Anyone built a Teenie Two?

The Hummel aircraft is a derivation of the Windwagon and the Hummel.  The Windwagon has smaller chord wings, faster but not sure which wings would be better.   Any ideas on which to choose.  I Waa thinking of an industrial v, but again maybe the 1/2 vw would be best.  Any ideas.

Geoff

The 1/2 VW has plenty of shortcomings. There MUST be something better these days.   A V motor has better eveness of  piston inertia. The VW is a known entity but as a flat twin must be a rougher running thing. (Cylinder offset). . Some conversions use the original crankcase.   Nev

I used to hire 55cfm trailer-mounted Atlas-Copco air compressors, to operate jackhammers on rock drilling, that used a VW engine (I STR they called them VolksAir) - with two cylinders altered to pump air, while the remaining two cylinders ran as normal to drive the other two.

I cannot ever remember an engine so rough-running and unbalanced, I'm still amazed today, that the engines didn't fall out the trailers, they were that rough. And they were pri**s of things to start, too!

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Geoff 

Just a thought! .  IF you want to ' polish ' your Hummel , please try out your ' arm ' power on mine. LoL

How about a ' dark colour undersides ' with that sparklingly polished uppersides. 

Then when making your circuit those wings will flash a signal to all us ' wannabes ' waching ..

spacesailor

On 23/11/2023 at 7:50 PM, onetrack said:

I used to hire 55cfm trailer-mounted Atlas-Copco air compressors, to operate jackhammers on rock drilling, that used a VW engine (I STR they called them VolksAir) - with two cylinders altered to pump air, while the remaining two cylinders ran as normal to drive the other two.

I cannot ever remember an engine so rough-running and unbalanced, I'm still amazed today, that the engines didn't fall out the trailers, they were that rough. And they were pri**s of things to start, too!

same deal with booster compressors on rc drill rigs. used a 3208 cat and a 692 gm . 1 bank was compressor the other bank engine. they run like hairy goats but they take a 900cfm compressor from 350 psi to 900 cfm 1000 psi.

• Informative 1

There was some cast iron radial used for the same purpose. It's a ready available  convenient way of doing it without having to build 2  distinct units if you have separate heads. The firing order might be a bit "How's your Father" and it could do with a heavier flywheel.  Nev

The Ingersoll Rand Spot-Air is perhaps what Nev was referring to. 6 cyl vertical radial with 3 cylinders driving and 3 cylinders compressing.

You even started them with a rope wrapped around a pulley! - because they weren't fitted with a starter. The railways used them for tamping ballast.

• Helpful 1

• 1 month later...
On 13/11/2023 at 11:27 AM, Blueadventures said:

I recall a guy Bob Hyman  (not sure of spelling maybe Hynam) build two.  One in Canada and one in Rockhampton; I watched its first flight and it went great.  Flight was at the Central Queensland Gliding Club.   He was an RAA instructor with a Drifter. sandman on this forum also had a drifter there and may have a contact for bob; send him a pm.

I came across these images tonight.  The alloy and red one is the Teenie Two Bob built and its first flight at McMaster Field west of Rockhampton (my glider back then is in the background); it was the second he built the first he made in Canada.  The other if its a Teenie was at Ingham, Qld.

RAA search shows Bob 19-7319 is still in current rego so must be flying somewhere.

P1020969.JPG

P1020970.JPG

P1100790.JPG

P1100791.JPG

P1020974.JPG

P1020975.JPG

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1