Airbus A321 Crash Landing

A Russian  Ural Airlines A321 has made a successful wheels up landing in a corn paddock just outside Moscow after a birdstrike.

https://www.rt.com/russia/466524-plane-emergency-landing-moscow/

https://sputniknews.com/russia/201908151076554599-simferopol-bound-jet-makes-hard-landing-at-mosow-region-airpot-passengers-evacuated/

• Like 1

The biggest worry there, would be pax getting off the aircraft and getting lost in the corn crop! That's some crop!

This must be a rare event - a Russian aircraft crash-landing with no loss of life. Kudos to the PIC and FO, that was some dead-stick landing feat. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Meet Captain Damir Yusupov, your Russian Captain Chesley Sullenberger. The big difference to Sully - Capt Yusupov only has 2000 hrs in command under his belt, and he only learnt to fly at age 32.

It appears he didn't even get a chance to dump fuel, landing a reported 3km from the end of the runway

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/hero-pilot-makes-emergency-landing-18938135

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGTqW_mpihY

The corn must have had quite a cushioning effect; lucky it was green and not ripe.

There's some video and photos on Baza News Twitter site, including an aerial view from a chopper.

I doubt even if he could would you dump the fuel. You would just provide a huge trail of flammable liquid and atomised fuel straight back to the aircraft.

Far too close to the ground for dumping unless you want a dump and burn.

But good job by the pilots.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Looks to have remained intact so the surface must have been pretty level. It's normally standard practice to lower the gear to absorb some of the shock but there would not be time for that and it may not have helped.  A good element of luck involved as well as some necessary good judgement..Nev

• Like 1

Don’t think they had time is my guess, the footage inside the plane shows how quick it went from climbing to descending after the power loss, gear up comes pretty quick after positive ROC.

Kudos to the aircrew, worst time to lose power is on takeoff for any aircraft, no height or time.

• Agree 1

Do you reckon the gear up landing was intentional, or just a matter of not enough time to get it down?

Marty, I'd say no time. I've found the spot it landed on Google Earth and it's not much more than 3klm from the end of the runway. On the Baza site, there's two lots of in-cabin footage, one of the lift off and birdstrike, the other of the landing in the cornfield. I'd say there's very little missing footage between those clips. A lot of luck with timing and terrain. If they were in the air another ten seconds it could have got a bit messy.

I put a red dot on the satellite screen grab where it landed. That line with some trees that the plane crossed is actually quite a substantial irrigation channel full of water.

1.jpg.03c9cb36338c50a72ce12c0516294c9a.jpg 2.jpg.35c62807734d7f7ba5fd78816d6decf3.jpg

• Informative 1

Do you reckon the gear up landing was intentional, or just a matter of not enough time to get it down?

The landing great would have been worse than useless in a crop paddock, it would have been torn off possibility puncturing fuel tanks and starting a fire. Lowering the gear would have also used some of the limited hydraulic capacity remaining, potentially making control difficult.

The pilots did a great job. 

• Informative 1

The gear is generally extended as part of the shock absorbing desired. That's the NORMAL recommended policy even if only some gear extends (except when ditching). Time and whether you would want more drag comes into this one. Gear extended with no power would have a hell of an ROD or speed decay. I'd be inclined to do what was done there. It's a great outcome that no doubt will be discussed in training circles. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The two pilots have been awarded Russia's top gong, the title of Hero of Russia, and the other crew awarded the Order of Courage.

They haven't landed on a direct straight line from the airfield; that would have landed them four paddocks closer to the white building in the middle of the cornfields.

Possibly they might have veered left to make sure they stayed in the corn and not hit the two lane road in front of them.

Seagulls from nearest black-operated landfill, plane on flight to annexed Crimea... Russia as it is.

I must have missed the black-operated landfill while on Google Earth. Do you have the co-ordinates for it?

The Domodedovo leadership complains, but the gulls in the Government of the Moscow Region have a very strong lobby....

Ha ha! What a classic statement!

If the Gulls are flying to Zhukovsky International, straight from the illegal dump, what's the attraction for them? Discarded, just slightly tastier, airline food?  :cheezy grin: