CTAF call format

Just never, ever, ever make a call in the third person (such as saying Drifter XXXX "turns" base instead of "turning" base).It's not against the regulations but it should be! ace.gif.4b7b2ce3e9d614e05873a978e6555c1d.gif075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gifsee_no_evil.gif.405888ff9078f30e1e55f7c227388916.gif001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Turns, joins, rolls, departs, .......ANNOYS!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Howard Hughes
Just never, ever, ever make a call in the third person (such as saying Drifter XXXX "turns" base instead of "turning" base).It's not against the regulations but it should be! ace.gif.4b7b2ce3e9d614e05873a978e6555c1d.gif075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gifsee_no_evil.gif.405888ff9078f30e1e55f7c227388916.gif001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

And don't preface it with 'the' Drifter XXXX...augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

Unless you work for BA!!022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Example:

Rottnest Island traffic, Helicopter Romeo Tango Quebec, Robinson R44, currently one zero miles east of Rottnest, one thousand five hundred in-bound to join right downwind runway zero nine. Estimate circuit time three zero (meaning actual time to join the circuit e.g. 1330hrs) Traffic Rottnest.

From there I make a 5 mile call then 3 mile call before making my downwind call, base call then final.

Even if no-one is there, is excellent airmanship and keep in the back of your mind that someone is always listening!

• Like 1

The possibly ambiguious thing about these calls for me is the who you are bit. Over the last years I identified myself as "Sapphire" or "Varieze". Not everybody knows what those two a/c look like. The term "helecopter, ultralight, sports a/c, light twin etc" would be better

IF you are on the limit of your range and making an initial contact, I can't see anything wrong with something like. " XYZ this is ABC , do you read?". Otherwise say the minimum and be clear and don't rush it . Nev

Example:...currently one zero miles east .... one thousand five hundred in-bound to join right downwind runway zero nine....

Wow, your eyesight is a lot better than mine if you can see the Rotto windsock from 10 miles out! 043_duck_for_cover.gif.77707e15ee173cd2f19de72f97e5ca3b.gif

rgmwa

That sounds good Brett. Probably don't need that many call though. ;)

It's always a good thing to do at an airfield like Rottnest, we get everything from RAAus aircraft, GA aircraft and Military aircraft using the airfield and the NDB to do approaches. Situational awareness at a location like that is paramount. Nothing like mixing it up with a few jets, P-3's and rescue choppers!

Turns, joins, rolls, departs, .......ANNOYS!!!!!!!!!!

And so do long-winded calls when the circuit is busy.

"Lilydale XYZ base 18" is enough to tell the world that you are commencing the next leg when others are trying to call 10 miles or final.

Kaz

• Like 3

Wow, your eyesight is a lot better than mine if you can see the Rotto windsock from 10 miles out! 043_duck_for_cover.gif.77707e15ee173cd2f19de72f97e5ca3b.gifrgmwa

I already know the wind direction by the time I'm overhead Fremantle, either by other aircraft in the CTAF or the wind sock at Azure Helicopters on Rous Head. Plus if you look at all the merchant ships at anchor then that will also give you a pretty good idea of wind direction. Failing all of that, you've always got that wind turbine on the island, it sticks out like a sore thumb!

This was yesterday

I already know the wind direction by the time I'm overhead Fremantle, either by other aircraft in the CTAF or the wind sock at Azure Helicopters on Rous Head. Plus if you look at all the merchant ships at anchor then that will also give you a pretty good idea of wind direction. Failing all of that, you've always got that wind turbine on the island, it sticks out like a sore thumb!This was yesterday

looks like a typical (inverted) circuit to me..lol

You must have inflatable rotors for the sea landing...

remember inverted fuel tanks have a time limit lol..

I already know the wind direction by the time I'm overhead Fremantle, either by other aircraft in the CTAF or the wind sock at Azure Helicopters on Rous Head. Plus if you look at all the merchant ships at anchor then that will also give you a pretty good idea of wind direction. Failing all of that, you've always got that wind turbine on the island, it sticks out like a sore thumb!

Yeah, yeah, but apart from all that, ya still can't see the bloody Rotto wind sock, can ya? 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

rgmwa

We had a Boeing 717 join crosswind 10, join downwind 10, join base 10 and join finals 10. I was pretty impressed by him joining the the same circuit 4 times!!!

We had a Boeing 717 join crosswind 10, join downwind 10, join base 10 and join finals 10. I was pretty impressed by him joining the the same circuit 4 times!!!

I guess you can get lost when you fly a big circuit?

Kaz

• Like 2

I already know the wind direction by the time I'm overhead Fremantle, either by other aircraft in the CTAF or the wind sock at Azure Helicopters on Rous Head. Plus if you look at all the merchant ships at anchor then that will also give you a pretty good idea of wind direction. Failing all of that, you've always got that wind turbine on the island, it sticks out like a sore thumb!This was yesterday

This photo made me think about a poster on the flightline wall amongst all the others.

"If you fly a single engine helicopter over water for for a length of time, sooner or later you are going to get wet".

I think it was related to HUETs training.