The question of the future of flying?????

SSCBD

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, not under the influence of the politicians.

The State of Emergengy declarations by each State, Territory and the Commonwealth which were made in January/February trigger special powers to the State/Territory Chief Health Officers and the Chief medical Officer, and they have been directing what has to be done to minimise casualties and bring the State of Emergency to an end. The Prime Minister and Premiers must have metioned this several hundred times since.

I would trust a Cockroach before ANY politician. Politicians sadly, have let many people down in this pandemic.

• Like 1

It isn't for the people who will never comprehend; it's for people who may take the fairy stories as gospel and get huge fines.

it’s pretty hard to comprehend something that has been a crock, right from the start being a blanket system that covers everyone wether they live in a high density population area or a sparsely populated area. Respect for law occurs when the law is logical and fair, but there are always people who defy any law anyway, this is an imperfect planet

Many fines have been rescinded because even the Police have trouble administering the law, let that tell what a crock it is.

• Like 2

it’s pretty hard to comprehend something that has been a crock, right from the start being a blanket system that covers everyone wether they live in a high density population area or a sparsely populated area. Respect for law occurs when the law is logical and fair, but there are always people who defy any law anyway, this is an imperfect planet

Many fines have been rescinded because even the Police have trouble administering the law, let that tell what a crock it is.

Well said? I call it carpet bombing the whole population in order to wipe out a few! Still it is Australia I guess where 'logic' isn't a known word amongst politicians?

We've read all the whining and the posts by the serial flouters; it wouldn't really matter what the subject was, flying regulations or a deadly disease - they're against conforming.

The truth is someone can walk into the caravan park amenities in Sydney, Winton, Longreach, Casterton or Wagin and walk out carrying the virus. You can't predict who has been there.

With the actions that have been taken by our professional Health officers, tracing and isolating has lowered the risk substantially, but I still saw a clown flying a couple of days ago from the direction of the Barossa Valley and well into Victoria. He/she could be CV positive and could have dropped it at Horsham, Melbourne, or anywhere in Gippsland. Then we get the blowout like we did in Tasmania.

As expected Virgin is now in voluntary administration with debts over $5 Billion and no cashflow. Even before the pandemic Virgin was barely able to service it's debt let alone do anything else. The pathetic posturing of QLD & NSW offering paltry amounts to get the HQ moved is the dumbest thing I've seen in ages given the current situation. What will Deloittes be able to do except shut most of it down. Hang on that's already happened. Bransen still owns 10%, Singapore, Etihad & the Chinese own the rest but won't put any money in though Branson reckons it will emerge as the phoenix. Sadly most employees are now on the dole.

What will the receivers do? Aircraft are currently unsaleable & when things do get better there will be a glut of them available. This will be interesting if somewhat sad to watch.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I

We've read all the whining and the posts by the serial flouters; it wouldn't really matter what the subject was, flying regulations or a deadly disease - they're against conforming.

The truth is someone can walk into the caravan park amenities in Sydney, Winton, Longreach, Casterton or Wagin and walk out carrying the virus. You can't predict who has been there.

With the actions that have been taken by our professional Health officers, tracing and isolating has lowered the risk substantially, but I still saw a clown flying a couple of days ago from the direction of the Barossa Valley and well into Victoria. He/she could be CV positive and could have dropped it at Horsham, Melbourne, or anywhere in Gippsland. Then we get the blowout like we did in Tasmania.

Its hard to conform with what many see as idiocy, regardless of wether it’s law or not. Health Ministers rely on advice, not personal knowledge and who knows the quality of their advisors, many of who are university educated Millennials with very little, if any of life’s experiences.

Yes, there are many well qualified medical people who mainly have only worked in the confines of a medical facility. You want good advice? Bring in advice from countries that have managed epidemics/pandemics in the past. Those places that had next to no decent medical facilities and been able to work with them.

Turbo, we don’t live in a perfect world, I just hope politicians have learnt something from all of this and I am sure the majority of the population has too.

I will say it again, IF I was able to fly my plane from my own private strip and return without landing anywhere else, I would do so and in the process harm nobody. IF there is a law that prevents that, it is stupid. How could anyone in their right mind support this instance of law?

