorns Starfish and there has been a big outbreak on the southern reefs. It is native to the reef and eats live coral and leaves only the coral skeleton. It apparently can extend it's stomach which it wraps around the coral & sucks it dry. They don't know why these outbreaks occur but wherever they occur large swathes of the reef are decimated. Last I heard they were working on some parasite to reduce the numbers in the outbreak areas.

Thanks Kevin.

Lets presume the waters get a bit warmer through whatever means, will the reef not merely grow further at it's southern end?

Don't mean to sound simplistic, but I am not aware of the factors controlling where coral grows.

Climate denial is a pejorative term. .

My main issue with it is that it's a cop out. Cowards use it as a social guilt weapon rather than debating the facts.

I'm sitting here laughing at the similar labeling of Geologists by the same people who will offer the nonsensical "97% of Scientist" line, Geologists ARE scientists. 006_laugh.gif.5ff3b64e6def986f3bae8daefefe7180.gif

Many of the geologists that I know are quite unconvinced by “climate science” because it ignores a lot of evidence. In twenty years we will look back and laugh at today’s hysteria.

"Twenty years" has already passed and I'm laughing at today's hysteria.

One telling factoir is the financial and insurance institutions are still working normally re; areas that will supposably 'disappear' in 20 years due to alledged rising sea levels. I kind of think they are critical thinkers and do deep, independent investigation surrounding these claims, yet haven't backed off at all.

I often think the climate truthers are too proud to admit they been taken in big oil's marketing machine, they double down on the stupid conspiracy theories. You only have to look at how the same people go on about different types of motor oil to see how effective the big oil companies are at marketing.

One telling factoir is the financial and insurance institutions are still working normally re; areas that will supposably 'disappear' in 20 years due to alledged rising sea levels. I kind of think they are critical thinkers and do deep, independent investigation surrounding these claims, yet haven't backed off at all.

Actually I read a great article a little while back in The Economist that stated almost the opposite- that science or no, one tell tale sign that things are changing are insurance companies assessment of the future. And they are assessing it as less rosy. And if there is one thing people like to be most accurate about, it's money :D

Edit: Can't now recall if this is the article, but worth a glance:

Natural disasters made 2017 a year of record insurance losses

and two papers on climate change and insurance:

https://actuaries.asn.au/Library/Events/Conventions/2003/1050 coleman7a.pdf

https://www.aegon.com/contentassets/8193661d842f4d809a5263cb6c4120ff/climate-change-and-the-insurance-industry.pdf

My main issue with it is that it's a cop out. Cowards use it as a social guilt weapon rather than debating the facts.

I agree we should be debating facts. As a none scientist, I can only rely on trusted and peer-reviewed sources. Perhaps you would agree that I should probably start with trusted organizations that have a track record in scientific research. I thought this list might be a good start.

NASA

National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration

American Meteorological Society

National Center for Atmospheric Research

University Corporation for Atmospheric Research

Royal Meteorological Society

European Geosciences Union

Canadian Foundation for Climate and Atmospheric Sciences

CSIRO

Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society

Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society

International Arctic Science Committee

JPL

Harvard–Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics

Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research

Royal Society

Royal Institution

British Academy

Chinese Academy of Sciences

Pretty sure the insurance industry is at least considering the effect of a changing climate on their business model

Climate change challenges the insurance industry

It would take an hour or two to read all of the reference in my post 52 so I understand why you might not bother. But if you haven’t, you can’t really claim to have understood the evidence. Many people are arguing from a predetermined position and not considering all of the evidence. There is much more to this than just saying 90% of housewives think that Persil washes whiter.

There is much more to this than just saying 90% of housewives think that Persil washes whiter.

I agree but I am not sure that the figure was plucked out of the air or by a show of hands. For the record, I am quite uncomfortable with using an exact figure such as 97% of scientific papers but here is a detailed analysis of that consensus conclusion. Quantifying the consensus on anthropogenic global warming in the scientific literature - IOPscience

Whether the figure is 97% or not it is still a large majority of respected organisations.

