Lower your MTOW

shafs64

I found the Man Challenge works in changing your mind set on food and works for a small input of exercise with no machinery/equipment. i have only gained weight back due to laziness (not spending 1/2 hr walking and 10 mins exercising each day) which I i now have to work harder at.

You're not alone.

Broadly speaking (according to the previously mentioned follow up studies) about 85% of people who lose weight put it back on within about 5 years. ( now I can't recall if it was 5 years but that figure sticks in my head).

The psychology of "weight regain" is a whole world of its own.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a relative who went to thailand for weight loss surgery RISKY! I know. anyway i didn't want to go down this path as i have heard people cheat with milk shakes and stuff like that. I feel it's a lifestyle and mindset and keeping on top of that so you don't put it back on. One for me is ride days at motorcycle tracks you have to fit into your leathers. and i know you can get them made bigger but weight slows you down.

I like the CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet because it is based on the Australian Dietary Guidelines. There's no additional food or meal replacements - no cost to participate. Research had shown that protein spread throughout the day and low GI foods kept people satisfied for longer. You can still have treats, but these are one a day (beer, chocolate etc) not in place of food. People lose weight on it and change eating habits. The other thing that convinced me was their estimate of the weight I could expect to lose over 12 weeks - 1.9kg - pretty reasonable given I am tiny and only just overweight. None of the overblown hype of the commercial (food additional ...) Lose 10kg a month!, drop 3 dress sizes by summer!, diets. And it is not a restrictive diet, it is a healthy balanced diet. It is the only one I have investigated fully. Have a dau-in-law who has been on just about every one; the weirder it is the keener. They all get tossed aside for the next lot of shakes, supplements or evil foods. Regardless of Diets, just reducing your plate size should go some way to reducing your MTOW.

Broadly they all rely on you eating less and moving more in some way or other. The complex theories and notions on which they are based are often wrong but that’s irrelevant. They all make you become more aware of how much you eat and cut it down.

Jaba is spot on, with his comment above. However, there is another angle of weight gain to be very aware of - what undesirable products are hidden in the food you're eating.

Simply put, there's a lot of relatively indigestible heavy fats, typically the likes of tallow, buried in many foods.

Sausages are a classic, but many fast foods also contain a high percentage of these heavy fats, which add to weight gain, because the body doesn't pass them or use them, it simply stores them as the fat surrounding your organs.

This is where you need to be aware of what is actually in the foods you're eating. Food manufacturers are exceptionally devious at hiding the origins and contents in processed foods. Cutting down on highly-processed foods is a good start.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

What's in it as well as calories and the glycemic index is extremely IMPORTANT. Trans fats are bad news. They stay in your tissues. The safe level of them is ZERO. Fats store some very toxic substances that are fat soluble and hard to eliminate and when you lose weight your kidneys can suffer  if you do it too quickly. Processed? Avoid it. IF it lasts a long time, really avoid it.. Eat lots of vegetables. They have less sugars than fruits,  and more insoluble fibre to carry out the toxic crap. Nev

My experience is that your weight is totally controlled by how much you put in your mouth and not so much what you put in your mouth. Now saying that I have done both roads so have experienced both methods...the "normal" way and the operation way. I have always struggled with my weight ever since I was young and for quite a long time I was a bit of a workaholic and that didnt help. Back in the mid 90's I was doing my PPL and CASA knocked me back on my medical as I was just starting out to be a diabetic. Back then I was around 150kg. I tried to lose weight but struggled so much..running my business and 10 staff just couldnt keep my mind right to do it properly. So I bit the bullet and got a stomach band put in. This helped as I lost around 25kg but after a while the weight crept back on again and I used to sit around 135kg or so and just really couldnt do any better as it was easy to cheat the band. But its a tough road too because if you ate too fast or ate just that little bit too much and didnt chew it enough you would go out for dinner and always look where the toilet was as a lot of the time you would need to have to rush there and have a spew. It wasnt nice. After 10 years with the band it was starting to give me some grief with reflux and pain as it causes adhesions. Around this time I also found out about my blocked arteries so ended up having a triple bypass and the prognosis of it was basically because I wasnt looking after my diabeties this clogged up the arteries. So after I recovered and I have to say I felt heaps better after it I needed to try to get the diabeties well under control as I had not treated that disease with enough respect. So with the dramas I was having with the band I  went and saw the Dr who did the op and he said well its take it out and go back to std or after a band your only option is a gastric bypass and that is better for diabetic than a gastric sleeve. So I got the bypass done. I now sit around 105kg all the time. I eat so little food due to having such a small stomach literally what you can fit in the palm of your hand  is the amount you can eat. BUT there is one big thing that makes the difference. Since that op it does something to your brain. You rarely ever feel hungry and have to remind yourself to eat something. That is another thing that sounds easy but actually it isnt. It can be a real problem but after a while you get into a routine certainly during the working week but on the weekend I eat all all strange times and its not because I am hungry its a necessity to have enough energy. My wife was also overweight and she did not want to put up with me eating very little and her eating full meals she felt bad about it. of course I told her not to be ridiculous but she decided she would have the gastric sleeve. 

