ASIC

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which could be translated to means that the funding is working extremely well keeping the deaths down to such a low number.

Geoff - surely you're pulling our pisser?

I think Mudge is starting to get strict about wearing the card. There have been notices sent around. I haven't had one for a few years but decided to since Wagga is a nice stop from here and I go to Mudgee a lot. From memory, not many fences surrounding the entire perimeter of many airports.

• Like 1

In the latest RAA email news thingy it mentioned that we will no longer be required to send back in our old ASIC before the new one is issued, which will make things a little easier. Mine ran out in January so I had better get my act together and do the paperwork.

I still do think it is a stupid thing but I like flying to Narrabri and Dubbo so I am sucking it up:groan:

• Like 1

My ASIC expired today. I applied at the beginning of Feb because I have had the bs of applying earlier and ending up losing a month from the 24 month period.

The $200 was taken from my account a couple of weeks ago, and it is only renewal - I have paid for one of the ridiculous things since they were invented.

I have no reservations with wearing my EXPIRED card as I have applied and been charged for the renewal - Not refused - If some enterprising individual wants to challenge me, bring it on.

More then a month for a renewal is just unacceptable as far as I am concerned.

• Agree 2
  • Caution 2

The local meals on wheels here now require even the kitchen-only volunteers to have a police check. One 80 year old woman resigned at the principle of the thing. I agree with her.

There are grubs out there who prey upon old people, young people, the meek, the halt and feeble minded and aircraft owners. They might be kitchen only staff this week but they will use all their psychopathic and sociopathic skills to move up the food chain without detection. It's tough but all people working with people at risk really do need to have a police check - might not uncover anything but might discourage the bad people (and the heroes and those looking for an OAM)

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

There are grubs out there who prey upon old people, young people, the meek, the halt and feeble minded and aircraft owners. They might be kitchen only staff this week but they will use all their psychopathic and sociopathic skills to move up the food chain without detection...

Col Police Checks might weed out some grubs, but misses the sociopaths and psychopaths who are smart enough to avoid getting caught. They get promoted until they're in charge- then introduce protocols that their type can evade.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Col Police Checks might weed out some grubs, but misses the sociopaths and psychopaths who are smart enough to avoid getting caught. They get promoted until they're in charge- then introduce protocols that their type can evade.

Even George Pell can't pick the bad ones (apparently), so what chance a police check?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

I prefer the Police check to the "good guy with a gun" or "caught with your pants down" alternatives. Might not be comprehensive but does scrape a lot of scum off the walls.

I am retired and attend a Men's Shed. One day a year, during the mid-year school holidays, we provide an activity day for school children to let them nail, glue and paint wooden toys from components made at the shed. The activity is conducted at the local arts centre. We are required to have a current police check.

• Informative 1

Is there an example of a police check doing some good? I never heard of it and I would feel better about the cost of our instructors checks if I knew that it did some good somewhere.

I don't even know what you have to do to fail the check. Do you need to have a record of sexual assaults? Or just being on a suspect list? Or would being critical of CASA do it ?

• Haha 1

I agree. Just be aware of where the delay is and these days at least it is not with RAAus.

Don

I didn't point to where the delay was, I have no idea, just the fact that over a month is not reasonable IMO.

I used my expired one today, but was not challenged, so I don't get your "optimistic " comment.

Why would you expect a bad one to be able to pick a bad one.

I'm assuming that your post is actually a rhetorical question. Pell has more excuses than CASA and they also share this ability to be polite whilst ignoring their incompetence.

• Like 1

Is there an example of a police check doing some good?

This is a very valid point. Exactly how many times has the system been effective and how many times has it failed? As with ASIC we should have years of data by now showing it's effectiveness or otherwise - which should determine the schemes continuation or not.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Is there an example of a police check doing some good? I never heard of it and I would feel better about the cost of our instructors checks if I knew that it did some good somewhere.I don't even know what you have to do to fail the check. Do you need to have a record of sexual assaults? Or just being on a suspect list? Or would being critical of CASA do it ?

Being convicted of a crime, basically. It is a little more complicated than that, particularly if you deal with children or at-risk people (asylum seekers etc), and for certain other types of jobs. Check out the spent conviction scheme for info that matter (http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police-checks/spent-convictions-scheme). Being a suspect should be insufficient, as nothing has yet been proved against you.

080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif

I'm not sure what the police are allowed to do with the information provided to them as part of the check. In theory it should only be used for the intended purpose (privacy act), but as I haven't gone looking for the statement which says what they consider the purpose to be 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

Oh, I've heard of a sex offender being refused a job as a teacher. QLD I think...

• Informative 1

DonI didn't point to where the delay was, I have no idea, just the fact that over a month is not reasonable IMO.

True, and you will recall that I agreed with you that the delay was unreasonable whoever was responsible.

I used my expired one today, but was not challenged, so I don't get your "optimistic " comment.

No offence meant Frank, it came to me after reading your comment:

"I have no reservations with wearing my EXPIRED card as I have applied and been charged for the renewal - Not refused - If some enterprising individual wants to challenge me, bring it on."

Your reasoning is faultless but sadly, the people who enforce these things, rarely seem to recognise a good argument.