A320 crash

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to one report: "Experts said that while the Airbus had descended rapidly, its rate of descent did not suggest it had simply fallen out of the sky."

No, experts, which are the accident investigators, did not say that. TV commentators masquerading themselves as experts said that based on "flight tracking" data on the internet which does not tell the full story like the flight recorders will.

• Agree 3

My daughter is going to France on a school trip in a few weeks and I feel more nervous then when my son was doing frontline combat missions in Iraq and Afghanistan especially since the recent terriost attacks and now this.

Guest Andys@coffs

I see that they say they have recovered the CVR, but as yet not the FDR....

Surely in this day and age we can fit both functions into a single box of similar size and weight etc...and then we can duplicate both so that if one is found you have both parts of the story and not just one in isolation... Or even better perhaps we can scale it down in size so that we can have multiple in different parts of the aircraft.....

I see that they say they have recovered the CVR, but as yet not the FDR....Surely in this day and age we can fit both functions into a single box of similar size and weight etc...and then we can duplicate both so that if one is found you have both parts of the story and not just one in isolation... Or even better perhaps we can scale it down in size so that we can have multiple in different parts of the aircraft.....

...as well as stream it live to the airline. When the Qantas A380 lost an engine the same error messages the crew were getting were also displaying in Qantas HQ.

My daughter is going to France on a school trip in a few weeks and I feel more nervous then when my son was doing frontline combat missions in Iraq and Afghanistan especially since the recent terriost attacks and now this.

Sorry but the only thing that makes me more nervous than when my son was doing combat missions in Afghanistan, is when I start doing research into PTSD and the effects and quantity of suicide for our returned Afghan Vets. My son has been home four years and lost five of his platoon members since he came home.

I would happily put my daughter on a plane to anywhere rather than answer my phone from an unlisted number at 2 am.

• Like 1

Sadly they fly straight into a cliff face, terminal and very destructive impact.

The plane had a major service and major clean the day before and was ferried a short distance to the airport it departed from, proves nothing at this stage but seems ominous.

The pilots were specifically broadcasting "emergency, emergency" rather than "mayday", does this mean anything?

Channel nine where giving the A320 a bashing tonight. talking about the air Asia a320 and the one that went in the Hudson river. I am Shaw it was the planes fault that it flew into a storm and the other one with the bird also the aircrafts fault. and they also showed the 330 that went down in the Atlantic.

Sorry but the only thing that makes me more nervous than when my son was doing combat missions in Afghanistan, is when I start doing research into PTSD and the effects and quantity of suicide for our returned Afghan Vets. My son has been home four years and lost five of his platoon members since he came home.I would happily put my daughter on a plane to anywhere rather than answer my phone from an unlisted number at 2 am.

Agree totally Geoff .

• Informative 1

It is sad that you feel more nervous and I think the media has to bear much of the responsibility for this. The past year has had some high profile airline crashes but it is also the safest year in commercial aviation history. Airbus has released some statistics that confirm this. An A320 takes off or lands every 2.5 seconds and has made over 85 million flights. The fatality rate for these aircraft is 0.14 per million flights.

The crashed jet, which had flown 58,300 hours across 46,700 flights, was delivered to Lufthansa from the production line in 1991. That makes it one of the older A320s but still within the average age of planes in service. The average A320 flown by Delta, for instance, is about 20 years old, airline data show.

This is an awful crash but the statistics show how safe and reliable these aircraft are. The same cannot be said about driving your car, crossing the road, playing soccer or rugby or many other activities we engage in on a daily basis. It is just that this has a high profile and is a very media rich situation.

• Agree 1

The crashed jet, which had flown 58,300 hours across 46,700 flights, was delivered to Lufthansa from the production line in 1991. That makes it one of the older A320s but still within the average age of planes in service. The average A320 flown by Delta, for instance, is about 20 years old, airline data show.

If average is 20 years... this one is 24 years if your data is correct..

Don't forget the Hawaiian Airlines that 'can opened' because of the short distances and high compression rates on the airframe

Doesn't that average 1.25 hrs per flight on those figures?

Unless the authorities have released some ATC tapes it probably means the media have once again made something up.

I could link you to the pages that were on the web less than an hour after the crash but it is now been taken down.

Often media reports factual things (or pictures) before suppression orders and that could be the case, or not.

If average is 20 years... this one is 24 years if your data is correct..Don't forget the Hawaiian Airlines that 'can opened' because of the short distances and high compression rates on the airframe

Doesn't that average 1.25 hrs per flight on those figures?

I guess it does. Must have been used a lot in short haul flights around Europe. Like the Embraer E90 between Coffs & Sydney. Flying time is often only 40 minutes.

I don't usually speculate on these things but this isn't your normal crash.

• Aircraft owned and serviced by Lufthansa which is among the best airlines in the world.

• Clear air.

• 8 minutes of descent with no word from the cockpit.

• (apparently) - on the NYT article, one pilot locked out of the cockpit and knocking to get back in.

If I was asked to put money on it... suicide by pilot would be my guess.

Every chance the PIC became incapacitated after the other pilot left the cockpit & fell forward enough to knock the auto pilot off and did a decent until impact, I guess the voice recorder will clarify if the PIC was talking or there was deathly silence in the cockpit other that the other pilot bashing on the door, if there was talk from the pic I would guess suicide, if no talking well anything is possible.

Alf