Zongshen cd 100 /912 clone

BrendAn

27 minutes ago, danny_galaga said:

Just watched the other video where the American importer is interviewed. Interesting to note ZD first market for their 912 was the UAV market, my thoughts on Ukraine have a precedent 😄

You don't need a 2,000 hour TBO if the majority of engines make one flight in the general direction of Russia.

• Like 1

You can't just pull a TBO out of thin air.. 10 hours at full throttle would be enough for a drone . You can fit them loose so they have no chance of a bearing or piston seizing  A stroke would be good enough.Nev

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, Marty_d said:

You don't need a 2,000 hour TBO if the majority of engines make one flight in the general direction of Russia.

Actually, UAVs need to be as reliable as a regular aircraft. We often think of suicide drones. But most of those are quite small. Don't think of the shahad or whatever, think of craft like the Reaper. If course a Reaper is quite a large machine with a turboprop capable of carrying missiles, but a lot of UAVs are just for surveillance. Stay aloft for say 6-10 hours. Sending Intel, guiding strikes etc. Then back to base, refuel and off again. They would rack up thousands of hours pretty quickly. 

It's made me think these ZD engines are going to be quite reliable. I mean, if you sell dud products to the People's Army...

• Like 1

Some Race Car engines were designed for 3,000 Kms. Big trucks for much longer. What's  t he point of even a 500 hour drone engine. It could be designed for a never to be rebuilt situation  saving weight and cost.  Nev

As Danny points out there's drones and drones.  What I was very tongue-in-cheek referring to is a Foxbat filled with explosives which is only required to do one flight.  However for the loitering/missile-carrying ones you need reliability over many hours.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Some Race Car engines were designed for 3,000 Kms. Big trucks for much longer. What's  t he point of even a 500 hour drone engine. It could be designed for a never to be rebuilt situation  saving weight and cost.  Nev

Cummins developed Military Spec 850hp V903 engines that had 100 hours TBO.

Same basic block was in my W900 series Kenworth 320hp 

IMG_1557.jpeg

• Informative 1

I like outback community tbo standards... when it rolls over or hits a stump too many times the government sends out a replacement unit..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jackc said:

Cummins developed Military Spec 850hp V903 engines that had 100 hours TBO.

Same basic block was in my W900 series Kenworth 320hp 

IMG_1557.jpeg

they also had an 1100 hp 903 that was rated for 24 hrs service at military power. flat stick i guess that means.

42 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

they also had an 1100 hp 903 that was rated for 24 hrs service at military power. flat stick i guess that means.

Did not see that one, I bought a set of 903 series manuals from the U.S. when I got my truck.

We had the earlier 855 Series 300hp V8 in our Army 5t LARC V. Landing Craft

22 minutes ago, jackc said:

Did not see that one, I bought a set of 903 series manuals from the U.S. when I got my truck.

We had the earlier 855 Series 300hp V8 in our Army 5t LARC V. Landing Craft

they were in army tracked vehicles in the us army. don't know what ones though.

• 2 weeks later...

The Zongshen people got back to me with some current pricing inc a special discount for OZ seeing there is no dealer here.

Basically about 22k aussie then of course there is freight and all the associated dock crap and fees etc etc etc so add about 3k at least for that then slap on 10% for the GST and you end up about $27 to 28K...so about 10k less than here which is what I think I said earlier in this thread

• Informative 4

Mark was that seafreight or airfreight ? as u'd know, at that size, single shipment, airfreight rules... bring 10 of them, that would be a different story.

Hangar 14 Youtube channel is run by KFA in South Africa. KFA have a turbo upgrade they use over there and it seems they have decided to go full on with the Zongshen engines and they have released 2 new videos recently. The latest one this morning is fitting their turbo conversion kit to the 100hp engine. This gives 135hp similar to Norways engine.

KFA produce Kitfox derived aricraft like the Safari. these are quite popular due to the cost being cheaper than the Kitfox and some say are a better kit.

Just thought I would put this out there if anyone hadnt seen it 

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

KFA website is slow..price for built engine is about 50k plus shipping etc..so thats from the website. Maybe better to just buy the kit and do it yourself. Couldnt find the price of the kit. The guy in melbourne has a good rep for his turbo conversion for a std 912ULS. Currently a Searay from our airfield at YCAB is circumnavigating australia with a rebuilt out of time engine and his turbo kit fitted. They are midway up the WA coast now so half way around OZ and no issues with the engine. David Geers is also running a 4 blade Eprop...

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, facthunter said:

Well presented?? There was nothing in it of substance. Braised muffler ? How long do you think that will last??  Nev

braised steak doesn't last long in our house😁

Edited by BrendAn
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

Be  serious sometimes. Nev

i didn't realise you were the only one allowed to be funny. i will ask your permission next time.

• Haha 2