Plane Crash Moorabbin 12/12/2019

Even though they actually have a bit of a rollbar, there is negative 'broomstick' head clearance in a Bristell, so it's useless anyway.. 

Another plane crash that apparently needs all of emergency services to attend, I count 22 men in one picture, likely more out of shot, and that's after they had extracted the guy.

• Like 2

Chance to get out of the office syndrome. Can't get past the Murdoch pay wall. Makes highwings look better. You've gotta be able to get out of this stuff when it inverts. There's enough CO2 in a little sparklet to lift it with an airbag of the right shape. Nev

• Like 1

Despite our concern for the pilot's well-being, this news report should be in the Funnies.

A light plane has crash landed at a Melbourne airport with dozens of crews required to free the pilot trapped inside.

A team of 24 firefighters from the Metropolitan Fire Brigade sprayed the aircraft with foam hose lines as a precaution while MFB Rescue Operators worked to free the pilot. Evidence Eradication Team strikes again

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F6b56d481-428f-4bb4-b35b-a15fc25ddbac

The aircraft is registered to Soar Aviaition (sic) and is believed to have been on a training flight when it went down. Soar Aviation refused to comment when contacted by 9News.

Wind at the time about 14 kts gusting to 19 kts SSW. Looks like an off-runway excursion then hit an uneven patch and nosed over. Direction of approach probably from the bottom of the picture.

Ok, so lots of ES attend, they hear it's a plane crash, maybe don't know what size and how many people involved, but what I can't understand is why so many are still there long after the peak danger period has been dealt with.

A team of 24 firefighters from the Metropolitan Fire Brigade sprayed the aircraft with foam hose lines as a precaution while MFB Rescue Operators worked to free the pilot. Evidence Eradication Team strikes again

The Bristell has it's fuel tanks unusually far out on the wings due to having large baggage compartments in the wings close to the cabin, where I see the white foam is where the tanks are

They have vents I would imagine. Better sure than sorry. IF I was inside it, trapped I wouldn't wave them away (as I have done with a smoking brake, that I knew only had a bit if residual brake oil on it and the foam would have not helped a hot brake, Cracks it). Nev

He's reported to have come down on Bundora Parade right in the middle of the flight schools and between the helicopters and the Tower.

The Tower is in the top RH Corner (look for the small circular shape.)

At least he's found a bit of green or a road to drop on to.

Going to be a very interesting story.

9371876_WDBundoraPde.JPG.fb56aab493eb28088987841603aab5d1.JPG

A valid response, but in defence of emergency services: when we get called, info is very sketchy and often dead wrong, so it's prudent to err on the side of caution. That might explain why so many units attend.

Unless the officer in charge sends them home, they might have to stay for hours.

Our own VRA squad has had mobs of calls to accidents on the nearby New England Highway. The initial report usually comes from a random motorist who has no idea which town he just drove thru; so, after setting off in our trucks we get redirected, often by twenty km or more.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Old K - I was under the impression that the operators on 000 can pinpoint your location pretty precisely from your phone data when you call in.

I know I've had some amazingly fast responses to emergency situations when I've called 000. I've even had a police car pull up alongside me (in response to my call), as I was still on the phone to the 000 operator.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Onetrack I wish we had those 000 operators! Maybe city mobile coverage is better, but we never get accurate locations and sometimes split up to drive in opposite directions to actually find the prang.

Besides getting vague locations on highways, finding a rural property can be a nightmare. Even if we actually know where "Strathleah Park" is, the new owners have probably changed the plurry farm's name, along with the 5km access road, without telling anyone. 

Over a decade ago our VRA teamed up with the local SES to attach big reflective Rural Addressing signs on every property. For the uninitiated, Rural Addressing numbers give distance along a particular road, to 10m accuracy. 1436 means 14.46 km from the start of that road, usually heading north or west. Odds on the left, evens on the right or, if at the end of a road, straight ahead.

• Informative 1

I took this photo from a point very close to where that red dot is ....

[ATTACH]42601[/ATTACH]

The red dot was just a Google Map marker for Bundora Parade but apart from that, tonight's Channel 9 vision seems to indicate it wasn't on Bundora Parade but out on the Airfield not far from the runway.