Why do lots of people dislike jabirus

Guest Pioneer200

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is that a painting on a dull surface, or a reflection from a shiny surface, Ross?

A painting on a shiny surface Geoff.

That's on the tail. You can just see it in the 2nd photo.

Not sure about taking the reaper with you everywhere you go in a homemade jet.

Guest ozzie

Skydog,

my Lazair flys on about 70lbs thrust total 35 a side i thought that it would be a bit of fun to have a couple of those RC jet engines. there would not even be a c/g change. only takes 2 minutes to remove each piston engine. the original ANO95:10 did not have restrictions on type of engines just as long as the MTOW was under 400lbs. won't mention the 5ltr steam boiler i'm turning into a RATO type unit.

does this wording in the regs referring to 'propeller' mean that ducted fans are out?

Ozzie

Guest ozzie

I was looking at the Moni forum who have been discussing bigger engines to replace the hard to find KFM and one guy mentioned the Jab engine that came with the Waiex kit from Monnet that a fellow EAA builder from his local chapter just bought.

here is his comments on the as yet unflown engine. has anyone used this carb he is talking about. BTW they are very impressed with quality of the kit.

<Now... the EAA member who bought this kit also opted for the six cylinder Jaiburu engine. Oh my, oh my. What a NICE engine! Superbly packed (upside down) in a very nice crate, all shiny and very well machined fittings and structure on it. It comes with a Bing carburetor, which he will remove and replace with the optional Posa style carb (I forgot the name.. its not an Ellison throttle body either, but operates the same ). It does not matter if right side up or upside down, there is no float bowl on this carb.

The ignition on the Jaiburu looks a bit suspicious, but we may be fooled. It had automotive distributor caps (2) and simple coil ignition. We expected more, but... maybe they work just fine and are reliable. But the rest of the engine was dazzlin>

I have owned two j230's The first was home built 4 years ago, my current Jab factory built is nearly 18 months old and 153 hours

Dislikes are leaking doors which I overcoame by buying a cover from Punkin Head.

Stuck ring and leaking head through bolts which Jab fixed at 136 hours. They supplied new pistons, latest cam and lifters, bearings and paid for the lame to do job even though out of warranty:thumb_up:

Fuel gauges are terrible. I landed at William Creek last week with both gauges on RED and sight glasses empty. It took 101 litres to fill. (35 lites still in tanks) Scared the life out of me.

Radio,s sent back for service. OK now.

Seats are uncomfortable. I got a motor trimmer to make inserts of foam for under the cover, great now.

The older Jab had individual wing tanks which I prefered as I could keep the balance of fuel better. Current Jabs tend to transfer to one tank. I asked the factory and they told me that the certification would not let them use these due to possible pilot mismanagement.

Tyres are now no problem since having 45 in the mains. The old recomendation was for 28 I think which wore the tubes out due to scuffing against the tyre wall.

heat problems have been mostly cured since the cowl and oil cooler mods.

So in summary, I like my 230D as it suits my travel criteria re space and endurance. The above is probably what most Jab owners have encounted i'd say.

Would I buy another..You bet.:thumb_up:

Phil.

Fuel gauges are terrible.

Yep - I do love the 160, great aircraft to fly, but very hard to get a fix on fuel unless you're actually filling the tanks.

As an example, the other day both wing gauges were showing >60L (ie FULL) when the log indicated around 100L.

After about 30min flying, LH tank was around 5/8ths (45L) and RH a tad less than FULL (55L) - so assuming the start volume by the gauges was 120L, less 7L for 30 min equals 113L, how does that compare to the measured 100L by the gauges?

I reckon we need dipsticks or something to get an accurate feel for fuel in the Jab.

BTW - no smartarse comments re my total inability to keep the ball centered in flight - I know it's something I need to work on:keen:

I have dip sticks, but not much good in a 4-5 hour flight. I suspected a fuel leak somewhere. I was in gliding distance of cleared ground for the last 15 minutes, just knew that I had enough fuel by the flight plan. Still a worry.

Phil

https://www.recreationalflying.com/xf2/uploads/emoticons/keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif[/img]

Used to fly an old 172D years ago that would suck most of the fuel from one tank before it started on the next so don't think it just happens in the latest Jabs.

