Aircraft Missing Near Katoomba

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the details listed under the free search for my car are Tare weight, last 4 digits of the VIN, rego expiry date and GVM. Nothing about owner, address, if it is registered to a business or who the actual operator of the vehicle is.

• Agree 1

This just sent from RAA: ( part note only:)

Accident at Katoomba Airport 27 February 2016

RAAus is saddened to advise members of the death of Mr Rod Hay. Mr Hay died in an accident at Katoomba Airport on 27 February 2016 involving Jabiru 55-3692.

The damage to nearby trees in conjunction with the extensive damage to the propeller and lack of visible external damage to the engine indicates the engine appeared to be operating at impact. To fully examine the engine, RAAus is conducting a supervised engine tear down with officials from ATSB and Jabiru.

The control systems of the aircraft were all confirmed as connected to key points after impact and all damage is consistent with impact damage.

At present our preliminary assessment of the evidence appears to support a possible loss of control with the cause as yet undetermined. RAAus will continue to work with authorities on the investigation and advise members again once we have more information.

I think that this fairly timely and reasonably adequate initial report on a very sad and disturbing occurrence is a sign that RAA has recognised that Members have a genuine need for reasonable advice in the case of serious accidents. The quick respopnse after the Moruya accident was better information than we have had out of RAA for some years and the people in RAA involed are to be thanked, I believe, for this significant improvement in communications.

It has also been a relief that this particular thread has not instantly degenerated into formula 'Jabiru' bashing posts and everybody has been respectful and reticent to assume a position on the initial report.

It is - in my belief - a good step forward that ATSB is involved, so we may get the results of trained, expert accident investigation.

RIP Rod Hay - the type of stalwart of the RAA movement.

• Agree 13
  • Informative 1
  • Caution 1

This type of information is greatly appreciated.

Brief, to the point, and addresses of few areas that maybe of of concern for those who have similar aircraft.

It's got to be a move in the right direction.

• Agree 7
  • Caution 1

Yes I too read that email and was pleasantly impressed with it, certainly a huge step compared to what we used to get.

Hopefully they keep up the trend with any further incidents.

• Agree 4

Perhaps I am a bit cynical. This is the first time (I think?) the RAA have come out with a preliminary accident report like this, so soon after an accident, and as an email to members...despite the number of accidents that have happened recently. It does not pinpoint any safety concerns. It is, however, quick to point out that the engine was running at impact. So it looked like the motivation for the email was attempting to quell any concern that the accident was a fatality caused by a Jabiru engine failure.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm happy if the RAA helps out Jabiru like that (if that's what happened). I just hope this wasn't a one-off report for the benefit of an aircraft company rather than the first of many reports to benefit members.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Powerin, I think there was a similarly quick notification after the aircraft (can't remember what breed) crashed into the sea and the it was discovered that there was a problem with primary control cable attachment or tension. Sorry about being vague about the details but I don't have time today to search back for more detail.

Personally, I am very pleased that the RAA acted as quickly as they did in both cases to provide preliminary findings and so replace speculation with fact, even if at this early time they are not able to provide all the facts.

I look forward to the result of the ATSB's investigation into this sad incident

• Agree 1

Original post removed by Moderator.

FT at the risk of being labeled a cry baby again, I will say that I find your post particularly offensive. Your suggestion that anyone would find cause to celebrate an accident that resulted in the death of fellow pilot is disgusting. I strongly urge you remove that post though I doubt that any slight and feeble spark of decency that you may still possess will overcome your need to be a complete and utter duckwit.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

I say "good on The Two Micks" for keeping members informed. Although the report says the engine was delivering power at the time of impact, it may have only been partial power and not sufficient to maintain flight. We can read into this many things including that the pilot became incapacitated in some way. We must wait for the coroner's report before speculating.

• Agree 3

Constantly members are complaining that they dont see or hear any report on accidents, especially more serious ones.

This results in nothing being learnt and conjecture going on for ages.

ATSB might take years to compile its report

Good work RAA and this is evidence money and effort spent investigating is worth it.

Terribly sad event

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

I am glad they have acted quickly , this fast info is vital for members safety and must be timely.

It was one of my and others main problems with raa and reporting and we discussed at length on another thread.

A good sign of improvement

• Agree 3