Conflict of INTEREST

Blinky Bill

The other interesting thing in all this is the maint of the aircraft you built...you need the L1 version but for SAAA this means you need to do thier course which seems to be only done once a year and only in one spot in OZ...the last one was at narromine this year and no date or place for the next one...so dont hold your breath while we wait

Perhaps check this with the SAAA Office as there has definitely been more than one this year.  Narromine, at least one in Melbourne and pretty sure there was one in Temora.  May well have been others.  

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will check it out..I looked and that was all I could find for the maint course

On the SAAA website now

MPC Brisbane QLD – 1st & 2nd February 2020

Maintenance Procedure Course Tickets – Brisbane QLD

Dates:  Saturday 1st February & Sunday 2nd February 2020

• Venue: To Be Confirmed

• Time: 8.30am to 4.00pm each day (approx)

This course is available to those wishing to complete the course for the first time (initial) and those who wish to refresh their knowledge and be updated on, for example, any changes to legislation.  The syllabus is, however, the same for both the initial and refresher attendees and so all are invited to attend the same course events.

• Tea/coffee will be provided. Lunch not included.

• Please bring note pad with pen & pencil.

• The course Trainer will make contact via email approximately one week prior to the course commencement date.

• Like 1

The HGFA (now SAFA) also hold maintenance courses which I believe are recognised by RAAus for L1. They have been mentioned in these Forums previously and in some of the SportPilot past issues.

Currently the S21 has to be built in the experimental category so need MPC to do the maint. I have a L1 for RAA but that doesnt homologate to Experimental in VH. If the 760kg comes in then I will most likely drop it into RAA but I believe in what I read you will need MPC anyway I think

• 2 weeks later...

Not

Increased MTOW is pointless without related increase in stall speed.

Wouldn't entirely agree

In addition to the 150 series aircraft there will be a bunch of Bush type  STOL aircraft,  such as Super Cubs,  my own Rebel and a couple of other robust  old-school taildraggers  that fit easily in under existing stall speeds.

No,  thats not all aircraft in the 600-760 weight class, but some.

Alan

• Like 1

You are correct and other planes might be able to be built  of simpler construction and carry a useful load, with the higher weight and stay well below the 45 knot "flapped "stall speed. There are SOME it won't help as they are up against the 45 knot stall at current weight, so they would require modification s that may not be possible in a practical sense.  Usually and extra wing panel will do the job . Some types already offer wingspan variants . Nev

Don't think you can modify, have to be certificated. Experimentals stay as they are

CASA indicated there are a few hundred aircraft that can fit into new catagory

Appears targeted to GA aircraft dropping into RAA regs rather than RAA moving heavier - hence the original comment for this thread and the thought why are RAA spending energy on it.

One could expect new parameters will attract different designs, IN THE FUTURE. It's not just what's there now that must be considered. For some it is and I understand that.  No one is worse off (If we are lucky). but who actually knows what's been traded away or what the CASA really is aiming for..? Nev

You are correct and other planes might be able to be built  of simpler construction and carry a useful load, with the higher weight and stay well below the 45 knot "flapped "stall speed. There are SOME it won't help as they are up against the 45 knot stall at current weight, so they would require modification s that may not be possible in a practical sense.  Usually and extra wing panel will do the job . Some types already offer wingspan variants . Nev

Don't think you can modify, have to be certificated. Experimentals stay as they are

CASA indicated there are a few hundred aircraft that can fit into new catagory

Appears targeted to GA aircraft dropping into RAA regs rather than RAA moving heavier - hence the original comment for this thread and the thought why are RAA spending energy on it.

My Colt will need either a Svenn system wing extension that is a bit exxy ,but looks good compared to some others, or a Micro VG kit that will bring it to 43/44 kts. Both have STCs but it seems a little silly to have a Super Cub 'in' but my wee Colt 'out'. Looks like VGs @ $1k are the go if I have to.

Ken

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It should be reasonably close to what's claimed (as a point of honesty) and it becomes fairly obvious when you are flying planes that don't stall as slow as claimed. If you are an inexperienced pilot you might just have a "what happened there" moment? as you get out of the wreck or bent U/C. Weight will affect the  stall speed of any given plane, We know that, also sloppy fabric, being nose heavy etc. . Several makers offer different wingspan models Smaller wings go faster and are a bit slow to get off the ground on a hot day. While determining the demonstrated stall speed might be a challenge  It's not insurmountable and the principles of improving stall speeds are well understood. Slotted flaps are much more effective than simple ones which are more of an air  dam. Nev

20. What is the likelihood that you would pay for an aircraft maintenance logbook review service if it was available?                                                                                                                                      22. What document do you use for recording the daily inspection, hours, landings and upcoming maintenance                                                                                                                                                  These questions come straight from the latest RAAUS Survey.So who is to benefit from the newly developed electronic log book,is it the same person who seems to be using RAAUS to promote his new aircraft dealership.Is this thus not a contrived use of position for personal benefit ie. a conflict of interest.Yes I believe there is a conflict of interest.But whats the point of our whingeing as we have lost control of RAAUS as a member organisation through apathy and a decision made on the basis of a vote where ten percent allowed this to happen.Cheers.

• Agree 1