• Like 1

As expected Virgin is now in voluntary administration with debts over $5 Billion and no cashflow. Even before the pandemic Virgin was barely able to service it's debt let alone do anything else. The pathetic posturing of QLD & NSW offering paltry amounts to get the HQ moved is the dumbest thing I've seen in ages given the current situation. What will Deloittes be able to do except shut most of it down. Hang on that's already happened. Bransen still owns 10%, Singapore, Etihad & the Chinese own the rest but won't put any money in though Branson reckons it will emerge as the phoenix. Sadly most employees are now on the dole.

What will the receivers do? Aircraft are currently unsaleable & when things do get better there will be a glut of them available. This will be interesting if somewhat sad to watch.

I guess the aircraft lease companies repo their aircraft as Virgin never owned them. Virgin may own a handful of planes that simply get sold off if liquidation goes ahead, like it might.

Health Ministers rely on advice.

Correct; in fact Health Ministers have had more of an administrative role in the current State of Eemergency, since they key action decisions are being made by the State/Territory Chief Health Officers and the Commonwealth's Chief Medical Officer most of whom are Professors (people with the highest qualifications and experience in the field.

The Health Ministers have been taking advice from them and in some cases enacting or de-activating legislation to match what the CHO?CMO needs.

It has been a very successful partnership in Australia.

I

Its hard to conform with what many see as idiocy, regardless of wether it’s law or not. Health Ministers rely on advice, not personal knowledge and who knows the quality of their advisors, many of who are university educated Millennials with very little, if any of life’s experiences.

Yes, there are many well qualified medical people who mainly have only worked in the confines of a medical facility. You want good advice? Bring in advice from countries that have managed epidemics/pandemics in the past. Those places that had next to no decent medical facilities and been able to work with them.

Turbo, we don’t live in a perfect world, I just hope politicians have learnt something from all of this and I am sure the majority of the population has too.

I will say it again, IF I was able to fly my plane from my own private strip and return without landing anywhere else, I would do so and in the process harm nobody. IF there is a law that prevents that, it is stupid. How could anyone in their right mind support this instance of law?

I went out and flew three circuits this morning, as indeed I also did on Friday. I live 10km from the airfield and once again drove solo, interacting with no one, flew three socially isolated solo circuits and returned home. Flying schools are still legitimately flying, how do you socially isolate two pilots in a C172? as evidenced by a couple of school aircraft from Toowoomba or Gold Coast? so where is the problem with solo circuits? Weekdays I pretty much guarantee no one else on the airfield!

• Like 3

My understanding of the law (could be wrong as I’m sure someone will tell me if I am!) is that a proposed piece of legislation has to be tabled in parliament in the lower house, if it passes it must then pass the senate and if that all happens it has then to be enacted. If that is correct then these measures, however sensible, are rules rather than laws?

I went out and flew three circuits this morning, as indeed I also did on Friday. I live 10km from the airfield and once again drove solo, interacting with no one, flew three socially isolated solo circuits and returned home. Flying schools are still legitimately flying, how do you socially isolate two pilots in a C172? as evidenced by a couple of school aircraft from Toowoomba or Gold Coast? so where is the problem with solo circuits? Weekdays I pretty much guarantee no one else on the airfield!

You can see what the other person is doing wrong; but you're breaking the department's list of approved actions so you have to take whatever consequences occur.

My aeroplane is VH registered and I am pretty sure that CASA stipulates that if an engine is going to be idle for more than 30 days it must be inhibited, therefore running the engine can be considered essential!

My understanding of the law (could be wrong as I’m sure someone will tell me if I am!) is that a proposed piece of legislation has to be tabled in parliament in the lower house, if it passes it must then pass the senate and if that all happens it has then to be enacted. If that is correct then these measures, however sensible, are rules rather than laws?

That would be the normal case in normal times, but a State of Emergemcy was declared in Queensland.

A State of Emergency allows certain individuals to take over in order to minimise injuries and deaths, and they take over from both State Governments and the Federal Government.

I previously mentioned that I wrote top CASA and received advice that the appropriate emergency people were in charge currently.

When a State of Emergency is revoked, control passes back to the elected government.

