Cessna flips on landing Essendon 17-05-23

Cessna 172 VH-WDA flew from Bacchus Marsh to Essendon, and touched down on runway 26 whereupon it flipped onto its roof. The pilot is reported to be uninjured.

IMG_1040.JPG.5ab67fa9077d17be0bcbf15c5236f687.JPGIMG_1041.thumb.JPG.ce74aa35a444006e649efff72ecd0185.JPG

5 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Booo! 😉

Cessna's a great aircraft..

Jerry, I don't think Onetrack was suggesting otherwise; only that the daily news can be trusted to get the "Cessna" part of the story right this time. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

On 18/5/2023 at 7:16 AM, Jerry_Atrick said:

Booo! 😉

Cessna's a great aircraft..

No argument there, but I think the comment refers to the media habit of calling anything a Cessna!!!

56 minutes ago, derekliston said:

See onetrack amongst others above in this post!

I'm seeing a load of BS being repeated over and over again through the years without sources. 

Journalists go to the secene and inteview the people there; Police, Ambulance, Fire personnel etc. The Journalist asks questions "What happened?, Are the occupants OK, what is the injury level, what sort of aircraft is it?  Usually none of the aeronautical experts have shown up to give the correct information, so the journalist has to file the story with the descriptions of Police/Ambulance/Fire personnel free from the rescue.  The story needs to be about 20 < 50 words for a local incident and these days is put to air instantly, updating the News site without Editing, unless there is a controversial comment (s).

While it might be important to some people for the Make, Model, Year, and registration type of a crashed aircraft to be included in the news that they whine like broken records on social media, those same people don't bother to comment when the make, model, year and variant is not mentioned in a car crash report,  or when there's a building on fire don't mention that the building failed the last five fire inspections because it is build from [choose your fire prone material] etc.

Journalists still have to do five years of University study to get their degree, and if anyone cares to email and ask a jouranists why he/she called a Tobago a Cessna, the journalist will usually go to their source notes which are kept, read back and tell you The Name, Rank, Service of the person interviewed who provided the information.

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

On 18/05/2023 at 10:09 AM, facthunter said:

Could be a worn brake pad on one side. I've had it happen in a 182.. Nev

An extremely close relative of mine  had an almost identical problem (except for flipping) at Redcliffe a few years ago. Gun barrel straight approach and landing, and then without warning, her 172 took a sharp dive to the left. Ozrunways track of her landing looks almost identical to the above Flightradar track... bloody gremlins

Edited by horsefeathers
clarification
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, horsefeathers said:

An extremely close relative of mine  had an almost identical problem (except for flipping) at Redcliffe a few years ago. Gun barrel straight approach and landing, and then without warning, her 172 took a sharp dive to the left. Ozrunways track of her landing looks almost identical to the above Flightradar track... bloody gremlins

Another possibility is a failure in the steering gear. Where the piper Cherokee system is direct, so steering starts as soon as you put your foot on the pedal, the 172 system incorporates springs. I find it slower and disconcerting. If the spring or linkage breaks on one side, the nose wheel will turn towards the other spring as it contracts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2

On 18/5/2023 at 1:21 PM, Garfly said:

Jerry, I don't think Onetrack was suggesting otherwise; only that the daily news can be trusted to get the "Cessna" part of the story right this time. 

Isn’t the old adage “ a broken clock is right twice a day”

• Like 1

On 23/05/2023 at 11:01 AM, facthunter said:

If I had my way it would only be correct ONCE a day. Nev

Here ya go! 

image.thumb.png.137f48a2b4139e13f93cb08e281dc133.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

But , you are out of luck ! .

Metric time is !

Ten metric months   = Deci-years

Of