Turns at low IAS

10 hours ago, old man emu said:

Piss off

You attack and insult people who disagree with you, but will only stand behind your posts with angry words.

Never mind, my offer still stands. If you find someone with a degree in physics or aeronautical engineering who will publicly say you are more correct in the instances where I have disagreed, not only can you point to it and say I was wrong but you will earn $500 for your favorite charity. 

That is how confident I am in my information - I will put up $500 to zero to back it.

(I have taken a copy of the thread for the purposes of the offer, in case moderators decide to moderate.)

On 07/03/2021 at 7:38 PM, Bruce Tuncks said:

I gotta defend OME. I reckon his stuff is standard mechanics, like they once taught in physics classes.

There's a chance to earn $500 for your favorite charity then. (The offer only applies once i.e. the first person)

OK. You and your mate have won. After years of trying to make positive contributions to this site and its sister site you and your mate have succeeded in your goal to stop me doing so. Therefore, I am going to withdraw from the field completely. The time I have spent preparing my posts for several parts of this forum will now be spent doing things for people who appreciate the effort.

I shall follow the advice of the Judean philosopher, Jesus of Nazareth as recorded in Matthew 7:6.

4 hours ago, old man emu said:

OK. You and your mate have won. After years of trying to make positive contributions to this site and its sister site you and your mate have succeeded in your goal to stop me doing so. Therefore, I am going to withdraw from the field completely. The time I have spent preparing my posts for several parts of this forum will now be spent doing things for people who appreciate the effort.

I shall follow the advice of the Judean philosopher, Jesus of Nazareth as recorded in Matthew 7:6.

I suggest you spend your time learning from a qualified person, like a good physics teacher, and not from the internet. Also, please don’t teach people. 

I’ll give you $500 if you can demonstrate that something with a mass of 0.3 kg has a weight of 3 kg. Same thing with the AOA meter. If it works, you get the cash. 

My sense is that you will not be gone long. 

old man emu

Don,t go !,

Ask ' pylon500 '

If he has anything useful to submit, l think he like me, is keeping a low profile.

For me, it,s Way over my head, it,s frightening Maths here.

Could it be He has retired! .

LoL

spacesailor

As  a "driver" that has to potentially cope with sudden changes one just cannot make complex calculations in all situations . IF you need more lift, carry more speed. That lets the wing provide it and it's a "squared" rule so it works quickly. You should have NO unintended  (accidental) STALLS as you don't fly planes stalled except at the final stage of landing (sometimes) or flick rolls, etc... Nev

Is that directed at me Yenn? I try to keep things in simple terms and I'm always ready to explain something in my posts if necessary. As I've frequently said the last thing one wants in Aviation matters is confusion. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

SO

I,M TOTALLY CONFUSED. 

By all this Super math,s and science. 

Birds have wings !,

BUT

No math,s or science to make them fly !.

I wonder how they would survive if they had to spend Years learning all the Crap we have to learn ?.

One sixth of an hour to find your daily flying bill, 

Enough. 

spacesailor

• Like 2

Well, if we didn't learn the 'crap' we'd still believe that magic was the reason most things beyond our understanding actually happen. And, we'd still be living in caves and grunting.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

44 minutes ago, RossK said:

How do I unfollow a thread 😒

Click your icon (top left of screen) then select 'Manage Followed Content' then find the topic you want to not follow, select change preference, click 'Do not send me any notifications.

• Winner 1

Logged in for the first time on ages as I was sick of people just trying to show they know more than  everyone else... I notice things havent changed..... Someone, not that long ago asked why instructors dont comment on this sight, I can give you a few good reasons.. now back to PPRUNE

Edited by Jase T
this phone has small buttons and i have big fingers..

It makes me sad that we have trolls here. I enjoy everyone's contribution, but there is no need for the trolling which in the end will destroy this site. It isn't new, it has happened on and off for a decade. Good wishes to all.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

One of the great positives about being a member of the Gawler flying club is that the occupations of the members is so varied, each has something to contribute. We have computer scientists, agricultural scientists, a guy with a PhD in atmospherics. We have Doctors, coppers, farmers, butchers, bakers and candle stick makers. Computer programmers and electronics techs. It's great, and I believe this forum is much the same.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

It makes me sad that we have trolls here. I enjoy everyone's contribution, but there is no need for the trolling which in the end will destroy this site. It isn't new, it has happened on and off for a decade. Good wishes to all.

I think we have a duty to not let people state false things as fact, mislead other people and not be pulled up about it. 

Not long ago, I said that I had a *theory* about when to respond to something as a stall and when to respond to it as a spin. Someone replied that someone could die if they read what I said and acted on it. That was not the end of the world. 

When I post something that is wrong, I welcome the correction. Like when I conflated mass and inertia. I value negative feedback. It’s unpleasant but valuable.

I recognise that a number of people here think I’m a troll and therefore not good for the site. I honestly don’t know what to do about that, and welcome suggestions. One alternative is having a site that recommends using spirit levels to measure angle of attack. 

Is there a way to have a site that does not recommend spirit levels to measure angle of attack and does not make multiple  members feel there are trolls? 

(A troll is someone who acts in bad faith, which clearly I am not. But the point is that people find what I was posting unpleasant.) 

• Agree 1

There is a lot of high-powered tech stuff here and I sure like it. But we don't suffer stupidity very well, and so the site  does not keep some types. For example, there were some psychic types who got met with appropriate skepticism and left. Personally, I am a bit saddened by OME spitting the dummy but the guys who disagreed with him were more right.

Here's what OME was getting at...   If a 3kg mass is weighed where g=10m/sec2, there is 30 N. But Newtons are not for ordinary folk so the fish-scale you buy assumes 10N=1 kg weight-force and so it reads 3kg.

Now you foolishly take your spring scale to the moon ( g=1.6m/sec2) and the 3kg mass now is 480 grams according to the scale. Therefore 3kg has become 480 grams. Of course it has not, the error was in the assumption built into the fish scales.

Common usage has changed the perception of many terms. inertia being one of them The U/L fraternity persist with their term LOW inertia when they probably mean "Light and high drag" where the speed washes off fast when the fan stops . A formula for something explains (often not perfectly) what something does. The formula doesn't CAUSE it to happen.  Newtonian physics are very important in flying.  A good grasp of their effect beats being able to quote the first, second etc in correct order.. Nev

• Like 2

I think low inertia is a good word to use for aircraft like the thruster. Whilst maybe not technically correct inertia to my simple mind is the same as kinetic? or stored energy in a moving object. ke = 1/2 x mass x velocity x velocity. An rv6 at 140knots has 14 times as much as the thruster at 50knots. 

• Like 1