In the meantime the Chief Health officer [and not the Minister for Health, or one of his staff or an ABC journaists] is in charge and has issued a list of approved actions.

Best go on the Queensland Health site and take a look at the list, then you will know 100% yourself.

That would be the normal case in normal times, but a State of Emergemcy was declared in Queensland.

A State of Emergency allows certain individuals to take over in order to minimise injuries and deaths, and they take over from both State Governments and the Federal Government.

I previously mentioned that I wrote top CASA and received advice that the appropriate emergency people were in charge currently.

When a State of Emergency is revoked, control passes back to the elected government.

In the meantime the Chief Health officer [and not the Minister for Health, or one of his staff or an ABC journaists] is in charge and has issued a list of approved actions.

Best go on the Queensland Health site and take a look at the list, then you will know 100% yourself.

Mate I will continue to act sensibly as indeed our local police force are also doing, if it gets to be a problem I will worry about it then! One thing for sure, I am glad I don’t live in a big city nor in Victoria or SA!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

My aeroplane is VH registered and I am pretty sure that CASA stipulates that if an engine is going to be idle for more than 30 days it must be inhibited, therefore running the engine can be considered essential!

Essential has a different meaning under State of Emergency. The details are on the Qld Health site.

Mate I will continue to act sensibly as indeed our local police force are also doing, if it gets to be a problem I will worry about it then! One thing for sure, I am glad I don’t live in a big city nor in Victoria or SA!

This disease moves with people. Just think about the small party in northern Tasmania, where, from memory six people became positive and knocked out two hospitals and re-ignited the spread. A similar situation was caused in the South east of SA where a group of tourists moved through, infecting people in Mount Gambier, Tantanoola, Penola, Coonawarra and Bordertown on the way to contaminating a large group in the Baroossa Valley. Luckily all have survived and the districts are clean again.

This disease moves with people. Just think about the small party in northern Tasmania, where, from memory six people became positive and knocked out two hospitals and re-ignited the spread. A similar situation was caused in the South east of SA where a group of tourists moved through, infecting people in Mount Gambier, Tantanoola, Penola, Coonawarra and Bordertown on the way to contaminating a large group in the Baroossa Valley. Luckily all have survived and the districts are clean again.

No argument on that one, only as I say, absolutely no interaction with people where I fly!

• Like 1

Correct; in fact Health Ministers have had more of an administrative role in the current State of Eemergency, since they key action decisions are being made by the State/Territory Chief Health Officers and the Commonwealth's Chief Medical Officer most of whom are Professors (people with the highest qualifications and experience in the field.

The Health Ministers have been taking advice from them and in some cases enacting or de-activating legislation to match what the CHO?CMO needs.

It has been a very successful partnership in Australia.

I don’t call some 20 dead off one cruise ship a success, ALL those cruise ships should have anchored off Christmas Island and a full blown Corona Virus treatment hospital set up there. I, like many others would not have to look hard to have improved the handling of the current situation In many ways.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I don’t call some 20 dead off one cruise ship a success, ALL those cruise ships should have anchored off Christmas Island and a full blown Corona Virus treatment hospital set up there. I, like many others would not have to look hard to have improved the handling of the current situation In many ways.

Too true now we are ALL paying for it with a country now in ruin!

One thing's for sure. Both flying and ship cruising will never be the same, and probably never return to what they were.

For flying, you can look forward to much less by way of airline choices, higher airfares, more intensive health checks prior to boarding, less flying "perks", and more immigration and travel restrictions overall.

The only upside for the immediate future is cheap fuel.

As for ship cruising - I don't know how the ship owners will ever entice anyone onto a cruise ship again. There will be a lot of cruise line bankruptcies, along with travel agents, tour operators, charter bus lines, and even tourist resorts.

Maybe a heap of cheap aircraft will lead to a large increase in air freight capacity and cheaper air freight. I reckon the freight conversion businesses must be rubbing their hands.

• Like 2

Plenty of people out flying under the guise of maint flights, owners are responsible for keeping the A/C airworthy, I support their actions using common sense! After that you can go play golf, go fishing but NOT in Vic, you are a criminal, go figure??