Sav into water at Conway beach Qld on 13 November 2022 crew ok.

17 minutes ago, facthunter said:

They probably should be. You'd really have to know what you are doing with salt immersion. If you haven't worked in that environment you won't know how destructive it is..  Nev

certainly have, when you own moored boats you learn a lot about corrosion.

• Like 1

They are built for the environment the operate in  and still have issues, but an Ultra light is not. Have you worked on or operated seaplanes or talked to people who have?  I've worked on Army Ducks when they were operated by the army and they are constant maintenance. Nev

• Like 1

1 minute ago, facthunter said:

They are built for the environment the operate in  and still have issues, but an Ultra light is not. Have you worked on or operated seaplanes or talked to people who have?  I've worked on Army Ducks when they were operated by the army and they are constant maintenance. Nev

no but fighting the sea is a never ending battle with a boat just like anything in salt water. 

one mine i worked on nw of kalgoorlie had borewater 7 times saltier than the ocean, a 316 stainless pump would run about 3 months until it corroded away.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Yes a bit of WD-40 doesn't do much. Banner towing over the beaches rusts the fins off steel cylinders and don't mention the pure magnesium accessory box casings.. Mooney wing spars are magnesium. A rusted in spark plug often needs a POT changed. That's why planes are stored in Deserts. Nev

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Yes a bit of WD-40 doesn't do much. Banner towing over the beaches rusts the fins off steel cylinders and don't mention the pure magnesium accessory box casings.. Mooney wing spars are magnesium. A rusted in spark plug often needs a POT changed. That's why planes are stored in Deserts. Nev

i was joking about the wd40 😃

• Like 1

I don't mind, Better than nothing. I used to wonder how you would get studs and nuts in badly rusted condition out of the old Marine engines and Now It's a piece of cake (relatively) Blocks that run sea water direct are short lived. I'd prefer a heat exchanger. Bore water in farm tractors is deadly too as is cow poop to tractor mudguard stays and Holden ute front mudguards. Nev

• Like 2

Heat exchangers are great until a coolant component fails. its both a selling point of Seadoo, and a reason to avoid them.
there is a reason all of my Jet-ski's are strictly fresh water use only.

Edited by spenaroo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Liquid/Liquid heat exchangers can be rugged and compact. Plenty using the sea water are overcooled and rely on anodes which actually work well for the innards. It doesn't help the exhaust valves of 4 stroke outboards.  Nev

18 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Liquid/Liquid heat exchangers can be rugged and compact. Plenty using the sea water are overcooled and rely on anodes which actually work well for the innards. It doesn't help the exhaust valves of 4 stroke outboards.  Nev

Volvo AQAD 40 heat exchangers are a pain 😞 

How long will your motor last if you run seawater through the Jackets' They are not the cast iron thick walled motors of old.. If the head bolts go through to the water you'll never undo them without ruining the thread and even splitting the "boss" it's in..  Nev

On 13/11/2022 at 5:31 PM, Blueadventures said:

A Sav hit the water off Conway beach, Proserpine river North Queensland.  Both occupants are ok and uninjured.  

No further accurate details available for publication. at this time   

Any more word on the immersed Savannah

• Like 1