She sits at 84kg now pretty much all the time when we were married she was nearly 120kg. When we go out for dinner we share a meal and most times that meal is not finished by quite a lot. We both usually eat at the same times and I do all the cooking anyway. Our weight is maintaned to a pretty constant level and when I look at how much we used to eat I can not believe that we actually eat so little now yet we dont lose any more weight out weight remains stable as a rock. We dont deny ourselves any food or any type it is just we cant eat a lot of it and also once you eat you really cant eat for quite some time after. Another thing is you have to decide whether your drink or eat as you cant do both. So anyone who says you took the easy way out I can tell you there are other issues that you have to deal with when you have these operations done...especially the bypass like I have had done but when I look back at it all I have not regretted it one bit. I am healthier and fitter and of course can now add another 100 litres of fuel in the plane when we both get on board. The thing that helps the most is you do not get hunger pains.

A normal person trying to diet has to contend with the stomach telling your brain its hungry and this is the most difficult thing to deal with and most peoples downfall and I totally understand why as I have done both and I have so much respect for anyone who can lose the weight naturally and manage to keep it off. It is such a difficult thing. The operation makes it easier but as I said there are other issues you have to deal with and also put up with so in the overall scheme of things it is not the easy road that others claim it to be. For me its been aa great thing as I have regained control of my type 2 diabeties by bringing my HB1AC down from over 10 to under 7. and slowly getting better all the time as my pancreas has apparently started to work properly again and is slowly getting stronger. This has allowed me to now get my basic class2 medical and the DAME is very happy to sign me off with the way I have it controlled and also the heart bypasses and stress test show that all is pretty good. I now try to always make good decisions on food. I said becuofe you can literally eat anything you like which is true but the caveat is that because you dont eat much each mouthfull you put in your mouth really needs to be good quality food. Good protein and good vegetables is a must to maintain your body so you dont run out of puff during the day.

So thats my story. Hope some learnt something from it and may now think differently about what it is as a mission to lose weight the hard way and keep it off. its actually a big deal to be able to do it. The way I did it is different and expensive but worked for me after 55 years of being overweight

• Like 4
  • Informative 1

[ATTACH]37603[/ATTACH]I have been working on my takeoff weight since march this and have lowered it by 32KG

[ATTACH]37602[/ATTACH]

Goodonya shafs! ...Fortunately,  I`m one of those who doesn`t need to lose weight! I`m 70kg and have been that weight for most of my life!!!

Franco.

I know a lot of people who have had it done and it would be 99% are fine with the results. Ask the people who have actually had it not friends of friends etc as the story gets embellished. I have a relative who has had a lot of issues with hers...she has lost a stack of weight but has had issues vomiting and apparently is now lactose intollerant and cant eat bread. I saw her 2 weeks after her op which was the same as mine scoffing down a whole muffin....well sorry thats NOT what you are supposed to do. No wonder she was bringing it all up. There is a special regeim to stick to after the op..it is there for a reason if you do not follow the rules then usually something will go wrong and in her case it has but I believe it was all self inflicted. You need to follow the process for about  2 months before attempting solid foods. Mine was fine and so was my wifes and pretty much everyone else I have met who has had it done doesnt have any issues. So I believe the ones that do have trouble after its because they have not followed the rules

• Like 1

However you do it,  with weight, If you don't permanently change something you will put it back on. People who go on  crash diets and then put it back on are worse off than if they had remained steady. Some energy rich food will take a heap of exercise to cancel out. So better to restrict the food , or change it's nature, than exercise like you are preparing for a triathlon contest. As you get older it's easier to do some damage to yourself so the exercise programme has to be for your age group, not some 18 year old. If your muscles and  joints  get weak  you lack stability and are likely to fall. It's all a delicate balance, and a realization of where you are actually at, what can be done and what is risky.  Doing NOTHING in the way of exercise will cause muscle atrophy quite quickly. Loss of muscle mass is a risk with fast weight loss if you are a senior citizen.. Nev

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Goodonya shafs! ...Fortunately,  I`m one of those who doesn`t need to lose weight! I`m 70kg and have been that weight for most of my life!!!

