Cri Cri

Admin

Most of the video clips of this aircraft's flight are followed by inane comments relating to the engines, their heat output, and the effects of insect ingestion. What a lots of ignorant put downs!

I see this as an example of experimental aviation at its best. The prototype flew with two 2-Stroke engines driving propellers, and most made since are prop-driven. The 2-stroke engines weigh about 17 kg each. The turbojets weigh 4.37 kg each. The ICE powered aircraft cruise around 90 - 100 kts. During the videoed flight the pilot claims a top speed of around 140 kts, so the cruise could easily be 120 kts. The fuel burn ranges from 4.25 oz/min to 22 oz/min at full power. Let's say that fuel burn is about 15 fl.oz/min in cruise. That's 0.44 litres per minute, or 26.4 litres/hr.

Colomban Cri-cri - Wikipedia

PBS - Aerospace - TJ 20 Turbojet Engine

Notice that the aircraft in the video is Australian. The owner comes from Leeming in W.A. Can Any of you Sandgropers identify the airfield the video was recorded at?

Maybe they deleted that section from the final footage uploaded - but I never saw a pre-takeoff checklist being used - and I never saw any flight controls check being carried out.

However, I did see an awful lot of fiddling with the engines startup procedures, and an awful lot of awkward cross-handed switch and controls operation. Seems to me the cockpit layout needs improvement.

Correct. The jet powered Cri Cri is based at Serpentine. There are around 130 aircraft on the field - from memory around 80 experimentals, 20 or so vintage/warbirds and the rest are commercially built. Interesting aircraft include several Tiger Moths and Austers, a Fox Moth, Sopwith Pup, Bucker Jungman, Stearman, Pitts S12, a couple of Tailwinds, Yaks, Culp Special, Stinson, Spitfire replicas, the Silver Centenary, Pietenpol, plus plenty of Jabirus, Zeniths, about 23 RV's of various types and well as Cessnas, Pipers etc.

• Like 2

Most of the video clips of this aircraft's flight are followed by inane comments relating to the engines, their heat output, and the effects of insect ingestion. What a lots of ignorant put downs!I see this as an example of experimental aviation at its best. The prototype flew with two 2-Stroke engines driving propellers, and most made since are prop-driven. The 2-stroke engines weigh about 17 kg each. The turbojets weigh 4.37 kg each. The ICE powered aircraft cruise around 90 - 100 kts. During the videoed flight the pilot claims a top speed of around 140 kts, so the cruise could easily be 120 kts. The fuel burn ranges from 4.25 oz/min to 22 oz/min at full power. Let's say that fuel burn is about 15 fl.oz/min in cruise. That's 0.44 litres per minute, or 26.4 litres/hr.

Colomban Cri-cri - Wikipedia

PBS - Aerospace - TJ 20 Turbojet Engine

Notice that the aircraft in the video is Australian. The owner comes from Leeming in W.A. Can Any of you Sandgropers identify the airfield the video was recorded at?

OME - The pilot identifies the airfield as Serpentine in his radio call prior to taxiing to the runway.

rgmwa.Was Serpentine the airfield were Norm in a Hummelbird had his accident?, I tried to find his health status, but never had a reply.

spacesailor

Yes, he went into the scrub bordering the field. I believe he was knocked around a bit but recovered. Didn't know him personally and have no idea where he is now.

From Google Maps, I'd reckon you are right. Looks like there are some nice unusual aircraft based there.

Correct. The jet powered Cri Cri is based at Serpentine. There are around 130 aircraft on the field - from memory around 80 experimentals, 20 or so vintage/warbirds and the rest are commercially built. Interesting aircraft include several Tiger Moths and Austers, a Fox Moth, Sopwith Pup, Bucker Jungman, Stearman, Pitts S12, a couple of Tailwinds, Yaks, Culp Special, Stinson, Spitfire replicas, the Silver Centenary, Pietenpol, plus plenty of Jabirus, Zeniths, about 23 RV's of various types and well as Cessnas, Pipers etc.

Serpentine is the homebuilt capital of Australia. Like a giant Santa Claus sack of projects and enthusiasts.

Serpentine's annual fly-in is on next Sunday 14th Oct if anyone wants to come down. Apart from the aircraft, various car and motorcycle clubs, miniature steam engines and other exhibits usually turn up and it makes for a good day out.

• 1 month later...