Zongshen cd 100 /912 clone

BrendAn

Just now, BrendAn said:

image.jpeg.5c206e018cb4a936cec67313ada32b32.jpeg

aircams have 2 912 rotax with no cowlings. built for flying over jungle. that would mean it really is tiger country.

Just now, derekliston said:

Just looked it up, N420AF i think, so not that one!

you would think they would be an extremely safe machine. looks like a drifter on steroids.

More power from a given swept volume/capacity does not necessarily mean less durability/reliability.

If you take an existing engine & "hot" it up you will likely reduce its service life & reliability. The engine was not designed to deliver the higher level of output and is likely to have a reduced service life.

If you design an engine from scratch, to accomodate a given rpm/power output, there is no reason why it can not be as durable/ reliable as any other engine

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, kgwilson said:

If those are Rotax 912 ULS engines they'd be worth twice as much as the rest of the aircraft I reckon.

914s on that one

18 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Yes I've seen those. Pushers and low speed, like trikes. They'd be set up appropriately as regards cooling... Nev

they don't use any ducting. probably don't need it up there.  the 912 cooling system is pretty good. you can lose all the coolant and fly home with reduced throttle. the cylinder fins dissipate enough heat to prevent damage to the heads.

On 24/07/2023 at 6:17 PM, facthunter said:

Japanese 2 stroke motor cycles have had oil pumps since the 60's that add "metered" lube oil near the intake port(s) or direct to the big ends on some Suzuki's.  This is not what I'm referring to on the Peugeot 404 and not a lot of them had it here.. They were built/ assembled in Victoria by the CANADA Cycle & Motor Co but occasionally fully imported ones turned up. They had "nice" things like stainless Grilles Bumpers and hub caps

Yes, 

Two grades of Pugsley 404 and 504, either CKD kits built on lines with other bad cars or the fully french version which are amazingly well built and vault like.

Had many 504 in family but best was blue one from France, a huge difference and same car still cruises the south coast after 50 years.

Incredibly comfortable and a superb ride.

Pugs won lots of rally and reliability trials like Redex. A 504 was everything a ford or Holden was not and very long lived simple motor- easy 500,000km if well treated. The Holden and Ford's of the time rarely did 100,000 before throwing a rod or been rebuilt.

The Commodores were quickish but poorly built even the last of them. In 2017 the final was only as good as a 1988 e34 BMW, The 1996 E39 was a massive leap. The bombodore rear  end was a poor copy of very old BMW tech.

Even worse the entire VR series had misaligned rear suspension from faulty jigs.Holden knew but refused to fix it until the VS came out with updated and new (  30 year old design) independent rear . 

VR models will kill you given a chance. They deliberately sold unsafe cars and got away with it. People died in accidents that should never have happened.

How do you know a Commodore is scared of trees?

They split in half just looking at a tree. 

No caring parent should ever let their kids drive a Commodore. The V8 utes are perfect to quickly carry a huge ego to a fast grave, aka the tradie killer. They make a valiant charger seem stable and safe.

Reliable? There is a reason no cabbie ever kept a commode long term.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I had a few 203's  after Ken Tubmans Redex  round australia win in 53. One I prepared for appendix J saloon car  races. It would do 117 MPH with a 1&1/2 litre motor 1498 ccs. Then they just changed the formula. Good OL CAMS but I was flying anyhow and car race people are notorious for not paying TILL "after I get back from Bathurst" etc and of course they Prang don't they and you get no money. Horse People are similar. .It all Goes on the Neddy's.. Barstewards. & thieves   Nev 

• Haha 1
  • Winner 1

36 minutes ago, Litespeed said:

Yes, 

Two grades of Pugsley 404 and 504, either CKD kits built on lines with other bad cars or the fully french version which are amazingly well built and vault like.

Had many 504 in family but best was blue one from France, a huge difference and same car still cruises the south coast after 50 years.

Incredibly comfortable and a superb ride.

Pugs won lots of rally and reliability trials like Redex. A 504 was everything a ford or Holden was not and very long lived simple motor- easy 500,000km if well treated. The Holden and Ford's of the time rarely did 100,000 before throwing a rod or been rebuilt.

