Turns at low IAS

1 hour ago, Mike Gearon said:

In the 172 I was always on glide path or near enough. LSA I’ve been all the place and only really learned the above statement in the last few weeks. Well, learned because the CFI later asked why I didn’t just lift back up to the glide path and reduce speed at the same time instead of dragging it in while adding to an already too high airspeed.

I use reminder Airspeed correct, appropriate for conditions and ball in the centre.

Manage ENERGY is part of learning to fly. A skid ball is a rather simple instrument.

A sealed bent tube with some liquid in it to dampen the oscillations   A damped pendulum would do the same job.

Turn and BANK is an erroneous reference term likely to confuse and has no place in the discussion..  Nev

• Informative 1

13 hours ago, Yenn said:

Nor has tailwind. We never seem to realise that we fly in the wind, not in relation to the ground.

Should be dawning when closer to the ground and choosing a direction change or the parcel of wind itself choosing a direction change that makes the aircraft in relation to ground track

weathercock

slowdown

speedup

other? I’m probably missing something.. 

At my 110 hours this is what I’m trying to bring awareness of more strongly. Going to do more ground reference manoeuvres once landing LSA stops seeming to be difficult. Instructors last week really sorted it and I realised I’d been flying better a year ago. I remember last instructor a year ago and then just a few days ago saying to me a year ago I don’t have anything to do. I’ll sit back and relax. A few days ago not so much. Confident I’m sorting it. Less messing with controls and just want the upwind wheel nicely kissing the runway then settle the other guy then gently lower the nose. It’ll happen eventually.

They rarely land themselves. Varying wind effects mean you have to be ready to input the controls when landing particularly.  Put the required WORK in.  Lift only knows airspeed not groundspeed which creates the feeling of going faster /slower. If the freestream wind is a certain figure as you get closer to the ground  it will diminish and you can anticipate the  result will affect how your plane behaves.. Landing into a wind you may have a shorter hold off than you  expected. This as called windshear and can be quite violent in had weather or especially things called downbursts.. An Airman knows about air.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mike Gearon said:

Should be dawning when closer to the ground and choosing a direction change or the parcel of wind itself choosing a direction change that makes the aircraft in relation to ground track

weathercock

slowdown

speedup

other? I’m probably missing something.. 

At my 110 hours this is what I’m trying to bring awareness of more strongly. Going to do more ground reference manoeuvres once landing LSA stops seeming to be difficult. Instructors last week really sorted it and I realised I’d been flying better a year ago. I remember last instructor a year ago and then just a few days ago saying to me a year ago I don’t have anything to do. I’ll sit back and relax. A few days ago not so much. Confident I’m sorting it. Less messing with controls and just want the upwind wheel nicely kissing the runway then settle the other guy then gently lower the nose. It’ll happen eventually.

Every landing is, and will be different. There will be wider/narrower/longer/shorter runways. Also I found landing on grass in Tyabb different to landing at bitumen. When landing on grass, in addition to looking in the distance, I had much better landings when looking at the concrete taxiway to the left (when landing on 17 grass). Good idea is to memorise the picture and reference lines before taking off, but note, that will be different when flying into another aerodrome.

How far to look in the distance? When you're driving a car on the road with broken lines, you will see they become shorter and shorter until they become a single line. That is the point where you are not looking too far in the distance, and you can still see the side lines (eg. runway edges).

The wind will also fluctuate with every landings, then part of the day plays important role.. e.g. night landings are different beast, especially when practicing emergencies without lights.

Keep flying, there will be ups and downs, but every flight makes you a better pilot.

Cheers

• Agree 1

All you have to do is fly the aeroplane in the air, until it stops flying and lands. Until you are on the ground, you are in the air, which is most likely moving.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, facthunter said:

An Airman knows about air.  Nev

Pilot doctor who gave me medical in USA mentioned airman. I remember Great Plains long drive home and thinking I was about to be a qualified airman and that was a big deal.

Your post exceeds the knowledge input from Stick and Rudder. Exceeds in that it’s compact and full of on the mark explanation. Wolfgang is long winded and also talks about flippers instead of elevators. 

tyabb... I was shocked on first final to that skinny ribbon of bitumen. Used to runways you land nuclear bombers on. Wide and long. Now it’s not a consideration. 

Probably on topic drift now. I wonder about that. Who cares unless the thread is a factual reference point for quick scan. Sticky at thread start fixes that. Bugger, drifted again...

Maybe dashboard Jesus would make a good turn indicator? I’ve ordered a non religious more traditional portable type ball indicator to sit up in foxbat tomorrow. Might take Jesus until ball indicator turns up.

C7EFD1F5-6B7B-4ED8-B37D-1F9E9D6B9DFA.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Mike Gearon said:

Maybe dashboard Jesus would make a good turn indicator?

“There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.” Proverbs 14:12

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

Mike, the narrowest runway I have ever used was in the USA, at the Hilton ranch in Nevada. And here at Gawler, we use take-off pads which are real narrow, but it doesn't matter if you stray off them. The common thing is the private funding . Why go for narrow if somebody else is paying?

You can see both these things on Google I reckon.

At the Hilton ranch, I went off the narrow strip on my first landing with an LS4. These gliders have funny heel-brakes and using them stops you using the rudder. Experienced LS4 guys pull the rudder pedals up as close as they can go before landing, but I found out the trick the hard way. Going off the strip was not too bad, although the gravel there was very coarse.

• Agree 1

Are you sure that is Jesus? I am pretty sure he had brown hair and beard and a thinner face. I have seen pictures.

He did make a second coming, running the shoe repair and key-cut stall for a few years  at my local mall. I was the only person to notice.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, old man emu said:

“There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.” Proverbs 14:12

100 internet points to OME 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, old man emu said:

I’m unsure if this means I use the rudder Jesus sways toward?

8 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Are you sure that is Jesus? I am pretty sure he had brown hair and beard and a thinner face. I have seen pictures.

He did make a second coming, running the shoe repair and key-cut stall for a few years  at my local mall. I was the only person to notice.

😁😁🤣

2 hours ago, Bosi72 said:

Everything you know is wrong.

This guy explained everything...

He’s a lot like that devout Moslem who was lecturing the crowd about how the earth is flat, because it says that in the Koran...

That Indian guru is an expert on the Vaimānika Shāstra,  an early 20th-century Sanskrit text on aeronautics, obtained allegedly by mental channeling, about the construction of vimānas, the "chariots of the Gods". The existence of the text was revealed in 1952 by G. R. Josyer, according to whom it was written by one Pandit Subbaraya Shastry, who dictated it in 1918–1923. A Hindi translation was published in 1959, the Sanskrit text with an English translation in 1973. It has 3000 shlokas in 8 chapters. Subbaraya Shastry allegedly stated that the content was dictated to him by Maharishi Bharadvaja. 

A study by aeronautical and mechanical engineering at Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore in 1974 concluded that the aircraft described in the text were "poor concoctions" and that the author showed a complete lack of understanding of aeronautics. But we all know that academics always fight non-academics who propose ideas radically different from those of the academics.

A good read. http://upload.vedpuran.net/Uploads/121113the_vimanika_shastra.pdf

and a review http://cgpl.iisc.ernet.in/site/Portals/0/Publications/ReferedJournal/ACriticalStudyOfTheWorkVaimanikaShastra.pdf

• Informative 2