Tell us about your last flight

Admin

Mine wasnt that exciting but seeing the plane in front of me run off the wide wide runway onto the grass then back on, then back off was pretty interesting. Will i abort, wont i, will i, wont i and off they go........

I forgot to look for all the smashed landing lights

Another lesson yesterday all I can remember was a fairly constant feed of commands in my ears . To high, Raise the nose, sinking more power. This one looks ok let's go all the way . And my personal favourite of the day. " wow let's make this one a missed approach." But as always a hell of a great time.

• Like 4

Well im thinking about my next one. Maybe the next really nice clear day im gunna go up to 9999 and see what its like up there. Take the missus and get some nice photos. My previous height was 7500 but there was so much smoke it wasnt much of a view.

Another lesson yesterday all I can remember was a fairly constant feed of commands in my ears . To high, Raise the nose, sinking more power. This one looks ok let's go all the way . And my personal favourite of the day. " wow let's make this one a missed approach." But as always a hell of a great time.

Yeah, I've had instructors that didn't know when to shut up. They were often quite good pilots, but I didn't retain much of their yadda yadda when we were airborn. When you're a green student and 90% focussed on keeping the plane under control and trying to recall all the checklists and keeping an eye out for other traffic, one ear on the radio and one eye on the instruments, the auto-gibber from the right seat tends to waft through to the other side. Certainly in that case, Less Is More...

• Agree 3

I have seen some pretty dumb arse "pilots " I say that because some "pilots" are a accident waiting to happen . Useless & I have to have shared the same airspace with these clowns. Normally old blokes who are probably better off knitting . Just sayin.

• Agree 1

Sorry I seem to have painted the wrong picture here. My instructor is great my post was more an attempt at a joke pointing out my need of instruction. All these commands are not only needed but well timed and not at all unwecomed.

Marc

Yeah, my post probably was a bit over the top too. The instructors I mentioned were definitely in the minority and in any case meant well. Most of my experience with flying instructors has been very positive and helpful.

*shameless plug*

Especially Damien and Neil at Go Fly in Caboolture. Best ever.

Better to do the explanations at briefing on the ground prior. Too much noise and distractions in the air, for long dissertations. Perhaps " well you have got the bad landing out of the way, we can go and do the good ones now". Nev

Interesting events this morning with a Foxbat (slow) and a Lancair (fast) doing circuits plus virgin, two Cessnas and a diamond, plus 6 microlights came in together then left 30 min later.... It was literally crazy town for a while..... A runway incursion by a cessna infront of a Lancair about 0.5nm (prob doing 85kt) on final (some friendly words where said)..... so the Lancair had to abort.... At least we are all honing our traffic skills

The funny thing was Virgin managed to slot into all that. Usually Virgin are attrocious at slotting in. Paranoid would be the word that comes to mind. QLink no probs slot in easy every time. Usually Virgin spends so long telling each aircraft individually to go wide, go long , do an orbit etc that each aircraft is finished its leg before he has got thru his instructions to everyone... I really was very surprised that he managed to land... Thinking the Captain must have taken over.

I have seen some pretty dumb **** "pilots " I say that because some "pilots" are a accident waiting to happen . Useless & I have to have shared the same airspace with these clowns. Normally old blokes who are probably better off knitting . Just sayin.

Dazza, at what age in your perfect world does an average pilot become a "pretty dumb **** pilot" who needs to trade his pilot's licence for a pair of knitting needles? In every aspect of human activity there exists a ceertain percentage of 'pretty dumb **** whatevers" - it's a component part of being human, so I take umbrage at your labelling me a 'pretty dumb **** pilot" just because I'm in my mid seventies and have occasionally been known to make an error of judgement. In your omniscience, please advise at what age I should have euthanized myself so as to not impinge upon your perfect world? This post could be my polite way to imply that you can get stuffed but then again, perhaps we can chalk it up to senility and no knitting needles?

• Agree 8

Dazza, at what age in your perfect world does an average pilot become a "pretty dumb **** pilot" who needs to trade his pilot's licence for a pair of knitting needles? In every aspect of human activity there exists a ceertain percentage of 'pretty dumb **** whatevers" - it's a component part of being human, so I take umbrage at your labelling me a 'pretty dumb **** pilot" just because I'm in my mid seventies and have occasionally been known to make an error of judgement. In your omniscience, please advise at what age I should have euthanized myself so as to not impinge upon your perfect world? This post could be my polite way to imply that you can get stuffed but then again, perhaps we can chalk it up to senility and no knitting needles?

Don't take dazza too serious Riley I read a second post of his on the same day and it sounded to me like he had a bad day, we all have those days where other operators make our day bad.

As a side note reading in December mag Brian's column he thinks we all need a psychological test before we get our licence, but IMHO if we got rid of any pilot/car driver who was a threat none of us would be flying or driving. Just like a good driver is someone who takes their time and watches not only the road but also other users, a good pilot should be someone who is patient flys sensibly and expects others to make mistakes. I've found on the road that getting cranky at other drivers generally causes me to make mistakes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Guest Andys@coffs

......Not always the case....for example in western NSW and SA that grass will often contain caltrop (sp??) which can deflate....well......pretty much anything that has the unfortunate sense to come into contact with it.....It's why 10 ply tyres on the Jab are a necessity or the time and equipment to fix a inner tube that will likely have more holes per sq inch than flyscreen does if you run through an extended patch of them!

Where I live now we have bindii eyes......people round here complain about them but obviously have never met a fully grown caltrop.......sort of like talking about how great an earth mover a bobcat is to a D9 owner.....

My last flight, on Sunday morning, was incidentally also my first (well, first of official instruction anyway). The usual, 0.8 hours, effects of controls. It was beautiful conditions for flying, instructor seems like a real nice bloke and the flying school very friendly.

Onwards and upwards!

Gav.

• Like 6

Just a few test flights for a faulty - now repaired - Altitude Encoder. Of course, I had to take it up to 7,500', didn't I? Never bothered to do that over the home field before. Nice view.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My last flight was my last as a Student Pilot landing at YPFT !! At times ( usually involving hard landings, shaky emergency practices, crosswinds and updrafts upsetting my originally perfect final approaches....etc. etc. etc..) I really thought I'd never get there.

Landed just before 1200 today after waiting quite some time since 0730 for the clouds to clear before I went on a relatively stress free mock test first, followed shortly thereafter by an almost direct replica of the flight I'd just been on but suddenly it was hugely unnerving and high stress !!

Off to the RA-Aus shopfront tomorrow to get a new bit of plastic with "NW" and "HP" printed on it.

Am I a 'pilot'? Ask me again in 1000 hours....then I may just possibly be able to answer almost truthfully " I think I'm getting the hang of it." 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

• Like 3
  • Winner 1