RAA Member newsletter April 2023

trailer

Overtones of the South Korean parliament? Seems like they prefer to regularly revert to a bit of biffo, rather than civilised discussion. I guess that's where a good umpire comes in.

1 hour ago, onetrack said:

Overtones of the South Korean parliament? Seems like they prefer to regularly revert to a bit of biffo, rather than civilised discussion. I guess that's where a good umpire comes in.

Fortunately there was only ever the one out of 35 Clubs and Associations in Victoria; plenty of complicated debates though but very little negativity.

• Informative 1

On 10/04/2023 at 11:59 AM, jackc said:

Self compliance is up to the aircraft owner/pilot themselves?  Being a realist, who is going to catch people breaking rules anyway?  ONLY if something comes to light by way of an in incident OR someone snitches on the rule breaker?

We live in a totally imperfect World and Aviation is no exception.  Anyone with any brains looks at what rule they are breaking and determines if it compromises safety and breaking it cannot have a bad outcome.  

we are old enough and ugly enough to look after ourselves. if your flying in remote areas and not carrying passengers who are we going to hurt.   

1 hour ago, turboplanner said:

Fortunately there was only ever the one out of 35 Clubs and Associations in Victoria; plenty of complicated debates though but very little negativity.

what clubs are you talking about. aeroclubs, soccer clubs , vfl ?

11 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

we are old enough and ugly enough to look after ourselves. if your flying in remote areas and not carrying passengers who are we going to hurt.   

I wanted to take the original AUF rules  and lobby RAA to allow operations in designated remote locations using the FAA FAR Part 103 regulations as a guide.  
I don't care what dissenters say, as they wont be personally be affected. They are not forced to participate.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jackc said:

maybe the only way to get part 103 passed is to let raaus charge an annual fee of some sort. i have heard that they are opposed to it because they will lose revenue.  there would be very few part 103 aircraft in raaus anyway so you would not think there would be a mass exodus.

Just now, BrendAn said:

maybe the only way to get part 103 passed is to let raaus charge an annual fee of some sort. i have heard that they are opposed to it because they will lose revenue.  there would be very few part 103 aircraft in raaus anyway so you would not think there would be a mass exodus.

You would count the number of people on 2 hands, but it could seed people to want more…….a possible boost in Aviation? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jackc said:

You would count the number of people on 2 hands, but it could seed people to want more…….a possible boost in Aviation? 

yes i can see that. the freedom and economics make it very attractive. 

• Like 1

RAAus wont see it that way,  They would argue no safety, loss of admin control, loss of membership money.  
They would cringe over someone unlicenced, possibly not trained, swooping around at 500-1000 feet in the middle of nowhere.

Flying night VFR at midnight, on a full moon 🙂 

The ‘Catch Me IF You Can Airforce’ That has  a ring to it 🙂 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, jackc said:

Oskosh has even set aside a 900ft runway for FAR Part 103 aircraft to fly in to Air Adventure 2023.

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-fly-in-flying-to-oshkosh/ultralight-arrivals

Will have to check it out. RFguy and I are going this year, another bucket list item done. The Thruster T500 that I have owned since '90 was demonstrated at oshkosh in '88.

On 8/6/2023 at 8:11 PM, jackc said:

RAAus wont see it that way,  They would argue no safety, loss of admin control, loss of membership money.  
They would cringe over someone unlicenced, possibly not trained, swooping around at 500-1000 feet in the middle of nowhere.

Flying night VFR at midnight, on a full moon 🙂 

The ‘Catch Me IF You Can Airforce’ That has  a ring to it 🙂 

you do realise that the RAA don’t make the laws don’t you? They just administer a few things on behalf of the law maker (CASA). From my interactions with the staff at RAA, I would say that they just want people to be able to fly their planes. The reality is that with their legal obligations under Part 149 they have the requirement to do what they can to make sure we operate compliantly. 

this is supposed to be a fun activity but I have to say reading the tripe on here I wonder why I bother anymore. Get over yourselves and just enjoy what we have. 

• Informative 1
  • Caution 1

6 hours ago, Flying_higher said:

you do realise that the RAA don’t make the laws don’t you? They just administer a few things on behalf of the law maker (CASA). From my interactions with the staff at RAA, I would say that they just want people to be able to fly their planes. The reality is that with their legal obligations under Part 149 they have the requirement to do what they can to make sure we operate compliantly. 

this is supposed to be a fun activity but I have to say reading the tripe on here I wonder why I bother anymore. Get over yourselves and just enjoy what we have. 

Good points; they give themselves away by not remembering their narrative though.

• Like 1

Whats wrong with wanting what we once had, back?  The US have the Part 103 segment which is similar to what AUF was.

People would argue that the string bag airframes of the past fell out of the sky everywhere, and they were right.  Airframes and engines have come along was since those days.

RAA would probably never support the Part 103 US regime?  Nor make any supporting submissions to CASA on it.  
But, we must understand that many of the people in Australia have got no drive to change anything, they just suck it up and whinge, how sad.  Well, I dont and remember back to the days of CB……I was a pirate and got chased by the DOC and busted, the DOC charged me and 1 charge was under the Crimes Act 1914 and thats  possible jail time.

I defended myself and got off all charges.  Because many people operated illegally it was decided to legalise CB and the rest is history.  I went on to found my own business on the CB industry and lasted the rest of my working life for 30 years working for myself.  I don't give in easily 🙂  But its hard in a rising Snowflake World 😞 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

Will have to check it out. RFguy and I are going this year, another bucket list item done. The Thruster T500 that I have owned since '90 was demonstrated at oshkosh in '88.

We need a clandestine Part 103 report on your return, don't want to upset the Aviation Snowflakes, do we 🙂 🙂 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, turboplanner said:

Good points; they give themselves away by not remembering their narrative though.

You take every chance you get to put others down don't you. Are you and flying higher brothers

7 hours ago, jackc said:

People who are different will always have dissenters 🙂

Well if they aren't interested in part 103 they don't need to be having a go at people who are. No one said it was an raaus decision.  But casa are never going to pass it if raaus aren't on board. 

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  i have been in contact with a few manufacturers and received invitations to visit. 
I almost think its worth following up.   Go over to the US (been there on business about 6 times in my day job life) check out and do some Part 103 training/flying.  I know I can get container space, because I have been offered by someone here in Australia,

Buy one while there 🙂  Probably secure a dealership if I wanted,  order a few kits etc.   Unfortunately I am too old to set that up and then defend myself in an Aviation Regulatory War. Not illegal to buy, just illegal to fly……right now.

Illegal to me, is a sick bird 🙂   

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, facthunter said:

CASA is much of a "Dead Hand" on aviation. If we followed what USA does Aviation wise we wouldn't go too far wrong. Nev

Both CASA and FAA are moving towards ICAO standards.

What is the current RAA equivalent or nearest aircraft to FAR 103?

Members,

JackC has created a new thread to enable the discussion of the introduction of Part 103. Perhaps going there will allow the return of discussion here to the original point raised.

• Like 1