This may be the stupidest stunt I've ever seen...

Marty_d

Wouldn’t say it was that stupid. Relative work (forming up with other skydivers) is a pretty basic skill, one of the first things you learn once you get your licence. 

Once he linked up with the second guy, just a matter of hooking up the straps.

i would not say I was a skilled skydiver, but linking up like that .....even I could achieve that. Would ai do it.....probably not. 🙂

However I did see a video of a guy who landed on a giant aircushion....that had so many ways to go wrong. 

A lot of these people are simply adrenaline junkies with a basic death wish. I think they all secretly harbour a desire to find out what it's like to die.

Very few of the "extreme sport" members (such as wing-suiters, jet-suiters, base-jumpers, and those who balance on ledges, on towers or buildings, dozens or even hundreds of metres up, with no fall-arrest provisions) seem to get past 40.

I see where another jet-suiter (Vince Reffet) died in a "training" accident in Dubai a couple of days ago. No-one has revealed the precise reasons behind the accident event.

Edited by onetrack

Well, if you look on the bright side....If anything goes wrong they are the only casualty.

It makes absolutely no difference to the rest of us.

If that's what they want to do, let them go.

10 minutes ago, onetrack said:

A lot of these people are simply adrenaline junkies with a basic death wish. I think they all secretly harbour a desire to find out what it's like to die.

Very few of the "extreme sport" members (such as wing-suiters, jet-suiters, base-jumpers, and those who balance on ledges, on towers or buildings, dozens or even hundreds of metres up, with no fall-arrest provisions) seem to get past 40.

Onetrack, I can understand your assumptions, but that's all they are: assumptions. I jumped for many years, alongside a complete cross-section of humanity, and many, probably most of them were anything but adrenaline junkies with death wishes.

I know a lot of people who are (also) base jumpers who are well over 40, 50, 60 and 70.

I would agree with you that there seems to be a subset intent on pushing the limits.

• Like 1

In similar vein, I don't have a death wish, but I have done a lot of scuba diving, skydiving and I ride motorbikes, (Moto Guzzi Griso 1100 and V-Strom 1000).

Some people lump them all together with flying as dangerous activities.

In fact when I started flying lessons, I had a few comments along the lines of, "...another death wish activity" or " why don't you take up something safe like lawn bowls"?

I never considered skydiving dangerous, but it was great for honing one's mind, because you don't get to make too many mistakes.  🙂

• Like 1

That would be Scott Palmer, professional skydiver, base jumper and wingsuit pilot.

Holds multiple world records and championship titles.

Highly respected and sought after skydiving coach.

This would have been a thoroughly planned stunt, very little "Jackass" in this apart from the title.

• Like 1

I would agree that the guy is a highly experienced jumper, even without knowing who he is you can see his skill with maintaining different attitudes in free fall.

However I would also say that there is a lot that can go wrong with trying to attach harnesses (looks like he's hiding some straps under the shorts) while going straight down at 220km/h.  

I've done a tandem jump - just one, which I admit is not a great deal of experience, but there was a lot of strapping together and adjusting and tightening stuff and double checking before we jumped out of the plane.  Not a lot of time for that when you have to link up with someone else after your solo free fall. 

On 19/11/2020 at 1:35 PM, pmccarthy said:

I guess we all know that lawn bowls has the highest fatality rate of all Australian sports.

And I guess we all know that RAAus is the new lawn bowls.  😉 

• Like 1