Franco.

your very lucky franco  are you one of those people who can eat what they want

your very lucky franco  are you one of those people who can eat what they want

Yeah! Pretty much! but I`m not a big eater and I try to stay active... All the best with your new you!!! 

• Agree 1

However you do it,  with weight, If you don't permanently change something you will put it back on. People who go on  crash diets and then put it back on are worse off than if they had remained steady. Some energy rich food will take a heap of exercise to cancel out. So better to restrict the food , or change it's nature, than exercise like you are preparing for a triathlon contest. As you get older it's easier to do some damage to yourself so the exercise programme has to be for your age group, not some 18 year old. If your muscles and  joints  get weak  you lack stability and are likely to fall. It's all a delicate balance, and a realization of where you are actually at, what can be done and what is risky.  Doing NOTHING in the way of exercise will cause muscle atrophy quite quickly. Loss of muscle mass is a risk with fast weight loss if you are a senior citizen.. Nev

I am 45 and lightly overweight at 75 kg. I have decided to up the exercise a bit while eating healthier (and less). I am a member of a running club and there are lot of senior runners there, and very few of them are overweight. The last 10 km run I did with them I got overtaken by the oldest member Col, who is 84. He finished the 10 km run in 56 minutes, while I finished in 58. Pretty inspiring to be whooped by someone 40 years older than me! There are plenty of others at the club well into the their 70s who run regularly and many faster than me. Makes me think most of the battle I have had with getting out the door and exercising is in my head.

• Winner 1

The oldies tend to do OK in endurance situations, rather than sprint or weight  lifting achievement The injury aspect is a serious problem  as the weaknesses developed when you are immobilised don't recover like when you were younger.. Exercise of a certain kind will improve bone density which should be checked before doing any serious work.   Nev

The oldies tend to do OK in endurance situations, rather than sprint or weight  lifting achievement The injury aspect is a serious problem  as the weaknesses developed when you are immobilised don't recover like when you were younger.. Exercise of a certain kind will improve bone density which should be checked before doing any serious work.   Nev

Your right at 54 i lift less weight but do more repetitions. but when i was a spring chicken i was big weights! 

The Congratulations Go To !

KYLE

Anyone getting diabetes under control should get a medal.

My grand parents Parents & brother all suffered this disease, which I hope I don't get in  my ancient longevity.

Still using saccharin as I can't drink my tea unsweetened, & we all know how bad that is.

Congrats to all for weight control too.

spacesailor

Does having a specific reason to lose weight ease the mental difficulty? I've got a big reunion coming up the middle of next year. I'd love to lose 40 kg before hand as I've seen some recent pictures of the kids I went to school with. I was the fatty, they were thin. I'd love to walk in to the function looking like a sapling rather than a mature Moreton Bay Fig.

I think our problem has been the explosion of food outlets who serve up larger than necessary portions, with high energy concentrations. My problem is eating too much store-bought food. I should be making a sandwich to take for lunch, or evening meal when I'm working. Remember your dad going to work with a couple of devon sandwiches in a brown paper bag? It was only the beer that put a gut on him. The unsung hero of the take-away food shop is the fruiterer. Plenty of pre-packaged nourishment which can be consumed in large amounts to fill the stomach. Throw in a boiled egg of two , or some cheese and you have a low energy, satisfying lunch.

Also, I'm getting bored by the taste of food that is not home cooked. It's amazing how satisfying meat and two veg is, compared to pizza, fried chicken, Asian, and even a pommy baked dinner*. Home-cooked is also easier on the hip pocket nerve. Take-away as a time saver? It takes me about 30 minutes from go to whoa to cook meat and two. That's about the same time, or less, than it takes me to go an pick up take-away.

How is it that I can extol all these arguments in favour of sensible food choices, but still can't practice what I preach?