The Commodores were quickish but poorly built even the last of them. In 2017 the final was only as good as a 1988 e34 BMW, The 1996 E39 was a massive leap. The bombodore rear  end was a poor copy of very old BMW tech.

Even worse the entire VR series had misaligned rear suspension from faulty jigs.Holden knew but refused to fix it until the VS came out with updated and new (  30 year old design) independent rear . 

VR models will kill you given a chance. They deliberately sold unsafe cars and got away with it. People died in accidents that should never have happened.

How do you know a Commodore is scared of trees?

They split in half just looking at a tree. 

No caring parent should ever let their kids drive a Commodore. The V8 utes are perfect to quickly carry a huge ego to a fast grave, aka the tradie killer. They make a valiant charger seem stable and safe.

Reliable? There is a reason no cabbie ever kept a commode long term.

i have a vf ss and its one of the best cars i have ever had. never a problem with it. son has the same with a walkinshaw upgrade. daughter has a ve sv6. all good reliable cars. and we had fords for years. love them too. ba gtp, ba xr8 and a bf gt, fantastic cars but the boss motors don't last like an ls chev.  

26 minutes ago, facthunter said:

I had a few 203's  after Ken Tubmans Redex  round australia win in 53. One I prepared for appendix J saloon car  races. It would do 117 MPH with a 1&1/2 litre motor 1498 ccs. Then they just changed the formula. Good OL CAMS but I was flying anyhow and car race people are notorious for not paying TILL "after I get back from Bathurst" etc and of course they Prang don't they and you get no money. Horse People are similar. .It all Goes on the Neddy's.. Barstewards. & thieves   Nev 

like yachtys, the winds free so everything else should be.

2 hours ago, facthunter said:

Good ol Cams will screw you if the local stuff gets beaten, they must maintain the V8 supercars myth.

Bring back grp A and C, actual cars not sillouttes

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 25/07/2023 at 10:32 PM, Litespeed said:

Good ol Cams will screw you if the local stuff gets beaten, they must maintain the V8 supercars myth.

Bring back grp A and C, actual cars not sillouttes

remember the ford sierra years in touring car racing. super quick but got no interest in australia because aussies are not interested in listening to 4 cylinders tearing around. people want to  hear v8s. thats how it has been since the late 60's. try and convince my wife that the touring car mustangs are fake, she just won't buy it and that probably goes for most of the fans except the die hard tech heads.  i would like to see bathurst go back to the win on sunday sell on monday days . the car you could buy was almost what was racing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On the track real cars you can buy, real racing.

Like 105 Alfas menacing ford GT's et al and Alan Jones showing em how it's done in the 2.5 V6 Alfa beating all but the fastest V8s to the flag at Bathurst. Real cars that can be driven hard all day long on road or track.

The euro cams equivalent hobbled the Alfa every year from 68-72 but could not stop it winning the euro touring cars five years in a row. Only stopped by opening the class to 3.0 litre to give the Capri and BMW CSL a chance.

A V6 504 would have been a dog given the PRV V6 shared with Volvo, not a lot of power for a lot of weight.

Supercars attempt to be fair and let others play was hobbled by rules to suit the locals, hence the fastest was the Volvo V8( designed by Yamaha) was rev and intake restricted to ensure failure.

A bit like racing Hussien Bolt after cutting one of his lungs out.

The Ron Harrop retirement funded by cams rules.

Bloody parochial aussies 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrendAn said:

remember the ford sierra years in touring car racing. super quick but got no interest in australia because aussies are not interested in listening to 4 cylinders tearing around. people want to  hear v8s. thats how it has been since the late 60's. try and convince my wife that the touring car mustangs are fake, she just won't buy it and that probably goes for most of the fans except the die hard tech heads.  i would like to see bathurst go back to the win on sunday sell on monday days . the car you could buy was almost what was racing.

I was one of those guys that jeered at the Sierras. Now I wish I could see such a wonderful mix of cars at Bathurst once more.

Even NASCAR is more interesting than Bathurst now. Sure, they all seem to be the same car too, but at least you get to see the whole race all at once. And all the crashes too.

Watch Talladega Nights. Fantastic footage as well as a great comedy. If I ever make my way back to NC I'll have to watch a race. 😎

• Like 1

• 4 months later...