Anyone built a Teenie Two?

I bought the plans from Calvin Parker back in 1987 and studied them for a long time. I also looked at a completed Teenie Two many years later (Caboolture). In the end, I concluded that the Teenie Two was easy enough to build but not an easy to fly plane due to the high wing loading (most T-2s end up much heavier than plans say). I have since started a Spacek SD-1 Minisport, similar size & peformance on 2/3 of the power and much lighter.

Check out the T-2 forum on groups.io, only forum left I  believe: https://groups.io/g/teenietwo/messages

I think there are better metal options with the Hummelbird or Minicoupe.

• Helpful 1

There was one in Perth when I was there in 1981 and more recently (1990s), Quentin Campbell built and flew one in Canberra.  I watched Quentin’s build and it was straightforward.  I never got a flight report from him on it though.

I have the plans for it and used a combination of it and the Hummelbirds plans to draw up a set of plans for a half sized Messerschmitt 109 replica.  I finished the fuselage and vertical before deciding I wanted it to look closer to the original than the replica that I was building.  What I can say about the construction technique which leant heavily on the T2 is that construction is simple and once you learn the basics, things can progress quickly.

• Helpful 1

Yes

The HB  is built with either the Learner's wheel at front or taildrager .

You can reverse the mains to the ' nose/tail ' wheel,  After you master take-off's & landings .

But

You need to rebuild the tail section for the strength & steering, 

then

Your C of G needs adjusting, it can be built FAT , TALL or even standard. LoL

Now going with a different motor a ' V twin predator 22 hp ' , than the Old VW .

spacesailor

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, spacesailor said:

The HB  is built with either the Learner's wheel at front or taildrager

In this world there are more learners then ,than arse draggers , 😴with comments like that !!

• Haha 1

I went and looked at the HB.  Plans are out of stock!  Why would this be?  Surely they only take a day to make.  Are they stopping offering these plans in preference to another aircraft in their line-up. 

I recall a guy Bob Hyman  (not sure of spelling maybe Hynam) build two.  One in Canada and one in Rockhampton; I watched its first flight and it went great.  Flight was at the Central Queensland Gliding Club.   He was an RAA instructor with a Drifter. sandman on this forum also had a drifter there and may have a contact for bob; send him a pm.

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Helpful 1

13 minutes ago, Geoff_H said:

Anything build will be VH, just don't have a ra licence. 

My free advice; do your sums before writing off RAA. There will be +/- on both sides,  you will need to arrive at the best solution for your proposed activity.

• Like 1

That will help. The RAAus document is a "Certificate". I like the Hummel. Good idea to see one" in the flesh" before committing.  Maybe an alternative motor to the Half VW . Balance and port location are not ideal.  Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Trouble Nev is my passport is out of date so I can't enter Victoria (lol).  Spacey lives only a handful of kilometres away from me.  I am hoping that he can put some light on the issue.   I think that the Hummel classic, which seems to be more relevant to me is being discontinued.   Very little seems available as the company appears to be heading in the direction for kits.

Just a suggestion, but if you are interested in a Hummel or a Teenie Two you might take a look at the Thatcher CX4. Easy enough to build, similar to a Teenie , but I think is nicer to fly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

This old builder has one AND a half Hummel Birds with plans 

I bought a kit HB & started to build a ' skinny ' one with solid rivets ,  but my hip replacement,  then a fall breaking my arm , stopped any work ( terrible four letter word ) , even my prop chopping stopped. I'm not certain if I will get to a ' working builder ' again , as everything is on top of me. I'm pushing 1 one kilo weight up by this damaged arm . To gain more strength. 

One kilogram.!  LoL

spacesailor