Zongshen cd 100 /912 clone

BrendAn

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

I.ve worked on SP 250's It always looked like a prototype. Pipes everywhere  and based on Triumph twin dimensions/parts. Pushrod motor.   Nev

Well, the Pug original donk was pushrod, and there was room for the pipes!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, facthunter said:

I know I  even moved the spark plugs off centre to get bigger valves on one engine. The block is too weak.  Nev

I'm not sure the little Pugs 9203/403) were meant to be platforms for racing; not like the awe-inspiring power and traintrack handling of the Fiat 850 Coupe! (not the Sports; that was just too much...)

BTW, if you repositioned plugs then you are a grade A mechanical masochist, and i dips me lid (backs away cautiously)...

• Like 2

I did an Abarth based 750 Fiat motor which did 100 mph  in a Fiat. 600 body. 10,000 RPM. Never blew up. Plenty of rear axle tramp. Yes ALL a waste of time and energy but when you're Young SPEED is king. The 203.  kept twisting axles off. I broke about 7 in total. It did a genuine 117 Mph from 1 and a 1/2 litres om pump fuel.. I detuned it and got the Fiat as a trade in on it..  Nev

• Informative 2
  • Winner 2

Just because I was a glutton for Punishment I built a total of three 203 specials concentrating on better crankshaft balancing by increasing the size of the bolt on Counterweights. The last one I sold to a TAA Captain in the early 70's. . It was my go to work vehicle. Nev

• Informative 1

• 4 months later...

That one in the zenith has passed 50 hrs now and seems to be performing really well. Nothing has fallen to bits yet.

• Informative 1

On 08/04/2024 at 10:10 AM, Garfly said:

This is the vid about the Zenith 701 guy in Canada who's first to fly behind a ZD in North America.

(Engine discussion starts in earnest at 09:23 and goes for about 4 mins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EviMc7UtueY

I quite often don't have the time to look at long videos, but I watched the whole thing. Really nice to see those sorts of videos. I enjoyed every minute 🙂

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, danny_galaga said:

I quite often don't have the time to look at long videos, but I watched the whole thing. Really nice to see those sorts of videos. I enjoyed every minute 🙂

if that engine keeps going the way it is it will be a good alternative to rotax prices.

• Like 1

Jokes aside, you may have seen that the Ukrainians converted an Aeroprakt Foxbat into a giant suicide drone and attacked a drone (😂) factory deep into Russian territory. Bombardier have said not too long ago they don't want their Rotax engines in military aircraft. The ZD would be a brilliant alternative if they are going to make more drones out of Foxbats. And cheaper too. If it's going to be blown up anyway, why pay more than you have to?

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 1

18 hours ago, FlyBoy1960 said:

this was hardly a big explosion, I think you could fit a lot more Ordinance or even drums of fuel inside the aircraft if you want to.

Remember that it's an ultralight. With full fuel maybe it can carry two hundred kilos of people. If you have no people to fly it, you have to fill it full of stuff to make it fly.

Have a look at the system in this Cessna. It does not look light. Assuming you still have 100kg to play with, that would be in the ballpark of people saying it looked like a 50kg plastics explosion. Hard to know how the environment around the explosion affects our view of it. For instance if the plane went through a wall, concrete roofs may have suppressed the fireball. You can bet the Ukrainians (who know what they loaded the plane up with) are very carefully analysing every shred of info they can get. Even in that footage they can count all the smashed windows (sadly I believe the drone didn't hit the factory but the dormitories next to it) and get an estimate of the force. That's just the footage we see right now. They'll be trawling through eyewitness accounts, all footage available etc. even looking at the mushroom cloud is going to tell them something.

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/cessna-turned-drone-foreshadows-future-unmanned-opportunities/

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kyle Communications said:

They are not that much cheaper than a rotax though....if they were 10k cheaper then ok but they are only about 5k cheaper

i think that bloke in canada got his for half the price of a 912, may have got a real good deal too, for advertising. 

even so ,if they prove to be as good as a rotax i would buy one if it left 5000 in my pocket. only time will tell.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kyle Communications said:

The USA and Canada agent has pricing on the website and its only a couple of thousand less in the USA than a genuine rotax

matt did mention the price he paid in one of the videos and it was a lot less. but like i said, maybe he got an extra good deal.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Kyle Communications said:

26k US$ is about 38K aussie.....the rotax here is about the same price now

do you seriously think they would ask the same price as rotax.  they only cost about 12k au landed here from what i have heard. 38 would be a good markup.

if they do ask rotax price they will never sell an engine .

Edited by BrendAn
  • Agree 1