* Pommy baked dinner = Fish 'n' Chips

OME

A near death experience certainly drove me to take the action that I did. When it actually gets in your head you WILL die and it could be fairly immenent then this helps the motivation

Its really simple though...easy to say but very hard to implement.

You need to eat less amount of food. If you dont do this then be prepared to do lots of hours of exercise every week

The key to eating less food is to make sure what you stick down your gob is good wholesome food with very little carbs. Keep the protien high and the the fat reasonable. The whole deal about fat being bad has proven to be a crock. Even the guy who came up with that food triangle has apologised for getting it wrong for 40 years...he now says turn that triangle upside down.

I said in my post I do all the cooking and I do. What I do here is I do a cook up once a week where I make a chicken or beef curry or savoury mince or some concotion that I throw together that has meat and veges like peas and chick peas and carrot and small amount of potato and corn etc in it. I do a spag bol as well but only a small amount of pasta and more leaning to the meat sauce side. I then decant these into the small plastic 250ml containers like chinese containers then bung them in the freezer. This is what we eat for tea at night but the wife and I share one would you believe. I also make half filled versions to take to work for lunch.  For smoko I would recommend an apple or similar.

The issue you need to get over is the amount is small but good for you. Your stomach will be telling you that you need more. The easiest solution is have a water bottle handy and take a big swig of water that will fill the stomach a bit and get it off your mind. The other is sugar free gum....chew on this it also takes your mind off it.

I dont need to do that as most of the time I have to remind myself to actually eat something due to what the operation does to you but if you can do this I think you will be surprised how well it will work. 

Give it a squirt but the key is stay away from carbs as they eventually turn into sugar in your system....you should eat no more than 40grm of carbs in a day if you can manage it

I should add...I drink quite a lot of coffee but no sugar of course . Sugar and hidden sugars they the killer. And if you like a beer or three then you will be bashing your head against a wall. 1 or 2 beers a week would be the limit as they have lots of carbs in them. Carbs are your enemy..protein is your friend

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

The key, as Mark says, is what you put in your mouth. Our meals don't have to be huge, we don't have to eat bread, sugar and coffee. Long ago I switched to green tea, mainly because it's easy to make (no sugar or milk needed) but it's probably healthier than other drinks like coffee and coke that so many people seem to be addicted to. I also haven't eaten red meat for forty-odd years, preferring fish and chicken. I also do a lot of physical work and avoid the more ridiculous labour-saving devices.

I'm a bit like Franco: keeping my weight under control has been easy. I can still get into the racing leathers made for me in 1976. Genetics is a factor, but most of my close relatives battle to control their weight, so I admire anyone who can get their MTOW down.

image.jpeg.8629f50de254763406f670e817439dea.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Avoid processed food and soft drinks.. Non wild meat is fatty and poultry the same. Sugar salt and fat are addictive and cheap so eating out expect to get a lot. of that. Salt just hides more subtle flavours, and becomes a habit. You get enough usually, from natural sources to not need added salt.  Steam or grill, preferred or use a Wok. Don't overheat cooking oils  Use whole grains  and fresh nuts (keep in fridge) and quality Olive OIl.. Protein is expensive . Sugar substitutes can have bad side effects.. Green tea in excess can cause liver damage.  Drink WATER. It's the best drink there is. Mineral water  rarely. You don't know what's in it.  IF I'm in a pub, Soda and bitters .  Give up cakes and pastries if you're serious and limit bread. If you are not going to maintain the "New " regime you will put it back on. IF you are stable in weight but have  a "gut" you want to get rid of a reduction in energy intake WILL shed weight. Exercising helps also. Slow reduction is best. Drastic FAD diets are dangerous.. As the fat is metabolized the toxins stored in them may make you fell pretty crook., as you eliminate them. Drink water. look after your Kidneys. Vital to your wellbeing. Some medically supplied  drugs are hard on your Kidneys. As you lose weight  some prescription drugs may become unnecessary and you can come of them, and that's all good.  None of this is expensive.. Do some of your own cooking and experiment with new vegetables.  Nev

• Agree 1

Fresh meat and Vegetables work well,  funny that when there was less take away options on every corner and people ate at home we all seemed slimmer and more active. I’m only a seventies vintage and I do not recall seeing so many large people as now (including in the mirror)

You are right Clinton. I am a sixties child and it was unheard of eating take away. I live in mackay and they won the award for the most overweight town in QLD And the other day they were celebrating the facts mcdonalds now sells burgers and fries 24/7. we are doomed.