2020 raus elections

Bruce Tuncks

I am not because I cannot be bothered. Just pay up and fly, don't make waves and don't spend precious time on what someone else can do.

Just like every other RAAus member.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Log on to the RAA members' portal - go to Governance - 2020 Elections. There you will find the statements from all 4 candidates. They are:

• Michael Monk (standing for re-election)
  • Andrew Scheiffers
  • Simon Ozanne
  • Danni Maynard

• Informative 1

I am not because I cannot be bothered. Just pay up and fly, don't make waves and don't spend precious time on what someone else can do.

Just like every other RAAus member.

And therein lies the essence of the problem with self administration. The risk is those who do get involved may take the "industry" sector they administer down the wrong path. One only has to look over at the GFA who have managed to shrink the gliding movement is Oz by two thirds in about 3 decades.

Many other jurisdictions manage their recreation/private ops just fine without Part 149 type regulation.

And therein lies the essence of the problem with self administration. The risk is those who do get involved may take the "industry" sector they administer down the wrong path. One only has to look over at the GFA who have managed to shrink the gliding movement is Oz by two thirds in about 3 decades.

Many other jurisdictions manage their recreation/private ops just fine without Part 149 type regulation.

One quick fix would simply be to close down SAOs as a failure. After all we had one of the safest aviation industries in the world for nearly a hundred years without them.

So go through the list of SAOs and think about who would not be flying any more if that happened.

When you do go through the list its clear that there is a dispute over the "wrong path" in the form of democratic voters resupporting the organisation every election.

One quick fix would simply be to close down SAOs as a failure

South Africa saw the light and closed down their equivalent of RAAus earlier this year and South Africa could hardly be described as a shining light of public administration.

form of democratic voters resupporting the organisation every election.

If voting was compulsory you may get a different outcome. Also members of Part 149 organisations are effectively compelled to join the organisations to buy a licence to fly. It is within the scope of CASA to regulate to provide the same framework as existing today without the SAAO intermediaries. When all said and done, PPL pilots rarely have any direct contact with CASA by virtue of the delegation system.

• Like 1

If voting was compulsory you may get a different outcome.

Quite possible.

Also members of Part 149 organisations are effectively compelled to join the organisations to buy a licence to fly.

The original went something like this "We'll allow you to have exemption from some of the regulations, but you'll have to manage it yourself, and you'll have to take legal liability for your operations." Those may not have been the words; industries were subjected to a stealthy government exit, one in Victoria where the Authority got in so deep by not telling participants they had assumed responsibility, that they accepted they were negligent, released to the industry what they shaould have released ten years before and accepter that accidents in that uncovered first period would be their responsibility.

It is within the scope of CASA to regulate to provide the same framework as existing today without the SAAO intermediaries.

It certainly is, but if they let them in they assume legal liability whereas today the participants and their organisations carry that legal liability, so they are way ahead leaving it like it is and as mentioned earlier, that is supported by the vast percentage of voters.

When all said and done, PPL pilots rarely have any direct contact with CASA by virtue of the delegation system.

If you stay out of trouble, it's quite possible to have a happy flying life and retire from flying without ever having an incident with CASA, thousands have.

• 2 weeks later...

Meet the candidates

Election Candidate panel discussion - LIVE Wednesday 12 August 2020 at 7pm AEST

As part of our election cycle this year RAAus is working to encourage more members to vote, and engage with candidates online. Whilst this idea was born out of lockdown, it is an ideal way for more members to “meet” potential directors and become more informed about those people elected to lead RAAus.

RAAus encourages all members to submit questions prior to the live stream. Please email [email protected]

The live stream will be independently moderated and will give all candidates an opportunity to openly engage.

If you would like to learn more about the candidates you can view their election statements in the member portal, and in the August edition of Sport Pilot which will be landing in member's mailboxes soon. Also included in Sport Pilot are a ballot paper and return envelope. Voting in the RAAus 2020 Board Election closes on 25 September. There will be more opportunities for members to ask questions and engage with candidates throughout August.

To view the live panel discussion this Wednesday 12 August at 7:00pm AEST, please click here for Facebook, or view on YouTube.

• Like 1

IF you don't bother to vote, don't bother complaining. Also how many people would love to have the right to vote on anything.. In many parts of the world you don't ever get asked or permitted. If you wait till everythings perfect it won't happen and you wouldn't need to vote if it WAS. It's not easy to find out how GOOD some of the candidates are or might be but the GOOD ones deserve you making the effort to put them in. Ask around and trust someone you know for some advice or vote the same as they do. Anything is better than nothing .APATHY is rife in this organisation and has been for a long while.. IF you leave it always to others then a time will come where nobody is doing it. I know I'm ranting, but there. Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Well, just sat through 85 + minutes of the four candidates. Apart from Michael Monk, I wasn't overly impressed with any others. Seems to have attracted Defence Force, Canberra based candidates. I thought about standing, but decided I wasn't well known and wouldn't have a hope, but at least I knew a lot more about recreational flying. Next "Meet the Candidates" will be 9th Sept.

• Informative 1

You would have got my vote and I bet a lot of other forumites, FlyingVisla.

I agree with your summation. My experience with ex airforce types is that they are way too used to working with unlimited time and money and no real work to do. Yes I know that is over the top and I really thought the other candidates were nice people but as you said, only Monk stood out as good. Which of the other 3 do you think would be the most careful with our money?

Michael Monk could be the best of the candidates, I don't know, but from what I have seen of him he views the RAAus with rose tinted glasses. He didn't impress me face to face.

• Like 2

Thanks Yenn... what I am looking for is for people who will argue for fairer and safer airspace for all users and for more usable maintenance regulations for owner-maintainers. For example, I would like to see servicing done at the responsibility of the owner.

Perhaps I'm too much of a sceptic, but l think most candidates have their own private reasons for getting into the RAA hierarchy.

Either CFI's looking to expand regulation into more training or others using the RAA as a stepping stone into CASA and other aviation corporate oriented positions.

I don't see many with purely the effective management and running of the RAA as their one and only goal.

• Like 2

Michael Monk is true politician, Very clever at looking good & carefully saying what will be well received. Quite a polished operator. BUT, MM is there for MM only, not for RAA, & certainly NOT for the members, they are the simple mug's that keep him in a job.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 1

Voting closes on the 25th September, with usually a week or more for postal votes to arrive, then we will have two winners. The ballot papers will be in the August edition of Sport Pilot (which still hasn't arrived at our place) and another "Meet the Candidates" live broadcast 9th Sept. There are two vacancies, obviously Michael Monk is standing again, but it looks like the other Director isn't re-contesting.

I read what MM said in Australian Flying ans it appears that all he is interested in is getting a higher weight limit. Higher limit means more planes eligible, which means more income for RAAus. MM becomes leader of an even bigger empire. More members equals more voters to not be interested in what they vote for.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1