In all of this, no one has come and said they have had an engine failure in a Jabi_dunno

Come to think of it, no one has said that they have had one in a 912 either so maybe it needs the Myth Busters to a segment:laugh:006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif Maybe all of these engines are better than we are prepared to admit.011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

I love Jabs, Thrusters,, Gazelle's,,, Drifters,,,, Tiger Moths,,,,, Cessna's,,,,,,, Pipers.....................

Cheers

Guest brentc

I had considered posting that link myself but after reading it in depth and deciding it was written by an extremely irate and uninformed writer with little knowledge of Jabiru, regulations and aircraft in general I decided not to!

I don't necessary agree with it I just thought it was an interesting read. I suprises me that Jabiru didn't get this squashed as it makes alot of severe accusations without proof

Yep - I do love the 160, great aircraft to fly, but very hard to get a fix on fuel unless you're actually filling the tanks...... BTW - no smartarse comments re my total inability to keep the ball centered in flight - I know it's something I need to work on:keen:

The ball centreing helps in flight - but what I dont like is the transfer when parked on uneven ground.. I sometimes take off with 70% or so on one side.. (according to the guages, at least)... as it takes ages for the tanks to re-balance.

In all of this, no one has come and said they have had an engine failure in a Jabi

OK OK I'll admit it - I had one, albeit brief because it restarted - but it happened just as I was powering up on a go-around after a completely stuffed up approach.

Bit scary when things go suddenly quiet .....

I had considered posting that link myself but after reading it in depth and deciding it was written by an extremely irate and uninformed writer with little knowledge of Jabiru, regulations and aircraft in general I decided not to!

The author of "that" article claimed to be a involved in the founding of Ra-Aus and Australian Flying Magazine I believe...maybe he just lost his marble a little after the accident...although some of what he shows is worth checking out...and does indicate that Jabiru has used the public as a testbed for its engines and not always in the best interests of the flying joe...although I guess this is the way it is done normally?

Guest brentc

Even Lycoming use end-users as their testbed, it's just evolution. Replacement crankshafts under an AD for example.

Guest ozzie
Fuel gauges are terrible. I landed at William Creek last week with both gauges on RED and sight glasses empty. It took 101 litres to fill. (35 lites still in tanks) Scared the life out of me.

Current Jabs tend to transfer to one tank.:thumb_up:

Phil.

have the system recalibrated

stop flying one wing low and fit one way valves to both tanks.

Jabs use modified Holden pistons I believe and the mod is to do with the circlip keeping the gudgeon pin in place. Originally they could rotate or were located in just about any position, but the reversal of the piston, could change the shape of the clip, letting it come out at BDC. The gudgeon pin then moved out and hit the underside of the cylinder, causing instant stoppage.

I saw the results of one of these stoppages and there was nothing left that would have been re usable, except maybe the block at tha base of the oil filter.

Yes Jab were letting users do their research, but who could have foretold what could happen and they soon put it right. Even Lycoming have had similar problems, most recently with failing crankshafts.

have the system recalibratedstop flying one wing low and fit one way valves to both tanks.

I have ordered a header tank gauge today cost $50 Jab listed part 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif I will get LAME to install. I should have a better handle of "nerve management" unless the globe blows!

In future longish flights I have decided it may be better to carry the extra weight of fuel rather than relying on the flight plan usage and allow for 90 minutes of reserve instead of the normal 45.

I would be loathe to install any fuel valves as suggested unless directed by Jabiru.

Phil.

So the Jabs have multiple tanks but doesn't have a tank selector? I am only familiar with the SportStar and in that we select the tank we want to use so I swap tanks around every 20 to 30 minutes or so, that is enough to keep the needles in a very similar position on the gauge.

I hope to start doing some training in a Jab in a month or two so I am interested in all the little differences I read about :-)

Steven.

So the Jabs have multiple tanks but doesn't have a tank selector? I am only familiar with the SportStar and in that we select the tank we want to use so I swap tanks around every 20 to 30 minutes or so, that is enough to keep the needles in a very similar position on the gauge. I hope to start doing some training in a Jab in a month or two so I am interested in all the little differences I read about :-)

Steven.

Hi Steven,

The factory built 230 has only one on/off valve. Both wing tanks and the header tank are together, hence my decion to install warning low fuel light on the header tank, it is only 5 L in size but could save a situation if there was a leak from the drain valves for instance. I use a dip stick calibrated but the plane must be level to get any accuracy.

Hope that you will enjoy the Jab. I will go for a tif in a Sportstar sometime, they sure look OK.

Cheers.

Phil.