Zongshen cd 100 /912 clone

BrendAn

Maybe for trucks but  a stressed body HAS to be the answer for safety and  lightness. Conventional chassis's TWIST easily.   If you prang you have to straighten BOTH and then fit them together.  Nev

On 17/07/2023 at 5:56 PM, BrendAn said:

one of the most comfortable cars i ever had was an old renault, can't remember what the model name was. had a 1.8 lt motor and 4 speed on the tree. softest ride and the bucket seats layed flat for sleeping.

That would of been the renault 18; yes 15,21 also a great car; better still and best all-round car ever experienced has been the peugeot fuel injected 404gt; thing did 180kmh effortlessly and felt like it just glided silently over rough outback roads; handled really well and was also amazing on fuel

• Like 4
  • Informative 1

Injection was on some small ' two cylinder, German,  ,water-cooled- two-strokes ' .

Possibly the forerunner of " Rotax " as it looked the same , a little under 600 cc.

And with separate oil Injection  , just like Rotax 582 is today .

spacesailor

• Like 1

Japanese 2 stroke motor cycles have had oil pumps since the 60's that add "metered" lube oil near the intake port(s) or direct to the big ends on some Suzuki's.  This is not what I'm referring to on the Peugeot 404 and not a lot of them had it here.. They were built/ assembled in Victoria by the CANADA Cycle & Motor Co but occasionally fully imported ones turned up. They had "nice" things like stainless Grilles Bumpers and hub caps

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, onetrack said:

Is he flying without an engine cowling so he can see which cylinder blows apart first? I can't imagine what no cowling is doing for his engine cooling.

It's a 912 . Water cooled. 

49 minutes ago, onetrack said:

Is he flying without an engine cowling so he can see which cylinder blows apart first? I can't imagine what no cowling is doing for his engine cooling.

There are thruster t600 s. Xairs. Drifters .gyros. trikes. That have uncowled  912 engines.

11 hours ago, onetrack said:

Mostly lazy I recon.  Plus, any fuel leak, e.g. carb bowl overflow, would do wonders for the windscreen.  For me; better viewing muted.

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Like 1

There are numerous examples of cowlings being damaged after destructive engine failure of a twin severely degrading the performance of the Plane subsequently to well below that with just a normal engine shutdown and requiring careful planning of the powered descent and with NO go around capability.. Flying with the cowl missing would never be better than with it on... Nev.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 11/7/2023 at 6:21 PM, FlyBoy1960 said:

There was never any legal action by the importer to the RAA, never ever.

It was not a Pipistrel Sinus but a TL-Ultralight Sting.

The failure of the crank came because the then owner flew the plane for > 6 months with a spinner he fitted and drilled by hand !

Apparently the vibration was so bad he got numb feet after 10 minutes but he kept on flying. He did this for more than 6 months.

All this came to light after the coroners inquest when the full document package was available, which included the owners maintenance records that were not presented in court.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story !

For what it is worth, I fitted and drilled the spinner on my Jabiru engined CH701. Nothing wrong with that! It comes down to the skill of the operator.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 4:52 PM, kgwilson said:

I don't know the details but a Sling had an Engine failure and landed on Sapphire beach near Coffs a few weeks ago. My understanding is that there was a failure in the valve train somewhere which caused a piston to disintegrate, bending a conrod and crankshaft and distorting the crankcase. There is no coming back from that sort of catastrophic failure. I'd be interested to find out the details, anyone?

Not on s Rotax!!!!! Horror of horrors!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blueadventures said:

Mostly lazy I recon.  Plus, any fuel leak, e.g. carb bowl overflow, would do wonders for the windscreen.  For me; better viewing muted.

he said the cowl was on order and hadn't arrived yet. you might have heard that if it wasn't muted😁.   in the xair or thruster you have a pair of bing 54 s above the windscreen with no cowling.

• Informative 1

I'm pretty sure the 80HP 912 is by some margin the most reliable of all the variants. The 916 has only just been released but doubling the HP from 80 to 160 from the original 1352cc engine with injection and turbocharging must have some effect on its reliability. I do note that the 160HP is only available for takeoff & there is 137HP available for continuous operation.

They do manage to crank out 200 to 250 or more HP from Hot hatches with 1.6 to 2.5 litre engines and they are ridiculously expensive. No idea about reliability though.

• Like 2

KG they are putting all their money on the ONE horse. Time will  tell. . Anyone can get more power out of something . Just supercharge if, but you have extra heat and loads. Aircraft engines are built LIGHT as it sells. Who wants a Gardiner Diesel Powered Plane?  IF it goes 5000 hours its too heavy. This does not apply to Jets which may go 10,000 hours in some cases. nev