Avocet flys again

AVOCET

get the engine off the top, and put 2 on the front like Jab have with their new prototype!

The jabiru twins for the South African market ,

Stuck with one in Raa unless its VH experimental

IDE have to put 2 on the wings otherwise its a complete new design

Just as a note : to put the engine on the nose and have the load space in the back the design would have not much smaller than an Airvan

It's already pretty big , it was originally designed for the Raa 760 MTOW , bad luck hay ?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see it making a great amphibian, as in you drawings. The engine is in the right place, the tail is up high out of the water , and the foward cabin design would lend itseft to gull wing type doors, similar to those on the Republic Seabee.....Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Check these out , already thinking about it , but I'm gona need help with an amphib .

Any takers?image.jpg.a0659855c612889a3b67b85c3e7a58ea.jpg

image.jpg.78d2d7d3c7d5e29c3f6f2d6c5e446a44.jpg

image.jpg.01a6510cc05baee3c7169834f9ef02b7.jpg

• Agree 1

Who needs Autocad and similar (expensive) software - these drawings are like Leonardo DaVinci's!!! Artwork like that seen 300 plus years ago. Having said that, watching something evolve from simple wire frame models to fully rendered rotatable images on a PC is pretty dam cool.

• Agree 2

• 1 year later...

Hi Laurie,

I went to Gawler last week and had a fly withBruce Tunks ,

It went well ,

Im sitting hear reading the forum

and looking out the hanger door ,

Should be any time now !

It needs to be pretty calm around-here for test flying , hills and all that .

Cheers

Mike

• Like 2

That's good to hear. I'm glad I did an hour or so with Gerard Lappin before going off solo in my Jabbie. Very little flying planes for a couple of years while building shows plus my long winged Jabbie is different to others I've flown. Getting the hang of it now after 34 hours. It's funny but it's a relatively easy plane to fly but not that easy to fly well. Looking forward to hearing how yours is going. Laurie

That's good to hear. I'm glad I did an hour or so with Gerard Lappin before going off solo in my Jabbie. Very little flying planes for a couple of years while building shows plus my long winged Jabbie is different to others I've flown. Getting the hang of it now after 34 hours. It's funny but it's a relatively easy plane to fly but not that easy to fly well. Looking forward to hearing how yours is going. Laurie

I flu the little jab 55 lsa , i recon this is a great little trainer , lets you know how slack you can become on the rudders .

At least i don't have the nerves problem i had a few months ago ,

My excuse now , I've picked up a "boggy ", last week in Adelaide

Mike

• Agree 1

Who needs Autocad and similar (expensive) software - these drawings are like Leonardo DaVinci's!!! Artwork like that seen 300 plus years ago. Having said that, watching something evolve from simple wire frame models to fully rendered rotatable images on a PC is pretty dam cool.

Using some of this new 3D modelling software is pretty cool though. It makes designing stuff pretty easy and very cool especially when you can then print it with a 3D printer. This is the new XY mechanism for the new 3D printer we are making at work...its for our own in-house stuff and not for sale by us but its way cool its 1 metre in the X direction and 700 in the Y direction just have to finish the Z axis now. We have all the rods and linear bearings and end blocks made the stepper motors and drivers should be here on Monday..cant wait to start making it all work. The XY is belt driven and the Z is

ballscrew

Mark

1919379378_XYaxis.jpg.8c3309302b8ef06c4c68d981d7a56ca8.jpg

Finally took the Avocet for a half hour flight in still air around 1000. Agl orbiting at late down wind / base area . ish .

The new tail feels good and seems balanced in feel .

Static prop speed at start of take off roll 2750 .

Thats not bad for a 62 dia x 54 pitch . Climb 80 knts . vert \speed 1000fpm at 2600 rpm .( empty plane , )

Just cruising at 2600 rpm indicating 95 knt's . Coolant temp 102 c heads , around 85/95 c oil temp 95 c .

Still not game to wind it out

The prop windmills on final at idle 1000 rpm at 70 knts , might try 65 knts .

Next step ; pull the cowls off and another rigorous inspection ,

• Like 11
  • Winner 4

Finally took the Avocet for a half hour flight in still air around 1000. Agl orbiting at late down wind / base area . ish ..

. Climb 80 knts . vert \speed 1000fpm at 2600 rpm .( empty plane , )

Wow that's a good performance for an 'empty plane' so let us know how it performs when you're in it. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif.

Alan. 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif.

• Haha 1

How can your coolant temp be higher than your head temp? Congratulations on what must have been a lot of effort. Like to see the oil at about 95 for mineral oils. Nev

When i had the cht probe under the plugs , the temps had a spread 110/ 140 c i did the same mod on the LCH as jabiru has done to their heads .

So now , as with the aircooled heads temps eaven out to those lower numbers .

I'm Guessing that the probes now in the cooling air flow on the outside face of the heads

I moved the coolant temp probe from opposite to the exaust side , which used to read a hot spot of ; up to 128 c , in climb , to the opposite head , hence reading the flow in the waterjaket (?), opposite the intake , 102 c in climb ,and at altitude coolant temp is a lot closer to cht 's

I've never seen any signs of it booling .

I guess it will take time to present these numbers in a way that covers all the bases , as a operating manual , ect

But as ive mentioned here , these posts are only my musings ,

Mike

Clearly, you are not measuring them at the hottest part, but if something goes wrong it should register a rise if it is in metal. Nev

The coolant temp is for the SDS Computer for mixture , doesn't show individual heads ,

Between exhaust temp readouts and cht', s , should be able to notice trends

Mike

So happy that you have your bird in the air again Mike.

Thats great news.

If you have a couple of issues that need sorting, so many here are behind you, and you of all people, are sure to get them sorted.

Take care.

Kind Regards

Planey

• Agree 4
  • Informative 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been flying around home strip ,

Yhe new fin and winglets combined geta rid off the fish tail yaw in turbulence, feels " normal " ( about time .

Theres an opening day on the first Nov.at Clare airport in SA . I might fly it down there 1.5hr flight.

Theres a dinner night 80$ head .

Motors running sweet and now im waint for still conditions to begin testing for phugiods ect ,

Mike

• Like 4
  • Winner 2

Ive been flying around home strip ,Yhe new fin and winglets combined geta rid off the fish tail yaw in turbulence, feels " normal " ( about time .

Theres an opening day on the first Nov.at Clare airport in SA . I might fly it down there 1.5hr flight.

Theres a dinner night 80$ head .

Motors running sweet and now im waint for still conditions to begin testing for phugiods ect ,

Mike

G'day Mike, good to hear, would love to see the Avocet at the Clare do on the 1st........