It would take an hour or two to read all of the reference in my post 52 so I understand why you might not bother. But if you haven’t, you can’t really claim to have understood the evidence. Many people are arguing from a predetermined position and not considering all of the evidence. There is much more to this than just saying 90% of housewives think that Persil washes whiter.

reading now!

From reef to insurence. Diversionary panic what..020_yes.gif.767d5611ab0128aba1b77757dac786da.gif

And for those that don't read the post that I'm referencing here. The post from call-sign danny_galaga is referencing insurence...

Actually I read a great article a little while back in The Economist that stated almost the opposite- that science or no, one tell tale sign that things are changing are insurance companies assessment of the future. And they are assessing it as less rosy. And if there is one thing people like to be most accurate about, it's money :DEdit: Can't now recall if this is the article, but worth a glance:

Natural disasters made 2017 a year of record insurance losses

and two papers on climate change and insurance:

https://actuaries.asn.au/Library/Events/Conventions/2003/1050 coleman7a.pdf

https://www.aegon.com/contentassets/8193661d842f4d809a5263cb6c4120ff/climate-change-and-the-insurance-industry.pdf

"...Warren Buffett slammed for dismissing climate change as potential worry for insurers

Environmental activists are not buying Buffet’s arguments..."

Green Fury at Warren Buffett’s Climate Heresy

From reef to insurence. Diversionary panic what..020_yes.gif.767d5611ab0128aba1b77757dac786da.gif

"...Warren Buffett slammed for dismissing climate change as potential worry for insurers

Environmental activists are not buying Buffet’s arguments..."

Green Fury at Warren Buffett’s Climate Heresy

.[/quote

I am not sure what your point is He does dismiss climate change as a financial risk indeed he sees it as a financial opportunity. I don't know if he is right or not I am not financial wizz but he does not dismiss climate change itself. Perhaps it will be great for HIM.

"Buffett dismissed the concerns, saying climate change will actually benefit the insurance industry as they take on increased risk. Any potential losses can be addressed as the typical auto or home policy lasts for just one year – not 10 or 20 years at fixed prices – allowing flexibility in premiums.

“As a citizen, you may understandably find climate change keeping you up nights,” Buffett wrote in his letter. “As a homeowner in a low-lying area, you may wish to consider moving. But when you are thinking only as a shareholder of a major insurer, climate change should not be on your list of worries.”

Buffett added that inflation may also work to the advantage of insurers, increasing the cost of repairing property – an increase that has been matched by rises in rates.

“Paradoxically, the upward march in loss costs has made insurance companies far more valuable,” he wrote. “If costs had remained unchanged, Berkshire would now own an auto insurer doing $600 million of business annually rather than one doing $23 billion.”

danny_galaga, did I miss the link to this 'quote' of yours.. ?

Flying Binghi, did I miss your answer as to why you're so motivated to rail against the facts?

the good news is Malcolm Roberts is going to run for mayor of Ipswich so you might finally end up with a "sensible" voice in local government

You have got to be sh*tting me.Ah well, they've had a fraudster, they may as well have a complete nutjob.

failed academics often turn to the media, claiming persecution for their 'controversial views' and looking for patrons for their work, we are better off being rid of Ridd.

011_clap.gif.1a419e0bbf161730dc67def0cf6fdcf5.gif011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif011_clap.gif.1a419e0bbf161730dc67def0cf6fdcf5.gif011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif011_clap.gif.1a419e0bbf161730dc67def0cf6fdcf5.gif

failed academics often turn to the media, claiming persecution for their 'controversial views' and looking for patrons for their work, we are better off being rid of Ridd.011_clap.gif.1a419e0bbf161730dc67def0cf6fdcf5.gif011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif011_clap.gif.1a419e0bbf161730dc67def0cf6fdcf5.gif011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif011_clap.gif.1a419e0bbf161730dc67def0cf6fdcf5.gif

You will have proof of that eh, fly_tornado

And where is that link from danny_galaga...