Jump to content

Paraglider crashes into paddock at Elphinstone in central Victoria 10/06/24


Recommended Posts

Two people have been taken to hospital after a paraglider crash near Elphinstone, in central Victoria.

The powered aircraft came down into a paddock on Potts Road just after 11am.

 

Victoria Police said a 70-year-old man from Chadstone and 69-year-old woman from Toorak were transported to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

 

Ambulance Victoria said a woman with lower body injuries was airlifted to The Alfred, while a man was taken by road to Bendigo Health in a stable condition.

 

Investigations were underway into what caused the crash.

 

Police were calling for witnesses to the incident, particularly any CCTV or dashcam footage which may help with their investigations.

 

There was a severe weather warning for damaging winds for the central district which included the Elphinstone area at the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Severe weather warning" my ass. I was flying just east of there (I could see Elphinstone!) at that exact time yesterday, in 9/8 blue sky and almost zero wind.

Weather had absolutely nothing to do with it. Look at the photos, nuthin but clear blue sky.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, 440032 said:

"Severe weather warning" my ass. I was flying just east of there (I could see Elphinstone!) at that exact time yesterday, in 9/8 blue sky and almost zero wind.

Weather had absolutely nothing to do with it. Look at the photos, nuthin but clear blue sky.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

An earlier Channel 9 report said there was a crosswind and they were pushed across into a fence. They are ideal in calm conditions, but I'm aware of a few similar incidents where the machine gets pushed sideways. Problem is, if you turn into the wind their slow forward speed makes it a mathematical calculation to get high enough to clear obstacles. They are best in an open paddock with wind. I was looking at using one  in bush conditions, landing on roads, but it was clear from watching a few days events that you could forget about roads.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was no wind at the time. None.

There is what I think is a crude 450m airstrip and a hangar just off the freeway. Ah, guess where, Potts Rd. Bingo.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, turboplanner said:

An earlier Channel 9 report said there was a crosswind and they were pushed across into a fence. They are ideal in calm conditions, but I'm aware of a few similar incidents where the machine gets pushed sideways. Problem is, if you turn into the wind their slow forward speed makes it a mathematical calculation to get high enough to clear obstacles. They are best in an open paddock with wind. I was looking at using one  in bush conditions, landing on roads, but it was clear from watching a few days events that you could forget about roads.

i owned an aerochute, horrible thing but they seem to have a good following. i also went for a trial flight on a windy morning at werribee. maybe 5 or 6 knts. the passenger before me got crook and came back in after 5 minutes. i went up for about 10 minutes and it was not pleasant. went home and sold mine.

  • Like 1
  • Informative 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 440032 said:

"Severe weather warning" my ass. I was flying just east of there (I could see Elphinstone!) at that exact time yesterday, in 9/8 blue sky and almost zero wind.

Weather had absolutely nothing to do with it. Look at the photos, nuthin but clear blue sky.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

it does not take much wind to upset an aerochute if your near obstacles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What do you call " thermalling " .

It's a huge thermal engine .

Ask those that ' paraglide ' in competitions. 

Especially in ' thunderstorm ' conditions .

Records were broken , & a competitor ( almost )

Froze to death in Australia .

spacesailor

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, spacesailor said:

What do you call " thermalling " .

It's a huge thermal engine .

Ask those that ' paraglide ' in competitions. 

Especially in ' thunderstorm ' conditions .

Records were broken , & a competitor ( almost )

Froze to death in Australia .

spacesailor

 

 

 

 

 

Im sure its happened to a few but the most well know one I think was actually in Austria, this lady

 

 

Edited by Red
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, turboplanner said:

That wasn't a Powered Parachute.

I thought we were talking paragliders

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Red said:

I thought we were talking paragliders

 

We were - a minor thread drift but paragliders it was

 

But no need to worry, most of us I believe are fed up with him and have been for a long time - I find the "Bush Lawyer" stuff particularly annoying.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Winner 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Red said:

Im sure its happened to a few but the most well know one I think was actually in Austria, this lady

 

 

What's descibed here is, as says a Paraglider.

 

The accident at Elphinstone involved a Powered Parachute;

The Channel 9 reporter correctly describes is as a Powered Parachute.

The branding identifies it as an Aerochute make, HummerChute model.

 

https://www.9news.com.au/national/elphinstone-emergency-services-respond-to-paraglider-crash-in-victoria/f27a886c-1fdc-4253-8789-488a72bbf5d8

 

This Wikipedia link, under "Confusion with powered Paragliding  says: "There is often confusion about the difference between powered parachutes (PPC) and powered paragliders (PPG) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powered_parachute

 

So the heading, which seems to have followed the newsmedia is incorrect and needs to be corrected.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, red750 said:

Just as long as you don't confuse him with me. I've been on this forum a few years longer than he has.

 

Nope, wasn't confusing you and "Red" - my comments were directed at an annoying & prolific vanker

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, pmccarthy said:

I live a mile away, there was no significant wind.

i posted a facebook post from the owner of the property, i don't think anyone can see it.   he said they were caught by a wind change , they never actually took off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

i posted a facebook post from the owner of the property, i don't think anyone can see it.   he said they were caught by a wind change , they never actually took off.

An aerochute nose wheel is  fixed, you rely on getting it off the ground to steer. If the wind ,light or not suddenly dropped or changed he could have got speared into the fence when the nose wheel came down.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...